Wow, I am in love with ABBA!!!

bluesbreaker

Ah yeah....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pQPuAlVIOv4

What's that sound, what's that dreadful rumble?

Won't somebody tell me what I hear?

In the distance but drawing near

Is it only a storm approaching?

All that thunder and the blinding light

In the winter night

In the grip of this cold December

You and I have reason to remember

Ok, it's a more serious and slowed down version of the group (as is the title track from The Visitors), but unfortunately it still sounds like Abba. The most interesting thing about Abba to me is their name is a palindrome.

Edited by rushgoober

Ah, Goober, you sad old RRHOF groupie. Did you date Jan Wenner in the '60's? Something is up. If the Moody Blues ever get in, you're going to be IMPOSSIBLE.

The whole point was to hear Rush talking about Abba (in a not very complimentary manner)... and their relation to rock music... which is what Rush is and The Rush Forum is about... and of course other types of music are discussed here, especially on this sub-forum, and rightly so... but I'm just sayin'... :P ;)

:unsure:

Edited by rushgoober

:LMAO:

Sadly, that's about what the actual Abba sounds like to me.

If that is true, then I seriously question your ability to recognize talented musicianship, song writing and/or vocal ability.

:yes:

If that is true, then I seriously question your ability to recognize talented musicianship, song writing and/or vocal ability.

I would agree that Abba has talented musicianship, decent songwriting and vocal ability (though the vocals do get annoying after a short while)... but it's still Abba, and it's still throwaway goofy pop music IMHO.

ABBA ain't got nuthin on The Beatles. And I refuse to see Mama Mia!! :madra:

Mama mia the production was ghastly...they are on the same level as The Beatles as far as I'm concerned, all there is to it, I don't care what anyone says.

The much underrated Bang-A-Boomerang, good energy back then. Hey Goobs, this one's for you of course! :hi:

http://youtu.be/_CsJCa2TlXU

Ok, after I saw THIS video, I am turned around completely and I am now most definitively a fan!

That is, of course, if you define "fan" as throwing up in my mouth a little.

Alright, I don't HATE Abba. I mean, I was a kid in the 70's and I've been known to have moments of having a soft spot for disco, though it's mostly just feelings of nostalgia. I don't really have anything horrible to say about them other than to say that:

ABBA is souless shimmering skin deep superficial pop.

Sorry, had to laugh at that one. Absolutely amazing use of alliteration in your analysis of Abba!

Also it's completely misguided but whatever...played that vid for the predictable reaction, and you fell for it of course. Genius is biting you in the ass and you can't even see it :rage:

Oh now don't get bent out of shape. I'm just having some fun. FWIW, I'd rather listen to 2 hours of Abba than 5 minutes of rap or 3 minutes of country or opera. In the right context I can enjoy the occasional Abba song - it's rare, but it's happened.

And this one is for YOU :P :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhW68WE8F8s

Ha, I knew you had to be having some fun Goobs...yeah I can also admit their cheese-meter can run dangerously near the red on a few occasions, it is Abba after all. All I can say is they must be one of the most misunderstood pop acts out there. But congrats on your work here...it's fun to play defend, up to a point I guess.

ABBA ain't got nuthin on The Beatles. And I refuse to see Mama Mia!! :madra:

Mama mia the production was ghastly...they are on the same level as The Beatles as far as I'm concerned, all there is to it, I don't care what anyone says.

The much underrated Bang-A-Boomerang, good energy back then. Hey Goobs, this one's for you of course! :hi:

http://youtu.be/_CsJCa2TlXU

Ok, after I saw THIS video, I am turned around completely and I am now most definitively a fan!

That is, of course, if you define "fan" as throwing up in my mouth a little.

Alright, I don't HATE Abba. I mean, I was a kid in the 70's and I've been known to have moments of having a soft spot for disco, though it's mostly just feelings of nostalgia. I don't really have anything horrible to say about them other than to say that:

ABBA is souless shimmering skin deep superficial pop.

Sorry, had to laugh at that one. Absolutely amazing use of alliteration in your analysis of Abba!

Also it's completely misguided but whatever...played that vid for the predictable reaction, and you fell for it of course. Genius is biting you in the ass and you can't even see it :rage:

Oh now don't get bent out of shape. I'm just having some fun. FWIW, I'd rather listen to 2 hours of Abba than 5 minutes of rap or 3 minutes of country or opera. In the right context I can enjoy the occasional Abba song - it's rare, but it's happened.

And this one is for YOU :P :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhW68WE8F8s

Ha, I knew you had to be having some fun Goobs...yeah I can also admit their cheese-meter can run dangerously near the red on a few occasions, it is Abba after all. All I can say is they must be one of the most misunderstood pop acts out there. But congrats on your work here...it's fun to play defend, up to a point I guess.

On a few occasions? Dude, they resided not just in Sweden, but deep in the land of velveeta. It's like their entire discography has been submerged in fondue:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y268/rushgoober/abbafondue.jpg

You always have to get the last word in don'tcha trouble-maker. Oh you're a hopeless case, ye of poor music taste :smash:

He has great taste, in prog....but after that....meh. Methinks he doth protest too much. (I reckon he's wearing leather chaps right now, dancing under a glitter ball, with a greased up guy called Chester, roaring "GIT DOWN ON IT, SISTAH!!!!!")

You always have to get the last word in don'tcha trouble-maker. Oh you're a hopeless case, ye of poor music taste :smash:

He has great taste, in prog....but after that....meh. Methinks he doth protest too much. (I reckon he's wearing leather chaps right now, dancing under a glitter ball, with a greased up guy called Chester, roaring "GIT DOWN ON IT, SISTAH!!!!!")

OK, the above video is the one I saw about Geddy and Alex's comment on ABBA. Thank you!

What about it? It has zero reflection on Abba. The rest is just Goobs trying to act like a troll, but we all have his number k?

Edited by Steevo

I would agree that Abba has talented musicianship, decent songwriting and vocal ability (though the vocals do get annoying after a short while)... but it's still Abba, and it's still throwaway goofy pop music IMHO.

That's enough already. :rage: Don't make me play the Twilight card.

OK, the above video is the one I saw about Geddy and Alex's comment on ABBA. Thank you!

What about it? It has zero reflection on Abba. The rest is just Goobs trying to act like a troll, but we all have his number k?

I am sorry, guess I was in a hurry while I was typing so I was not specific....lol.....

I meant this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mMSEW6UYF88

IMO, the issue of RRHOF is totally another topic, but to me neither Rush nor ABBA needs to be inducted. Just my 2 cents.....

Edited by bluesbreaker
  • Like 1