13 - Best Song From Presto

RushRevisited

What do you think is the best song from this album?  

1079 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the best song from this album?

• Show Don't Tell
    • Chain Lightning
    • The Pass
    • War Paint
    • Scars
    • Presto
    • Superconductor
    • Anagram (For Mongo)
    • Red Tide
    • Hand Over Fist
    • Available Light

I picked "The Pass" but really love "Scars" for a variety of reasons, mostly from the guitarist in me. Some may not may not realize it, but there are NO keyboards in that song (except for the songs bass line riff played using a Wal bass sample on a sequencer). It's all Alex being his "atmospheric" and textural" best. Gives me goosebumps hearing certain notes he plays on that song.

one observation:

l absolutely loved the album up to and including the song "Presto." After that, the album seemed to take on a very different vibe, like it's a different group playing but with the same instruments. I believe that may have come from the direction of Rubert Hine, their then producer. I still appreciate the message in the songs that follow, but it was weird backin '89-90 hearing the album all the way through in one sitting the 1st few times....anyone else notice that? unsure.gif

SA

QUOTE (physics23 @ Apr 27 2005, 06:41 PM)
It was only a couple of years ago when, upon listening to "Anagram," it suddenly dawned on me what Peart was doing with the words in that song. It was like discovering a new dimension, like solving an ancient riddle. I wonder if it was only I that caught on so late.
There's just one issue I have not been able to resolve. In that verse,

He and she are in the house
But there's only me at home

there seems to be a mistake. Is that not so?

He and she are in the house

But there's only me at home

"He" and "She" are both in the word "house",

"Me" is in the word "home."

The "double anagram" is the fact that Neil uses the topic of homes and houses the extract yet a deeper meaning on unrelated topics. He does extensively in this song, re-read and try to NOTICE the "double anagram" as each line relates to what really doesnt seem to be related at first...It's an amazingly well written song full of great verbal gymanastics. biggrin.gif

SA

I just got this album. I think it replaces HYF as my second favorite. As for my favorite song, I went with The Pass, as it is very moving.

"All of us get lost in the darkness

Dreamers learn to steer by the stars

All of us do time in the gutter

Dreamers turn to look at the cars"

I love those lines. There are plenty of other great tracks on this album as well.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

How can I choose? Superconductor. Love the message and agree 200%. I also love that triple key change at the end. Pure energy. Second Fav album next to 2112.

1022.gif

This maybe the least liked of all Rush songs by fans but I love Hand Over Fist. It has that nice edge to the lyrics.

This album is getting some flak in the "worst Rush album" thread. I love it.

My fav as stated earlier is Hand Over Fist but some days The Pass is too.

I think it's a great Album full of quality songs.

THE PASS! Is there any other answer?? That song is FULL of beautiful lyrics . . . but Superconductor comes in second.