13 - Best Song From Presto

RushRevisited

What do you think is the best song from this album?  

1079 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the best song from this album?

• Show Don't Tell
    • Chain Lightning
    • The Pass
    • War Paint
    • Scars
    • Presto
    • Superconductor
    • Anagram (For Mongo)
    • Red Tide
    • Hand Over Fist
    • Available Light

The Pass or Available Light - can never decide between the two (though currently I'd say Available Light). For me this is an album where the track order is all wrong - nothing wrong with most of the tracks but I just feel it would have worked better in a different order, & I just wish it had started with Available Light - such a brilliantly un-Rush sort of song - I'd love to have heard it done live as well.

Show, Don't Tell, but just by a hair over The Pass. The rest falls in here:

3 - Superconductor

4 - Scars

5 - Presto

6 - Hand over Fist

7 - Available Light

8 - Chain Lightning

9 - War Paint

10-Anagram

11-Red Tide

This was an album that I really did not get into at all when it came out. Saw them on the tour and that did not help generate much interest in the album. Basically the album was put near the back of my Rush collection and almost never played.

Then I saw the on the VT tour and hearing The Pass ignited a little interest in that song at least. Fast forward in time to the Time Machine tour and Presto really impressed me. So much so that I went back and really started listening to the album, It was almost like it was a new album to me. Very pleasant to discover that after close to 20 years there was this album that I had totally ignored but now I greatly enjoyed it. Sort of going into a gold mine that you thought had been a bust and suddenly finding a large vein of ore.

Over the last year or two I have really come to appreciate this overlooked and forgotten gem. One gem stands out however and that is the title track. Voted for Presto.

Up until The Time Machine Tour I would have said The Pass was the best song on the album, but seeing Presto played live I have a new appreciation for it. That was one of the best songs of the concert. You could tell they were having fun with this one.

Show Don't Tell. Redemption. Geddy's finger funk is in fine form. The Pass is one of my favourite Rush lyrics and is a close second, but, to me, SDT sounded like the Rush I loved.

The Pass. Troubling song for me, because my partner had just committed suicide, so I related in too many tearful ways.

I always thought that Presto had a jar full of great songs, but that Rupert Hines and the band produced it with such a "thinness" that it sounded quite lame. Neil sounds like he is playing on tin cans, Geddy sounds like Kermit the Frog, etc.

The whole album rocks, but "Available Light" moved me so much I got a sunrise tattooed in my right armpit with the words "promise offered in the East" underneath it, and a sunset in the left one with "broken in the West". After all these years I still listen to it every day.

I changed my vote. I will have to PASS on my old favorite, and commit heresy (wrong album I know) and go with Available Light. Show Don't Tell is probably the best in actuality. Dat bass solo. Edited by GUPower Windows

I love Available Light. Well, I love pretty much the whole album but that song is beast!