Steven Wilson Tour Thread

geddyforlife

Although I brought up the idea of Harrison drumming on solo album #4, I'm actually leaning towards wanting Wackerman to be the drummer solely because I'd like to hear what he brings to the band in the studio. I'm sure he'll do a splendid job if he gets the nod on the next album.
  • Like 1

Minnemann will be back with Satriani next year (after a little stint with UK this November). Form his Facebook:

"Yesterday in Oakland marked the end of our JOE SATRIANI tour for this year.

It was a wonderful evening with wonderful people, celebrating one of the most fun and pleasant tours I've ever done!

Thank you all for coming out and seeing us play and for your amazing reactions. So much appreciated . We'll be back next year playing the countries we've left out this year.

I'm off to Japan soon for a week with Eddie Jobson and John Wetton playing U.K.s music with some additional surprises!

So....see you soon."

Chad Wack will bring nothing to the table. If Marco is not on the new SW album I'm out. Won't get the album. It will be a stale album to my ears. GFD was god but the drumming was shit. Chad is a very generic player. No creativity. Average chops. Yes he's a full blown musican. He's very good. It's just that you need that excitement in the drumming chair. Gavin is a freaking god! Marco is just amazing. Chad is boring. Average fills. Basic drum beats. His drum sound is poop.

Quick update on the tour from SW:

The SW band have just completed their first week of touring in Europe, and in the last few days another new song called "Happy Returns" has been introduced into the set, joining the already included new 15 minute piece for which no definitive title has been settled on yet (it has been announced with a different title each time it has been performed so far, so that's 9 different titles!)

• Like 1

Chad Wack will bring nothing to the table. If Marco is not on the new SW album I'm out. Won't get the album. It will be a stale album to my ears. GFD was god but the drumming was shit. Chad is a very generic player. No creativity. Average chops. Yes he's a full blown musican. He's very good. It's just that you need that excitement in the drumming chair. Gavin is a freaking god! Marco is just amazing. Chad is boring. Average fills. Basic drum beats. His drum sound is poop.

:facepalm: ..... you will probably miss out on some god music then.

Edited by geddyforlife

Steven Wilson's music is indeed god like. Say what you want about his solo material and Bass Communion stuff, but he has yet to put out a song that I genuinely don't like nevertheless an album that I don't like.
  • Like 1

Tour is long over, but this news relates to the discussion here:

Recent (June 2014) interview with Marco Minnemann ( http://echoesanddust.com/2014/06/interview-marco-minnemann/ ):

(((o))): So Marco, are there any other upcoming projects in the pipeline? Will you continue on with Steven Wilson now that he’s working on the follow-up to “The Raven Refused To Sing (And Other Stories)”?

Marco: Yes, we will be recording the new Steven Wilson album in September. Also, a new Aristocrats album in will be on the way soon.

Now on 5 years we have not had any inkling of a Porcupine Tree project upcoming.

Shame.

• Like 1

Awesome news. So glad Marco will be on the record. He brings so much to the music. He is also very interesting to listen to. He's got great chops to pull off some nice ideas for the music. He's quite the pro. I bet the music will sound like the raven.

I heard a teaser of his new solo album. He plays all the instruments.

Awesome news. So glad Marco will be on the record. He brings so much to the music. He is also very interesting to listen to. He's got great chops to pull off some nice ideas for the music. He's quite the pro. I bet the music will sound like the raven.

I heard a teaser of his new solo album. He plays all the instruments.

yeah, it's quite weird. But I like it. One song is played with all de-tuned instruments. Sorta Zappa-esque.

Love his work with The Aristocrats and SW. Looking forward to it.

Now on 5 years we have not had any inkling of a Porcupine Tree project upcoming.

Shame.

It's been pretty clear that Steven doesn't really have a need for PT anymore. He has never been one for nostalgia and, since he always really was the primary contributor to PT, why wouldn't he want to have his own band. I mean, I love PT music as much as anybody (flew to NYC to see them) and would LOVE to see these played live - Gavin is such a monster player and I just can't get enough of his drumming. However, it was clear to me on The Incident Tour that SW really wasn't that in to playing the older stuff. He has stated in interviews that he approaches music as an artist and when the album/tour cycle just become a business machine, it ceases to be art. I think he hit that wall with PT.

However, I did speak with John Wesley earlier this year and asked him. He said he is in contact wtih Steven from time to time, and while there are no concrete plans, there was some discussion about a PT tour in 2015. His impression is that there would not be a new PT album - but anything can happen. Now, with Steven recording his next solo album in September, it will likely be released in early 2015 and no doubt followed by a solo tour, which would probably be it for 2015. (Btw, Gavin Harrison will be playing dates with King Crimson in September this year and I suspect more to follow.)

My interpretation of this would be: Steven doesn't really need to create new music under the PT name, though there is obviously alot of history with that band and he is still friends with all the members. There is also a business case and I'm sure his manager (A.L.) is trying to persuade him to do it - but Steven is not in it for the money and I doubt he would compromise too much of his own solo career to re-hash a PT "greatest hits" tour. That's not to say it won't happen - but it won't be a priority. I could see it getting to 2019 and they finally do a tour and the answer to all the interview questions is "yeah, we've wanted to do this for years, but the stars never quite aligned until now."