Wow, I am in love with ABBA!!!

bluesbreaker

ABBA. How I love you!

And every song you have ever recorded...album released...bootlegs let loose on my life...dodgy outfits...

the list goes on and on and on (keep on rocking baby...)

I realize there are a couple of old ABBA threads but I don't wanna resurrect them so here I am......

My musical taste gravitates towards classic rock and prog rock as all of you do. After I listened to Rush's Xanadu on the Tube I came across with the video of Dancing Queen and I decided to watch it closely. I was hooked. Then I clicked on an instrumental called Arrival.

Bang. Hit me like tons of bricks. So Rush is not the only guilty of the musical spell fell upon me for the past couple of months......

I am sure many people bash them because they were labeled as a disco band, but their music is way beyond most people's imagination. Their songs have tasty instrumentation and harmonies. Some of them even have proggy keyboards. Many rock and pop's who's who love ABBA. Blackmore once claimed that during a vacation all he listened was ABBA. Steve Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt are ABBA fanboys. Speaking of Akerfeldt, he is such a lucky bastard!

http://www.straight.com/music/opeth-records-its-heritage-abbas-former-studio

I really think that ABBA had that X factor that was right on par with that of Elvis, Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury, etc......

Oh, this Yngwie cover of ABBA is KILLEEEEER!!!!!

I just watched those two videos and alI I could think was.. I already admitted to liking the Bee Gees and Kiss in another thread and now here I am watching Abba videos..

not to dis Abba yet but TRF has definitely taken me to better places! maybe try this another time lol

they didn't go through like a prog-metal phase or anything did they..?

• Like 1

I realize there are a couple of old ABBA threads but I don't wanna resurrect them so here I am......

My musical taste gravitates towards classic rock and prog rock as all of you do. After I listened to Rush's Xanadu on the Tube I came across with the video of Dancing Queen and I decided to watch it closely. I was hooked. Then I clicked on an instrumental called Arrival.

Bang. Hit me like tons of bricks. So Rush is not the only guilty of the musical spell fell upon me for the past couple of months......

I am sure many people bash them because they were labeled as a disco band, but their music is way beyond most people's imagination. Their songs have tasty instrumentation and harmonies. Some of them even have proggy keyboards. Many rock and pop's who's who love ABBA. Blackmore once claimed that during a vacation all he listened was ABBA. Steve Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt are ABBA fanboys. Speaking of Akerfeldt, he is such a lucky bastard!

I really think that ABBA had that X factor that was right on par with that of Elvis, Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury, etc......

I just watched those two videos and alI I could think was.. I already admitted to liking the Bee Gees and Kiss in another thread and now here I am watching Abba videos..

not to dis Abba yet but TRF has definitely taken me to better places! maybe try this another time lol

lol, good or bad music, nothing else.

• Like 1

lol, good or bad music, nothing else.

True. *sigh.. Ok. Lol

ABBA are one of the greatest bands of all time due to the melodies, vocals, and energy, which for me rank them high above any other pop/rock act of the seventies (and eighties...nineties...00's). The vocals especially are sublime, and throughout all the bands albums there are to be found many wonderful lyrics. Sure, there are a lot of silly songs, but then again this is pop! Even The Beatles had Bungalow Bill and Maxwell's Silver Hammer! ABBA's worst set of lyrics is the bouncy, fun fluff of Bang A Boomerang.

I think ABBA were the best pop act of their era. No longer my favourite musical act of the seventies, I would say that as a whole, they were possibly the best (I happen to prefer Rush and Fleetwood Mac, as well as Springsteen), because they are just the bomb!

What frustrates me about the media is the focus on the cheesy aspects of their music, and less on the crystalline beauty of much of their more emotional, deeper cuts such as When All Is Said And Done or The Winner Takes It All.

I take it back. I prefer ABBA to Fleetwood Mac.

Truthfully I don't know enough about them to consider them great. What I do know is their "popular" songs are hard to deny. When I hear them I must turn them up, sing along (badly I might add) and its difficult to stay still.... :)

Truthfully I don't know enough about them to consider them great. What I do know is their "popular" songs are hard to deny. When I hear them I must turn them up, sing along (badly I might add) and its difficult to stay still.... :)

Aww Narpetski...I am sure you do a great rendition of Mamma Mia!

• Like 1

There is a ABBA tribute band playing around my way in July. My wife really wants to go. I think you all have convinced me to give it a shot.

Lol it could go badly wrong...they up the cheese factor 110%

• Like 1

There is a ABBA tribute band playing around my way in July. My wife really wants to go. I think you all have convinced me to give it a shot.

A money thing?

A money thing?

Maybe...

A money thing?

Maybe...

Maybe I am wrong but,

Are they charging some insane prices. :huh:

Edited by troutman

Steven Wilson recorded The Day Before You Came on his Cover Versions series. Here it is, if you haven't heard it before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UZjXqbNWvQ

I didn't know he ever played it live...I'll have to look into those bootlegs!

For some reason I missed this clip. And it's an amazing version of course.

Ever heard of a 1980s UK group called Blancmange doing a version of The Day Before You Came? It was godawful, like wading through jelly while simultaneously drowning...

Steven Wilson recorded The Day Before You Came on his Cover Versions series. Here it is, if you haven't heard it before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UZjXqbNWvQ

I didn't know he ever played it live...I'll have to look into those bootlegs!

For some reason I missed this clip. And it's an amazing version of course.

Ever heard of a 1980s UK group called Blancmange doing a version of The Day Before You Came? It was godawful, like wading through jelly while simultaneously drowning...

No but you have me intrigued...all versions of Abba are worth pursuing! We even had a bunch of Kiwi musos here make an entire album of covers in tribute. Most of it was dodgy but I applaude them for taking the task on.

A money thing?

Maybe...

Maybe I am wrong but,

Are they charging some insane prices. :huh:

We're very tight financially but that's not the reason. I never really got into Abba. I bit too theatrical for me although I'm digging what I'm hearing here I'm a sucker for great harmonies.

ABBA. How I love you!

And every song you have ever recorded...album released...bootlegs let loose on my life...dodgy outfits...

I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE . . . . . . .

I told my brother & he about disowned me !

Just recently I have watch an overwhelming amount of ABBA stuff on You-Tube

Very catchy stuff in a quick 8 year run

:dweez:

ABBA. How I love you!

I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE . . . . . . .

I told my brother & he about disowned me !

Just recently I have watch an overwhelming amount of ABBA stuff on You-Tube

Very catchy stuff in a quick 8 year run

:dweez:

On the surface, they can seem irritating, overly slick, and saccharine. But beneath the surface is a melancholy chill, heartbreak, drama and astonishing beauty. Yes, on the one hand we have the frothy, throwaway lyrics of the bouncy When I Kissed The Teacher. But then again, we also have the sinister, experimental darkness that pervades songs such as The Visitors, The Day Before You Came and Like An Angel Passing Through My Room.

As far as pop music goes, ABBA are equaled, or bettered, only by The Beatles. And I haven't even mentioned how amazing the vocal work is! Go back and listen to Dancing Queen. Nigh on impossible to replicate!

Abba are f***ing brilliant. Mike Oldfield did a killer version of Arrival. And, most of their albums are bloody marvellous. The last one, The Visitors, is astonishing. Full of little prog moments too, seriously. Benny & Bjorn were serious arrangers. They did not f**k about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1hK8CWlYcA

f**k the haters.

(lots of f*cks there, in a bit of a sweary Mary mood today, f*ckers.)

ABBA will always be in my TOP TEN of all time.

I've been listening to their entire catalog over the last several nights. It's perfect music to listen to if you live alone after getting a fantastic divorce.

ABBA RULES!!!!!!!!!

I'm just bumming this awesome thread back up to the top!!

The album by Frida with Phil Collins is also off the charts!!!!

"There's Something Going On" kids.

Damn I wish ABBA didn't turn down that 500 MILLION to do one final tour.

I would have gone.

• Like 1