Wow, I am in love with ABBA!!!

bluesbreaker

what the hell

No shit. What's next....a thread declaring love for the Bee Gees? :wacko:

Good music, why not.

He asks the question and it happens. ILS and his jive talkin must have inspired Mr. Hatchet. :LOL:

Abba were bloody brilliant. Haters gonna hate, but it's because they don't understand: there's more to "good music" than amazing chops and super-complicated ("Proggy") arrangements. It takes quite a bit of artistry to craft perfect, super catchy, hook-laden three-minute pop songs. That's not the same kind of artistry as Rush, but it's still real artistry.

Every Abba hit was catchy as hell; each had some kind of "hook" to it which made you want to listen again. (And it only occurred to me this weekend: if there were approximately two great hits on each of their nine albums [they had a total of 18 hits in the states], couldn't there be MORE great songs on those nine albums? As a fan of their hits, I really should consider digging deeper into their catalog!)

Benny and Bjorn's arrangements. The combined voices of Agnetha and Frida, which created an amazing and beautiful "third voice." The production of Michael Tretow, which gave the gals' voices even MORE of an original sound, something inexplicably appealing. Abba were something really wonderful and unique! Is it bubblegummy and poppy? Yes, but it's also something more.

And I'm not gay, I swear! :LOL: I'm not an Abba fan because I want to dress like Frida; I'm an Abba fan because I genuinely like the music and because I want to SHTUP Frida! :drool: I don't get all the love for Agnetha; I'm a Frida lover!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_RtMJ-VAHcnQ/TDP9LnHhYDI/AAAAAAAAA0M/_LxJjWdXWXo/s1600/FRIDA22.JPG

Edited by GeddyRulz
  • Like 1

Abba were bloody brilliant. Haters gonna hate, but it's because they don't understand: there's more to "good music" than amazing chops and super-complicated ("Proggy") arrangements. It takes quite a bit of artistry to craft perfect, super catchy, hook-laden three-minute pop songs. That's not the same kind of artistry as Rush, but it's still real artistry.

Every Abba hit was catchy as hell; each had some kind of "hook" to it which made you want to listen again. (And it only occurred to me this weekend: if there were approximately two great hits on each of their nine albums [they had a total of 18 hits in the states], couldn't there be MORE great songs on those nine albums? As a fan of their hits, I really should consider digging deeper into their catalog!)

Benny and Bjorn's arrangements. The combined voices of Agnetha and Frida, which created an amazing and beautiful "third voice." The production of Michael Tretow, which gave the gals' voices even MORE of an original sound, something inexplicably appealing. Abba were something really wonderful and unique! Is it bubblegummy and poppy? Yes, but it's also something more.

And I'm not gay, I swear! :LOL: I'm not an Abba fan because I want to dress like Frida; I'm an Abba fan because I genuinely like the music and because I want to SHTUP Frida! :drool: I don't get all the love for Agnetha; I'm a Frida lover!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_RtMJ-VAHcnQ/TDP9LnHhYDI/AAAAAAAAA0M/_LxJjWdXWXo/s1600/FRIDA22.JPG

Miss your posts like this one GR, glad you're back on MOTS. Agnetha was always the bitchy one but I can't help liking her overall style more. I'm as gay as a dandy but whatever.

Was Agnetha really "bitchy"?

I thought she was easily upset by comments about her APPEARANCE above her talent. For example, the Australian reporter who told her she had "the best tush in popular music."

I also think Agnetha had the DARKEST personality of the four. Scandinavians can be pretty dark in general, and their suicide rate is high. (Perhaps it's the weather that contributes to their depression.) Agnetha can often be seen in videos and photographs looking like she's psychologically tortured, under duress, and generally PAINED. After the band broke up in 1982, Agnetha essentially became a recluse, only leaving her apartment for short solitary walks. This was not a HAPPY person; it's a wonder she didn't commit suicide.

I thought she was easily upset by comments about her APPEARANCE above her talent. For example, the Australian reporter who told her she had "the best tush in popular music."

I also think Agnetha had the DARKEST personality of the four. Scandinavians can be pretty dark in general, and their suicide rate is high. (Perhaps it's the weather that contributes to their depression.) Agnetha can often be seen in videos and photographs looking like she's psychologically tortured, under duress, and generally PAINED. After the band broke up in 1982, Agnetha essentially became a recluse, only leaving her apartment for short solitary walks. This was not a HAPPY person; it's a wonder she didn't commit suicide.

Her new album debuted in the UK charts at #6! Mind you, what I've heard of it is f***ing horrible. But, in interviews she seems much happier. She seems to be in a much better place nowadays.

Her new album debuted in the UK charts at #6! Mind you, what I've heard of it is f***ing horrible. But, in interviews she seems much happier. She seems to be in a much better place nowadays.

Yeah, I saw a couple interviews of her promoting this new album and she does seem "happier." Maybe she finally put some demons behind her.

I've heard that Frida was the only one of the four who actually LIKED touring, and the only one who'd be open to a "reunion tour." Since the other three have said 'no way in hell,' it's probably unlikely. It may be a good thing they haven't reunited; we're left with a pure memory of them at the top of their game, not a group of seniors cranking out oldies for money.

Nah, I was just messing.

She was definitely the most unbalanced through. When motherhood kicked in success became bitter/sweet for her...then of course the divorce didn't help. All the later drama did make for some amazing material, that's for sure.

Edited by Steevo

She was definitely the most unbalanced though. When motherhood kicked in success became bitter/sweet for her...then of course the divorce didn't help. All the later drama did make for some amazing material though.

Agreed.

Funny thing is, most Swedes take marriage and divorce very lightly. For one thing, more than any other country Sweden has a lot of cases where couples stay together for many years (even lifetimes) but NEVER MARRY; it's just not important to them. As for divorce, Benny once said in an interview that it's no big deal in Sweden - you just re-marry, your Ex remarries, you both have kids with new partners, and there's no animosity between Exes. Apparently Agnetha doesn't feel the way most Swedes do; you can tell the divorce hit her hard.

There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with catchy pop songs, and I'm not saying Abba didn't have talent. They obviously had loads of talent... but it doesn't make their music any less annoying to me.

There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with catchy pop songs, and I'm not saying Abba didn't have talent. They obviously had loads of talent... but it doesn't make their music any less annoying to me.

You find Abba music annoying? Really? Whodathunkit? Christ, that came out of left field.

You find Abba music annoying? Really? Whodathunkit? Christ, that came out of left field.

I know, right? :P

ABBA were my first "favorite band". I still like their songs after all these years. Like Rush, I have memories attached to certain songs.

Wow, you just can't leave this one alone can you! :nya nya:

I think we should take goober and strip him down to his underwear, tie him to a chair, and make him listen to ABBA over and over. Nyahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

First off goob and the rest, excuse me for lifting this thread up again cause I've got to say what I wanna say. ;)

I think the darkness in Agnetha's personality is pretty common among artists, especially musicians and painters. She was quite neurotic IMO.

Not to mention she was harassed by her former boyfriend in mid-1990s or so, if I remember correctly.

Obviously she has chilled out quite a bit these days.

There's a recent article (forgot the source) that describes her as a child prodigy who could write songs and play harp at 4 and was highly sensitive to her surroundings. Anyway I truly think that it's another miracle that she did not become addicted to drugs, because what you pointed out somehow reminds me of Syd Barrett.

Edited by bluesbreaker

First off goob and the rest, excuse me for lifting this thread up again cause I've got to say what I wanna say. ;)

I think the darkness in Agnetha's personality is pretty common among artists, especially musicians and painters. She was quite neurotic IMO.

Not to mention she was harassed by her former boyfriend in mid-1990s or so, if I remember correctly.

There's a recent article (forgot the source) that describes her as a child prodigy who could write songs and play harp at 4 and was highly sensitive to her surroundings. Anyway I truly think that it's another miracle that she did not become addicted to drugs, because what you pointed out somehow reminds me of Syd Barrett.

Ha! You mentioned Syd Barrett in an Abba thread. Goobs is gonna go doolally.

• Like 1

No, it's cool. The comparisons are so obvious. :yes:

:wtf:

It's practically Pavlovian at this stage.

• Like 1

It's practically Pavlovian at this stage.

I live to be predictable.