Wow, I am in love with ABBA!!!

bluesbreaker

I've been digging further into Abba's history, and while I can't yet speak with certainty about the "psychologically tortured" Agnetha, it turns out that Frida was very depressed, off and on, her whole life. She had reason to be. Not only did she have the standard Scandinavian bent towards "darkness," the stress of being a professional touring musician, and of being under constant public scrutiny, but it turns out she was born with a real problem...

Frida's biological father was a Nazi officer in occupied Norway, who got Frida's mother Synni pregnant and then left after the war, before Frida was born. The (naturally) strong feelings against Nazis took a bad turn after the war, in the form of labeling women in Synni's position (women who'd mated with Nazi soldiers) "German whores" and "mental defectives." And of people in Frida's position (the progeny of a Nazi), it was said that 80% were probably retarded. Children like Frida were vilified, abused, confined to mental institutions, beaten, raped, and treated like sub-humans well into the 1960s. Fortunately, Frida and her mother escaped most of that kind of treatment, by moving to Sweden - a place where people didn't know them - while Frida was still a baby. Frida's mother died shortly after the move, and Frida was raised by her grandmother. Part of the stigma of being the child of a Nazi stuck with Frida all her life. "I didn't have many friends. I thought everything about me was wrong - that there was nothing about me that was worth loving."

More recent (post-Abba) stuff for Frida to be depressed about: Her daughter, age 30, died following a car accident in 1998, and her husband died in 1999 after just 7 years of marriage.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6dujqI7Jw1r3ghzho1_1280.jpg

Edited by GeddyRulz

Now that's truly tragic..... ;(

If Neil read her story he may add another song to the Fear series.

Imagine. How would Abbahater #1 cope with that?

Well ABBA's music is one thing. Their member's past history is another.

Besides Neil would not make direct reference to Frida's childhood in the lyrics of course.

In fact I am sure both Neil and Geddy would feel sympathetic toward her.

Edited by bluesbreaker

^ Oh well, I thought it was cool news when I read it.

Saw a short piece on Bjorn and Agnetha last night. She has a new album out (?), but most of it focused on their story in Abba. Excellent television for a change.

:hi: Hullo Goobs :)

Yeah, Agnetha has been making the rounds promoting a new album. It's one again got the press asking about a possible reunion... which won't even happen, and perhaps that's for the best. While it would be nice to actually see them live, why taint the pure memory people have of them in their younger heyday with the sight of a group of seniors cranking out oldies for cash?

Agnetha's album is called "A," which I'm guessing is a reference to her being one of the two A's in the acronym ABBA (Anni-Frid, Benny, Bjorn, Agnetha).

• Like 1

Yeah, Agnetha has been making the rounds promoting a new album. It's one again got the press asking about a possible reunion... which won't even happen, and perhaps that's for the best. While it would be nice to actually see them live, why taint the pure memory people have of them in their younger heyday with the sight of a group of seniors cranking out oldies for cash?

Couldn't agree more, and yet another example of their class.

Agnetha's album is called "A," which I'm guessing is a reference to her being one of the two A's in the acronym ABBA (Anni-Frid, Benny, Bjorn, Agnetha).

She said that the reunion won't happen and I agree with her. It's better for all of us that way. at least neither for a concert nor for a new album.

But having them standing together for a shot for an important cause is fine for me.

Hi Goob!

I had a secret crush on Abba when I was pre-teen. Didn't want my friends to know as they would mock me. I used to listen to radio and whenever a song came on that I liked, I would record it on tape. Whenever I hear an Abba song I'm taken back to those days listening to radio, and playing the very first Sim City on MSDOS.

I made myself feel old :oops:

• Like 1

I had a secret crush on Abba when I was pre-teen. Didn't want my friends to know as they would mock me. I used to listen to radio and whenever a song came on that I liked, I would record it on tape. Whenever I hear an Abba song I'm taken back to those days listening to radio, and playing the very first Sim City on MSDOS.

I made myself feel old :oops:

Psssst...I still have a secret crush on them, just don't tell anybody :ph34r:

• Like 1

ABBA IS AMAZING. Yes.

The other day, Lucy refused to get up from her nap. I played Take A Chance On me at top volume, grabbed her toy microphone and rocked that shiiiiii hahaha.

...woke her up pretty fast, she was kinda angry lmao.

ABBA IS AMAZING. Yes.

The other day, Lucy refused to get up from her nap. I played Take A Chance On me at top volume, grabbed her toy microphone and rocked that shiiiiii hahaha.

Hahaha, you just made me think of when I shared an apartment years ago, with the drummer from my band. He's an early riser while I'm the sleep late type of person, so he would put an 80s song on full blast, enter my room Kramer style in the most ridiculous outfit and drag me out. We then got the habit of doing the most ugly aerobics with that song blasting from the speakers. You might be dizzy the first 30 seconds, but it quickens you up faster than a strong brew of coffee :D :dweez: :chickendance:

• Like 1

http://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/files/2/9/7/4/6/this_thread_wont_die.jpg

Like your VT horseshit.

If I had to make a choice, I'd rather listen to Abba any day of the week over VT, but still... It's Abba!

http://img.pandawhale.com/65402-zoolander-crazy-pills-gif-6laR.gif

What's next, TRF rockers pledging their love to The Backstreet Boys? The Spice Girls? Justin Beiber? Yanni? Loverboy? Hannah Montana?

Seriously...

http://i.qkme.me/3rh1v2.jpg

• Like 1

ABBA IS AMAZING. Yes.

Hahaha, you just made me think of when I shared an apartment years ago, with the drummer from my band. He's an early riser while I'm the sleep late type of person, so he would put an 80s song on full blast, enter my room Kramer style in the most ridiculous outfit and drag me out. We then got the habit of doing the most ugly aerobics with that song blasting from the speakers. You might be dizzy the first 30 seconds, but it quickens you up faster than a strong brew of coffee :D :dweez: :chickendance:

lmao nice!!!! hahaha "kramer style"- in my family, we have a point system for good jokes (bad jokes or questionable comments get negative points lol) - YOU, sir, are awarded 50 for that mental image hahaha. ;)

And the points really don't mean much. haha.

sounds like quite the spectacle! That would make me a morning person, i think!

• Like 1