Wow, I am in love with ABBA!!!

bluesbreaker

I realize there are a couple of old ABBA threads but I don't wanna resurrect them so here I am......

My musical taste gravitates towards classic rock and prog rock as all of you do. After I listened to Rush's Xanadu on the Tube I came across with the video of Dancing Queen and I decided to watch it closely. I was hooked. Then I clicked on an instrumental called Arrival.

Bang. Hit me like tons of bricks. So Rush is not the only guilty of the musical spell fell upon me for the past couple of months......

I am sure many people bash them because they were labeled as a disco band, but their music is way beyond most people's imagination. Their songs have tasty instrumentation and harmonies. Some of them even have proggy keyboards. Many rock and pop's who's who love ABBA. Blackmore once claimed that during a vacation all he listened was ABBA. Steve Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt are ABBA fanboys. Speaking of Akerfeldt, he is such a lucky bastard!

http://www.straight.com/music/opeth-records-its-heritage-abbas-former-studio

I really think that ABBA had that X factor that was right on par with that of Elvis, Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury, etc......

Oh, this Yngwie cover of ABBA is KILLEEEEER!!!!!

Edited by bluesbreaker
  • Like 3

Abba are f***ing brilliant. Mike Oldfield did a killer version of Arrival. And, most of their albums are bloody marvellous. The last one, The Visitors, is astonishing. Full of little prog moments too, seriously. Benny & Bjorn were serious arrangers. They did not f**k about.

f**k the haters.

(lots of f*cks there, in a bit of a sweary Mary mood today, f*ckers.)

• Like 5

I haven't heard anything from the Visitors yet, but according to the description I read, that album should be the proper introduction for prog fans if they want to start on ABBA.

I mean, even ProgArchives has a serious discussion about The Visitors.

• Like 1

I really like ABBA. Their songs are brilliant. Extremely well composed, arranged and performed music. :ebert:
  • Like 2

^ All the way. Hard to have anything negative to say about ABBA actually :huh:

Some great threads on Abba here worth bumping...and hello Na na na, thought I would see you here :hi:

Edited by Steevo
  • Like 1

They wrote so many perfect songs. It's a formidable back catalogue that would shame most other bands. I always had a soft spot for "What's The Name Of The Game?" and especially "Eagle".

The Name of the Game is perfect. THAT bass line, THOSE lyrics, THOSE vocals.

• Like 1

They wrote so many perfect songs. It's a formidable back catalogue that would shame most other bands. I always had a soft spot for "What's The Name Of The Game?" and especially "Eagle".

:clap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ90ZqH0PWI

• Like 1

:clap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ90ZqH0PWI

Bless you CygnusGal, bless you.

ABBA was my first ever "favorite band" and yes, I still like their music after all these years. I was only 9 years old when I became infatuated with this band. I only have one album though and it's ABBA: The Album which has "Eagle" and "The Name of the Game", plus a few other really good ones like "One Man, One Woman", "Take a Chance on Me", "Moving On", "Hole in your soul", "I'm a Marionette". and "Thank you for the music".
  • Like 1

Yeah that song kicks ass. But every time I hear it I think something is lacking. It screams for funky, Hendrixian guitar grooves.

Edited by bluesbreaker