Wow, I am in love with ABBA!!!

bluesbreaker

They wrote so many perfect songs. It's a formidable back catalogue that would shame most other bands. I always had a soft spot for "What's The Name Of The Game?" and especially "Eagle".

The Name of the Game is perfect. THAT bass line, THOSE lyrics, THOSE vocals.

Yeah that song kicks ass. But every time I hear it I think something is lacking. It screams for funky, Hendrixian guitar grooves.

Who sampled that groove? The Fugees wasn't it?

Well the guitar in The Name Of The Game is not very prominent except some short solos between verses. I meant it lacks some serious rhythm guitar, Hendrix style preferred. It would kick some major ass otherwise........... :finbar: Edited by bluesbreaker

Benny & Bjorn were serious arrangers. They did not f**k about.

Seconded.

I've always been a huge fan, too. I just stopped listening to Iron Maiden so I could check out The Eagle because I hadn't heard that song. Awesome.

As far as pop goes, i guess you could do a lot worse. At least their songs are catchy, but i would never label them "musical masterpieces".

They will always be just party songs.

Just saying...

Well I think ABBA were quite honest in their songs....Sure they have party songs, but their sad songs are TRULY sad.

Just youtube Winner Takes It All.

As far as pop goes, i guess you could do a lot worse. At least their songs are catchy, but i would never label them "musical masterpieces".

They will always be just party songs.

Just saying...

Well I think ABBA were quite honest in their songs....Sure they have party songs, but their sad songs are TRULY sad.

Just youtube Winner Takes It All.

They take on heartbreak was particularly raw. Brilliant.

No more carefree laughter

Silence ever after

Walking through an empty house

Tears in my eyes

Here is where the story ends

This is goodbye

• Like 1

I still think the groove of Dancing Queen is phenomenal. Also, at the record store I used to work at we had a fusion album made by the guitarist (I can't remember his name...the shorter of the guys). The guitar playing was phenomenal.

^ All the way. Hard to have anything negative to say about ABBA actually :huh:

Some great threads on Abba here worth bumping...and hello Na na na, thought I would see you here :hi:

:ebert: :hi:

Eagle

The Name Of The Game

When I Kissed The Teacher

Dancing Queen

Knowing Me, Knowing You

Disillusion

The Winner Takes It All

Lay All Your Love On Me

When All Is Said And Done

One Of Us

Angel Eyes

Summer Night City

Under Attack

:yes:

Arrival - The Visitors, 5 albums in a row & as good as anything by anyone...

I love "Fernando" as well. I remember that I got interested in ABBA when I got a K-Tel album called "Music Machine" in 1977. "Dancing Queen" was on it followed by "Beth" from Kiss, followed by "Blinded by the light" from Manfred Mann's Earth Band in that order on side two.

I love "Fernando" as well. I remember that I got interested in ABBA when I got a K-Tel album called "Music Machine" in 1977. "Dancing Queen" was on it followed by "Beth" from Kiss, followed by "Blinded by the light" from Manfred Mann's Earth Band in that order on side two.

What great bass lines - so smooth - and the chord changes and the vocal lines and harmonies! They're just great songs. ABBA :wub:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFrGuyw1V8s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-crgQGdpZR0

Edit to add...I remember that album. I also had the '76 one with Elton John (Philadelphia Freedom). I loved it. I used to play K-Tel albums for hours.

Edited by CygnusGal

Well I think Dancing Queen is quite underrated, ironically. To my ears it has some tricky keyboards and grooves but everyone talks about the hooks.

Here is a live performance of it, and be careful at 2:00 mark! :16ton: Hope you can come out alive! :rose:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ejypIv8zSA

By the way, I heard that Alex and Geddy are not very fond of ABBA. IS that true?

• Like 1

Well I think Dancing Queen is quite underrated, ironically. To my ears it has some tricky keyboards and grooves but everyone talks about the hooks.

Here is a live performance of it, and be careful at 2:00 mark! :16ton: Hope you can come out alive! :rose:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ejypIv8zSA

By the way, I heard that Alex and Geddy are not very fond of ABBA. IS that true?

I don't know what Geddy and Alex think of ABBA. Although, we should probably be careful. We may have our :rush: credentials revoked. :o

And, with the concert a week from tomorrow (!) :yay: - I better play some Rush to offset the ABBA influence. ;)

• Like 1

Alright, I can't keep it in any longer.

I thought maybe I was missing something, maybe I was crazy, that maybe Abba was secretly another ELO that somehow I just missed out on the first time around only to discover they were full of hidden treasures, musical geniuses cloaked in a deceptive pop exterior.

So I listened to several of the songs people have posted links to here, or at least the first minute or two of most of those songs. Then I remembered seeing that Mamma Mia movie with Meryl Streep, and it all came rushing back to me with great confidence and assurance.

Wow, Abba sucks. I mean, they don't just suck, but they REALLY F*CKING SUCK!

Yeah, everyone has different tastes, and people have shit on my tastes on TRF on a very regular basis so perhaps I should have more compassion and empathy, but this IS a Rush forum after all, and sorry, this is way too big a reach for me.

C'mon people, seriously? Abba? F*CKING ABBA???? :blink: :wacko: :facepalm:

Ok, sorry, had to get that out. If you enjoy it, great. I enjoy plenty of music and tv and movies that people here hate.

Continue on. :unsure:

:rantoff:

Edited by rushgoober
  • Like 2

I thought maybe I was missing something, maybe I was crazy, that maybe Abba was secretly another ELO that somehow I just missed out on the first time around only to discover they were full of hidden treasures, musical geniuses cloaked in a deceptive pop exterior.

So I listened to several of the songs people have posted links to here, or at least the first minute or two of most of those songs. Then I remembered seeing that Mamma Mia movie with Meryl Streep, and it all came rushing back to me with great confidence and assurance.

Yeah, everyone has different tastes, and people have shit on my tastes on TRF on a very regular basis so perhaps I should have more compassion and empathy, but this IS a Rush forum after all, and sorry, this is way too big a reach for me.

Ok, sorry, had to get that out. If you enjoy it, great. I enjoy plenty of music and tv and movies that people here hate.

:bitchslap:

:rfl:

Thanks, goob!

:heart:

:D

Speaking of Steven Wilson being a big ABBA fan, his cover of The Day Before You Came is great (and easily found on youtube for anyone interested).

I have hated ABBA forever but I have to agree with The K Man, TDBYC cover is a great tune.

:bitchslap:

:rfl:

Thanks, goob!

:heart:

:D

Sorry, someone had to say it!

Ok, move along people, nothing to see here... :unsure: