Wow, I am in love with ABBA!!!

bluesbreaker

I don't know what Geddy and Alex think of ABBA. Although, we should probably be careful. We may have our :rush: credentials revoked. :o

And, with the concert a week from tomorrow (!) :yay: - I better play some Rush to offset the ABBA influence. ;)

To be perfectly honest I am fairly new to Rush so I am not for sure either. I think that was when they were asked about ABBA's induction into RnR Hall of Fame.

Alright, I can't keep it in any longer.

I thought maybe I was missing something, maybe I was crazy, that maybe Abba was secretly another ELO that somehow I just missed out on the first time around only to discover they were full of hidden treasures, musical geniuses cloaked in a deceptive pop exterior.

So I listened to several of the songs people have posted links to here, or at least the first minute or two of most of those songs. Then I remembered seeing that Mamma Mia movie with Meryl Streep, and it all came rushing back to me with great confidence and assurance.

Wow, Abba sucks. I mean, they don't just suck, but they REALLY F*CKING SUCK!

Yeah, everyone has different tastes, and people have shit on my tastes on TRF on a very regular basis so perhaps I should have more compassion and empathy, but this IS a Rush forum after all, and sorry, this is way too big a reach for me.

C'mon people, seriously? Abba? F*CKING ABBA???? :blink: :wacko: :facepalm:

Ok, sorry, had to get that out. If you enjoy it, great. I enjoy plenty of music and tv and movies that people here hate.

Continue on. :unsure:

:rantoff:

Fair enough. :sundog:

If you want you can re-read the third paragraph of my original post to understand the hype...... :syrinx:

Edited by bluesbreaker

Alright, I can't keep it in any longer.

I thought maybe I was missing something, maybe I was crazy, that maybe Abba was secretly another ELO that somehow I just missed out on the first time around only to discover they were full of hidden treasures, musical geniuses cloaked in a deceptive pop exterior.

So I listened to several of the songs people have posted links to here, or at least the first minute or two of most of those songs. Then I remembered seeing that Mamma Mia movie with Meryl Streep, and it all came rushing back to me with great confidence and assurance.

Wow, Abba sucks. I mean, they don't just suck, but they REALLY F*CKING SUCK!

Yeah, everyone has different tastes, and people have shit on my tastes on TRF on a very regular basis so perhaps I should have more compassion and empathy, but this IS a Rush forum after all, and sorry, this is way too big a reach for me.

C'mon people, seriously? Abba? F*CKING ABBA???? :blink: :wacko: :facepalm:

Ok, sorry, had to get that out. If you enjoy it, great. I enjoy plenty of music and tv and movies that people here hate.

Continue on. :unsure:

:rantoff:

AH HA HA HA!! it was only a matter of time before Ol' Grandfather Prog blew a gasket. :codger: You were FAR too reticent up til now.

*whispers* Abba are a bit prog. Honest. :yes:

I don't know what Geddy and Alex think of ABBA. Although, we should probably be careful. We may have our :rush: credentials revoked. :o

And, with the concert a week from tomorrow (!) :yay: - I better play some Rush to offset the ABBA influence. ;)

To be perfectly honest I am fairly new to Rush so I am not for sure either. I think that was when they were asked about ABBA's induction into RnR Hall of Fame.

"Fairly new to Rush" Excellent! :rush: :hi: Welcome to TRF! :hi:

Don't mind goobs. ABBA just flies in the face of everything he believes and enjoys. And he's not alone. There are many hardcore Rush fans here. :D

What was it about Rush that attracted you? It is quite a contrast to ABBA.

Edit to add: here's a link to an old thread, if you want to move the answer out of the ABBA thread:

What aspect of Rush won you over? in Rush

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/76664-what-aspect-of-rush-won-you-over/page__view__findpost__p__2720744__hl__aspect

Edited by CygnusGal
  • Like 1

Don't mind goobs. ABBA just flies in the face of everything he believes and enjoys. And he's not alone. There are many hardcore Rush fans here. :D

Edit to add: here's a link to an old thread, if you want to move the answer out of the ABBA thread:

http://www.therushfo...744__hl__aspect

Hey CygnusGal that's really sweet of you. I just replied. Anyway I can repeat it here:

I started on Rush just like everyone else: Tom Sawyer.

That was in 2010 I think. Then I slowly moved to the other songs from Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures.

Then last year I began listening to their late 70's stuff. My jaw drop when I heard & watched Xanadu from Exit Stage Left.

It's all good about Goob's rant. In fact I laughed my ass off.

I can understand his position though, since I had similar state of mind few years back.

Rush & ABBA's music is indeed a huge contrast, but good music IS good music. In fact if ABBA were approved by Mikael Akerfeldt and Richie Blackmore, then what can we say?

Back to topic. Agnetha, the blonde vocalist, is actually a mean keyboard player herself.....well piano to be exact.

• Like 1

[bobhope]I gotta tell ya![/bobhope] I tried out some of these ABBA links, and a couple not and I gotta tell ya.... they don't do it for me. I can appreciate their talent. Perhaps I have a soft spot for Dancing Queen. I've heard many of their hits while listening to the radio growing up in the 70's. Obviously they were loaded with talent, but... ABBA ain't got nuthin on The Beatles. And I refuse to see Mama Mia!! :madra:

[georgebush]Na ganna do it.. wouldn't be prudent..[/danacarvey]

ABBA ain't got nuthin on The Beatles. And I refuse to see Mama Mia!! :madra:

Mama mia the production was ghastly...they are on the same level as The Beatles as far as I'm concerned, all there is to it, I don't care what anyone says.

The much underrated Bang-A-Boomerang, good energy back then. Hey Goobs, this one's for you of course! :hi:

http://youtu.be/_CsJCa2TlXU

Edited by Steevo
  • Like 1

http://www.therushfo...744__hl__aspect

Hey CygnusI forgot to say that my ABBA excursion started just 2 months ago, so Rush got first, haha!!! XD

• Like 1

Mama mia the production was ghastly...they are on the same level as The Beatles as far as I'm concerned, all there is to it, I don't care what anyone says.

The much underrated Bang-A-Boomerang, good energy back then. Hey Goobs, this one's for you of course! :hi:

We disagree :cheers: Based on their music I'm familiar with, ABBA is souless shimmering skin deep superficial pop. They came off as shiny happy people. They do a lot for a lot of people, but just don't reach me at all.

Well in a nutshell, just remember that those guys and gals were not called the Swedish Fab Four for nothing.

They were the first band from a non-English speaking country that make on the charts of English songs. That is an accomplishment.

We disagree :cheers: Based on their music I'm familiar with, ABBA is souless shimmering skin deep superficial pop. They came off as shiny happy people. They do a lot for a lot of people, but just don't reach me at all.

I kinda understand how you would see them that way with limited exposure (most I talk to say the same), but wow, happy? superficial?? souless???...not the Abba I know :cheers:

I kinda understand how you would see them that way with limited exposure (most I talk to say the same), but wow, happy? superficial?? souless???...not the Abba I know :cheers:

Too many descriptors? Yeah. I don't hate ABBA.

Ok, after I saw THIS video, I am turned around completely and I am now most definitively a fan!

That is, of course, if you define "fan" as throwing up in my mouth a little.

Alright, I don't HATE Abba. I mean, I was a kid in the 70's and I've been known to have moments of having a soft spot for disco, though it's mostly just feelings of nostalgia. I don't really have anything horrible to say about them other than to say that:

ABBA is souless shimmering skin deep superficial pop.

:LMAO:

Sorry, had to laugh at that one. Absolutely amazing use of alliteration in your analysis of Abba!

Ok, after I saw THIS video, I am turned around completely and I am now most definitively a fan!

Alright, I don't HATE Abba. I mean, I was a kid in the 70's and I've been known to have moments of having a soft spot for disco, though it's mostly just feelings of nostalgia. I don't really have anything horrible to say about them other than to say that:

Sorry, had to laugh at that one. Absolutely amazing use of alliteration in your analysis of Abba!

Go back to your 20 minute nose flute solos, hippy man.

• Like 1

Hmmmm, ABBA is pop afterall, but they were more sophisticated than other pop bands of the time. It's feel good music, ain't nothin' wrong with that.

Go back to your 20 minute nose flute solos, hippy man.

:LOL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R5fKxMR0_4

Edited by rushgoober

Also it's completely misguided but whatever...played that vid for the predictable reaction, and you fell for it of course. Genius is biting you in the ass and you can't even see it :rage:

Edited by Steevo

Also it's completely misguided but whatever...played that vid for the predictable reaction, and you fell for it of course. Genius is biting you in the ass and you can't even see it :rage:

Oh now don't get bent out of shape. I'm just having some fun. FWIW, I'd rather listen to 2 hours of Abba than 5 minutes of rap or 3 minutes of country or opera. In the right context I can enjoy the occasional Abba song - it's rare, but it's happened.

And this one is for YOU :P :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhW68WE8F8s

Ah yeah....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQPuAlVIOv4

What's that sound, what's that dreadful rumble?

Won't somebody tell me what I hear?

In the distance but drawing near

Is it only a storm approaching?

All that thunder and the blinding light

In the winter night

In the grip of this cold December

You and I have reason to remember