Steven Wilson Tour Thread

geddyforlife

Oh boy, all of these reviews of Steven's show is making me even more excited about seeing him in New York tomorrow...er well it's technically tonight since it's already past midnight here on the East Coast. Call me crazy, but I still can't get over the last time I saw him and that was like a year and a half ago! It's pretty sweet that I'll be seeing the the day after my semester ended, so this show's like an end of the school year present for myself.

Same here. I saw him on Sunday and I finished classes today. I got most of my work done before the show and my birthday was the week before so I know your feeling :D . I posted a review in the concert review thread. The show was amazing, the best I've ever been to.

Pretty much sums up how I feel about the show. I'll definitely post my review (and based on what happened today before, during, and after the show, it's going to be a VERY long one) of the NYC show on the concert reviews thread, but I just have to say that they had to start Raider II all over again because a few fans yelled during intro which eventually screwed Steven up and missed his cue. Steven handled the situation with class but I, and I think the entire audience were scared to see an angry Steven Wilson...thankfully that didn't happen and he was all in good spirits throughout the entire show.

Edit: After the show, a few things led to another and I ended up meeting Nick, Guthrie, Theo, and Steven...but that's a different story.

Edited by PolarizeMe

Just got back from the NYC show. I wanted to arrive at the venue at around 5:30 or so, but I didn't get in line until after 6 and there were quite a few people ahead of me. During the 2011 tour, I arrived at 5:00, was near the front of the line, and got a spot right near the stage. I got just as good of a spot tonight, which was a pleasant surprise. After half an hour of ambient music and techs testing the gear, a projection of the moon played on the screen, which morphed into the album cover for The Raven. That lasted for another half hour, and the band came on right at 8 (compared to 2011's show, when they came out after 9, due problems with the venue). Luminol was an energetic opener, and the first thing that I noticed was that SW was actually playing much more. Instead of dancing around the stage conducting the musicians (like in the GAYD DVD), he played guitar in the beginning before the verses. This continued throughout the show, as he played guitar, bass, and keys. The new albums sounds incredible live, even split up throughout the set. The Holy Drinker was so good. Theo Travis was the highlight for me on The Pin Drop; his sax playing was simply fantastic. Most people have been talking about how great Guthrie, Marco, and Nick are, but I don't really hear much praise for Holzman an Travis. While I love everyone in the band, I really like the jazz aspect that they bring with them, and the show wouldn't be the same without them.

The Insurgentes and Grace For Drowning songs were equally enjoyable as the new stuff. I'm really glad that he added to Insurgentes title track, as it's one of my favorites. It more than made up for the lack of Veneno Para Las Hadas. As PolarizeMe said above, some assholes had to ruin the silent parts of Raider II's intro. Someone screamed "Theo" during the first silent part. During the second part, another (probably the same guy) screamed "Play something for Connecticut" or something along those lines. Then the guy next to me started to sing. It was quite different than last time, when the entire theater was so quiet that you could hear a pin drop (no pun intended). Steven wasn't happy, but they started it again without interruption. And it kicked serious ass. Postcard was another good live song. I loved it last time, so I was looking forward to hearing it again.

The title track was the closer to the show, and I couldn't think of a better way to end such a great concert. I can't even begin to describe how good it was, especially as the show ended and Holzman played the final piano melody. Of course, there was the encore. We got Radioactive Toy, which I've actually only heard a few times. It was good, but I think I would rather have heard the No Twilight/Remainder medley. Radioactive Toy just doesn't seem like an encore song with all the psychedelic sections to it, but the sing-along parts were fun.

SW surprised me with his between-the-songs banter. He's not Mikael Akerfeldt, but he had me literally laughing out loud a few times. He joked about his mother's fascination with serial killers, leading him to become interested in the subject. He also talked about the director Harmony Korine, and how he just made his first mainstream movie. He said that he's been a fan for years, as shown by the song named after him. He joked about how "cool" he was for this fact (maybe he's turning into a hipster!). Overall, he seemed extremely happy on stage whether he was playing, singing, or talking with the crowd.

After the show, I headed to the merch booth and picked up a shirt and the record store day album. Nick Beggs was going to be there to sign copies of his comic books, but I didn't wait. I wanted to, but then I'd end up missing the earlier train. Not that big of a deal as the show was awesome and I met SW before.

I really can't recommend this show enough! It was two and a half hours of prog heaven.

PolarizeMe, where were you standing? I started out in the second row or so, right in front of SW's keyboard but I eventually ended up 4-5 rows of people back. We may have bumped into each other at one point.

Just posted my review in the Concert Reviews thread:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/9400-concert-reviews/page__st__500&do=findComment&comment=2901533

PolarizeMe, where were you standing? I started out in the second row or so, right in front of SW's keyboard but I eventually ended up 4-5 rows of people back. We may have bumped into each other at one point.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

At the TO show, Steven told a rather amusing anecdote about how he was reading a review for his album on amazon, and that it talked about his "Tolkein-esque lyrics".... "Basically," he explained, "I tend to write about three things: How women f**k me up, trains, and serial killers. No hobbits, elves or wizards... ever" which gave everyone a good chuckle...

Then before starting Raider II, Steven said something like "This next song has some silences in it.... But they are musical silences. Pretentious they may be (pauses for some audience giggles); please respect them" and typically, some guy just HAD to yell out "Hobbits!" during one of the silent bits at the beginning, to which some people couldn't help but laugh... It didnt seem to f**k them up though, which was good.

At one point someone else just HAD to yell out "Freebird!" to which he said, "Oh Freebird, like I havent heard THAT one before... like every night since 2005.."

I mean there's bound to be a couple people like that at any show.. He took it all in stride of course. Good vibes throughout the performance

I was standing not too far from you actually. I started out in the second row in between SW's pedalboard and Guthrie, but at the start of No Part of Me I was in front row. I don't know if this helps or not, but I was wearing a PT Radio City shirt, and I had a shoulder bag. During SW's banter before Harmony Korine, the part where he said "I've been a fan of his way before Spring Breakers, I'm so cool!" you might've heard someone scream out "HIPSTER!". That was me.

Edited by PolarizeMe

I was standing not too far from you actually. I started out in the second row in between SW's pedalboard and Guthrie, but at the start of No Part of Me I was in front row. I don't know if this helps or not, but I was wearing a PT Radio City shirt, and I had a shoulder bag. During SW's banter before Harmony Korine, the part where he said "I've been a fan of his way before Spring Breakers, I'm so cool!" you might've heard someone scream out "HIPSTER!". That was me.

I don't remember seeing you, but I think I heard you! I was wearing a grey Marillion shirt with a red sweatshirt.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

I don't remember seeing you, but I think I heard you! I was wearing a grey Marillion shirt with a red sweatshirt.

Yep, I definitely do not remember seeing you. You might've also heard me scream out "RAIDER II!" during the Raider II/Serial Killer/Freebird banter, and "Play a Porcupine Tree song!" before Radioactive Toy.

I flew down to San Francisco to see the show last Thursday. First time I have ever flown to see a concert and I'm really glad I did. It was a great concert and an incredible bargain for the ticket. I didn't know that Marco would be there so that was a pleasant surprise.

I wish I could see it again. Hoping SW releases a blu-ray of the show in the near future.

I saw him in Boston. Amazing. Absolutely amazing. Great sound. His lighting designer needs lessons, but that's my only complaint. :LOL:

I really hope they add a second US leg. I think one of the band members (Theo?) hinted towards a return to the states on this tour. I'd love to see them again but they'd probably skip the northeast to play in areas they missed the first time. Edited by ColdFireYYZ

I really hope they add a second US leg. I think one of the band members (Theo?) hinted towards a return to the states on this tour. I'd love to see them again but they'd probably skip the northeast to play in areas they missed the first time.

I'm definitely rooting for a US second leg. I'd be really surprised if they pass it up. They got a great response from US/Canadian fans.

According to Setlist.fm, Steven added two new songs to his setlist last night. He opened with an acoustic version of Trains and the debut of a new song in the place of The Pin Drop. Can't wait for the new song to leak one way or another

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/steven-wilson/2013/colston-hall-bristol-england-23c710cf.html

• Like 1

According to Setlist.fm, Steven added two new songs to his setlist last night. He opened with an acoustic version of Trains and the debut of a new song in the place of The Pin Drop. Can't wait for the new song to leak one way or another

http://www.setlist.f...d-23c710cf.html

So he did play another PT song. Kinda surprised that he'd play a more recent song though, IMO. I would've thought he'd play something off of Yellow Hedgegrow Dreamscape. I'm really interested in that new song and the "Street" film which replaced the Raven cover artwork intro video. Interesting title for the new song. IDK to me, the song title itself sounds either shoegazy or a B-side to The Raven.

The Birthday Party off of the Drive Home EP is now streaming on Soundcloud. Awesome musicianship, but had it been on The Raven, it wouldn't have been as great as it totally doesn't fit the mood of The Raven no matter how catchy as f*ck it is.

https://soundcloud.c...on-the-birthday

Edited by PolarizeMe
  • Like 3