Double Neck Retired

RushBoingo

I just watched a video the RRHOF posted showing what memorbilia the newley inducted bands donated, and I was horrified to See Alex's Double neck in there. Though it will be neat to see in the museum, it also means that the next preformance of Xanadu will be even less authentic (if we ever get Xanadu again). I understand that it hurts alex's back to play it, but still, Xanadu was my last song on my top 5 list to hear live, and now it will be slightly less special to not see his double neck played. One last insult to me was that he gave such a prominent peice of memorbilia to the museum that kept them out 13 years, as I feel the guitar deserves a better home. What does everyone else think.

BTW the other memorbilia in the video was Neil's S&A cap, a pair of sticks, and a snare (I could not tell which kit it was from) and one of Geddy's Fender Jazz basses with one of the clockwork angels symbols. It's a nice contrast with Alex's old Guitar and Geddy's new Bass

A guitar is a guitar. Without the artist behind it, it is useless. Does it have sentimental value? Yes, and it always will hold a special place in Lerxst's heart, as well as the hundreds of thousasnds of fans that had the pleasure of seeing him bring it to life. Xanadu may or may not be played in front of a live audience again, but it's never impossible with Rush. If they want to bring it back, they'll bring it back and breathe a new life into it. That's part of the nature of the band... they'll find a way.
  • Like 1

Alex probably has a dozen of the darned things... it's not like he can't afford to own more than one double-neck Gibson.

Alex probably has a dozen of the darned things... it's not like he can't afford to own more than one double-neck Gibson.

Agreed. He retired the 'original' white doubleneck after a PA horn fell on it while they were opening up for Blue Oyster Cult around 1980. Either he gave, or loaned this one to the RRHOF thinking it would be in safe keeping, or it's one that he owns and never really bonded with.

to the museum that kept them out 13 years...

Well - this is a moot point as they are now being inducted.

No need for sour grapes

Celebrate the moment - his double neck will enjoy a hell of a lot more views at the Rock Hall then in storage.

He still has the red EDS 1175,which he bought a year or two before the white 1275, He used to use the red one for Xanadu until it got damaged while on the road .

Actually, according to an interview he did with Premier Guitar a few years ago, when it got damaged, he had it repaired and later on (I think around the time of Roll the Bones) he gave it to Eric Johnson as a gift. Unfortunately, the double neck was stolen from Eric weeks later.

Alex has enough 'gizmos' to pull off the sound of the double neck even on his LP. If they do ever play Xanadu, don't be such a 'purist' and whine when it's not played on the double neck.

I'm not whining because I'm a purist, I am upset that I was excited about the concept of hearing Xanadu live and seeing the guitar on him. Double Necks are just as much an icon for me as the starman for Rush. Now that the double neck is gone, when I finaly get to hear Xanadu live for the first time, it will be, I don't know, less of what I was dreaming of.

He put the white doubleneck in the R&R hall of fame. He said he had second thoughts about letting it go but in the end he did put it there. He promptly went back to Gibson and got a new one. So I would imagine he still has at least one of them around somewhere.

BTW: Have you ever played an EDS-1275? They are so heavy. That is why most players don't use them anymore. There are "electronic" means now of creating a 12 string effect on stage that are good enough that it isn't worth breaking your back by playing an double neck. Xanadu is a long song and to play one that long, well... I'd pass on that too. I bet he only uses one of these in the studio anymore.

If an EDS-1275 is heavy I can't imagine what Geddy's Ricky double neck weighed. A Rickenbacker bass is heavy enough, A guitar neck to go with it must have been a back breaker. Has Geddy's double neck instrument been seen in any recent times? What happened to it?

I just watched a video the RRHOF posted showing what memorbilia the newley inducted bands donated, and I was horrified to See Alex's Double neck in there. Though it will be neat to see in the museum, it also means that the next preformance of Xanadu will be even less authentic (if we ever get Xanadu again). I understand that it hurts alex's back to play it, but still, Xanadu was my last song on my top 5 list to hear live, and now it will be slightly less special to not see his double neck played. One last insult to me was that he gave such a prominent peice of memorbilia to the museum that kept them out 13 years, as I feel the guitar deserves a better home. What does everyone else think.

BTW the other memorbilia in the video was Neil's S&A cap, a pair of sticks, and a snare (I could not tell which kit it was from) and one of Geddy's Fender Jazz basses with one of the clockwork angels symbols. It's a nice contrast with Alex's old Guitar and Geddy's new Bass

I really think the guitar urinated on by Joan Jett belongs front and center.

Neil Peart's full kit belongs in a special exhibit with Bonham and Moon's kits on a giant turntable with hologram drummers playing famous solos.

• Like 1

I'm recalling Alex saying somewhere a long time ago when asked about why he no longer played that doubleneck, that an elephant had sat on it. Maybe in one of the tour books? MAN, now I bet he was lying.

Just Alex's humor at his best!! Not that the darn thing wasn't as heavy as one!!

:laughing guy:

Alex has enough 'gizmos' to pull off the sound of the double neck even on his LP. If they do ever play Xanadu, don't be such a 'purist' and whine when it's not played on the double neck.

I'm not whining because I'm a purist, I am upset that I was excited about the concept of hearing Xanadu live and seeing the guitar on him. Double Necks are just as much an icon for me as the starman for Rush. Now that the double neck is gone, when I finaly get to hear Xanadu live for the first time, it will be, I don't know, less of what I was dreaming of.

He was never going to play it with that doubleneck again anyway. He didn't play the doubleneck last time they played it.

How do you know you will get to hear Xanadu live, at all?

I'm recalling Alex saying somewhere a long time ago when asked about why he no longer played that doubleneck, that an elephant had sat on it. Maybe in one of the tour books? MAN, now I bet he was lying.

i recall the elephant story too. i think it was in the signals tour book.

Correct!

"My double-neck guitar was recently crushed by an elephant. Too bad."

• Like 2

Hi there. First post:

If Alex doesn't like playing that guitar any longer, and prefers his new Les Pauls, I would much rather see his iconic SG doubleneck in the museum than say.... one of his PRS guitars.

I got to hear Xanadu live back in 1990, and he didn't play the doubleneck then, and it sounded just fine... spectacular, actually. But I understand that's not what is in question here.

At least he didn't give them the ES-355. ;)

Edited by Jon2112

tangy, you nailed it. I got out my Signals tour book and checked. Here's part of what Alex wrote regarding the equipment he was using for the Signals tour: "In the guitar department I'm down to four; a black one, a red one, a white one and a brownish one. They all have six strings and a long wooden piece sticking out from the body. I also have two acoustic guitars both with six strings, one steel string and the other plastic (or something like that). Both the guitars have rounded bodies to make them impossible to play sitting down. They also have holes all over the sound board which is sort of like a diving board I think. My double neck guitar was recently crushed by an elephant. Too bad." GeddyLeeGenes here again now. I have to admit, I'm kind of proud that I recalled something that I probably last read about 32 years ago!
  • Like 1

Agreed. He retired the 'original' white doubleneck after a PA horn fell on it while they were opening up for Blue Oyster Cult around 1980. Either he gave, or loaned this one to the RRHOF thinking it would be in safe keeping, or it's one that he owns and never really bonded with.

I don't know what a PA horn is, but I should imagine the doubleneck was rendered completely useless...