13 - Best Song From Presto

RushRevisited

What do you think is the best song from this album?  

1079 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the best song from this album?

• Show Don't Tell
    • Chain Lightning
    • The Pass
    • War Paint
    • Scars
    • Presto
    • Superconductor
    • Anagram (For Mongo)
    • Red Tide
    • Hand Over Fist
    • Available Light

It does my heart good to see so much love for this album. I was leaving high school and entering college when it was released and the resident Rush fans of my generation bashed Presto relentlessly.

Perhaps it was because I had a sincere and heartfelt, lifesaving revelation when I first heard The Pass. Perhaps it was because I was ready to move on with live and was willing to accept Rush was evolving. But I immediately loved this album.

It grows more relevant to my life almost daily.... any Rush fan with a teenage or nearly teenage child can still completely relate to War Paint. Anagram for Mongo still makes me chuckle.

This disc is always in my 6 disc changer.

QUOTE (SignatureAurora @ Jul 4 2005, 07:45 PM)
QUOTE (physics23 @ Apr 27 2005, 06:41 PM)
It was only a couple of years ago when, upon listening to "Anagram," it suddenly dawned on me what Peart was doing with the words in that song. It was like discovering a new dimension, like solving an ancient riddle. I wonder if it was only I that caught on so late.
There's just one issue I have not been able to resolve. In that verse,

He and she are in the house
But there's only me at home

there seems to be a mistake. Is that not so?

He and she are in the house

But there's only me at home

"He" and "She" are both in the word "house",

"Me" is in the word "home."

The "double anagram" is the fact that Neil uses the topic of homes and houses the extract yet a deeper meaning on unrelated topics. He does extensively in this song, re-read and try to NOTICE the "double anagram" as each line relates to what really doesnt seem to be related at first...It's an amazingly well written song full of great verbal gymanastics. biggrin.gif

SA

Yes, but I think what the original poster meant by "a mistake" is this:

Why is ONLY "me" at "home"???? Isn't "he" also at "home"??? Think about it.

Great verbal gymnastics, yes. I like phrases like "image just an eyeless (i-less) game" and "cosmic is largely comic."

There are two stan out tracks on this album, one of which is Available Light, which ran my favourite very, very close.

I love the title track. Quite simply this is a stunningly beautiful song which simultaneously conveys a sense of wonder, beauty and a deeply cathartic sadness all rounded off with a vision of uplifting hope at the end.

Very special indeed.....