Steven Wilson Tour Thread

geddyforlife

Just cause Gavin says and wrote the verse is in 7 doesn't mean the band is in 7 also. Tap the quarter note in the verse and you tell me what time signature it's in. It's very very difficult to count or play 7 eighth notes in that verse. Heck just play a simple 7/8 groove to it. It won't gell or resolve. It's in 4. The last measure of that verse Gavin plays a fill before the next section. That's in 7 and feels in 7.

Just cause Gavin says and wrote the verse is in 7 doesn't mean the band is in 7 also. Tap the quarter note in the verse and you tell me what time signature it's in. It's very very difficult to count or play 7 eighth notes in that verse. Heck just play a simple 7/8 groove to it. It won't gell or resolve. It's in 4. The last measure of that verse Gavin plays a fill before the next section. That's in 7 and feels in 7.

I don't mean any disrespect but I would like to explain some things that I "think" I know about Gavin's drumming. Any groove in 8 can also be tapped in quarter notes. The quarter tapping represents the tempo but not necessarily the time signature. Also, Gavin is very well known for playing 8 note grooves slightly an 8th ahead or an 8th behind the beat. He calls this method a Rhythmic Illusion. Check it out on his website.This explains why many of his grooves don't feel like they gel or resolve: but they do mathematically (again fully explained in detail in Rhythmic Illusions).

Just my humble explanation and can be crapped on if you like :)

booooo

Porcupine Tree are on indefinite hiatus, according to band leader Steven Wilson, and it could be another 10 years before they record together again.

He wants to focus on his solo project which recently released the album "The Raven That Refused to Sing (and Other Stories),"which means Porcupine Tree and his other band Blackfield have to take a back seat.

UG plus: remove banner

While Blackfield can continue with singerAviv Geffen taking charge of songwriting, Wilson says Porcupine Tree is different.

"It can't really happen without me instigating it, being the main writer and director," he tells Something Else reviews. "I don't have time in my life to do that and do what I'm doing now. I guess I have made the decision, right now, to concentrate on the solo career."

"That's not to say the band has broken up or anything like that. It's always conceivable that we could get back together in a year or five years, or 10 years. I really can't say - there are no plans at the moment."

It could also be because Wilson wants to move into scoring movies, as revealed in an exclusive UG interview.

"My biggest unfulfilled ambition is to do a movie soundtrack. I have an agent now in LA, finally," he told us in February. "That's pretty much top of my list of unfulfilled goals right now."

The film score thing could be interesting.

I agree. He said he would either work with someone like David Lynch or a first time director, but I think it would be very interesting if he would take a movie that's open to the public domain, and score it. I believe Kevin Moore did something like that once, although I can't remember the name of the movie. As for a first time director, he could pick me because I'm currently studying film...nah, just kidding he wouldn't want me anyway cause I'm an aspiring film editor not a director. :P

Edited by PolarizeMe

the show last night in Glenside PA was amazing. What an experience. Speechless. Sound was great. Marco was so good last night. They all were. Raider II in it's entirety. wow what a great song live. The watchmaker and holy drinker were so good live. It sounded like the record! To bad the crowd was in a diabetic coma. Not one person was getting into the music. Not to many musical acts out there like SW and his band.

don't care if PT ever got back together. i prefer the direction SW has taken. seems like a natural progression for him. can't get enough of his music. bravo mr wilson. bravo.

• Like 1

I love PT, but considering how awesome the last three albums Wilson has done have been - Grace for Downing, Storm Corrosion and The Raven - as long as he keeps making music this good, it doesn't really matter to me what project he does it with.
  • Like 1

I love PT, but considering how awesome the last three albums Wilson has done have been - Grace for Downing, Storm Corrosion and The Raven - as long as he keeps making music this good, it doesn't really matter to me what project he does it with.

Raven won me over. Still not over the moon with the first two albums, but dig raven.

That's 7 quarter notes for everybody in the band. They all hit 1 together. If you're trying to count eighths, you will drive your self nuts - it's definitely 7 quarter notes all around though the verses.

Shail - if you can read music, here's a good transcription:

http://www.bluesquaresound.com/sampleimages/porcupine_tree_muzak_pdf.pdf

if you still have trouble hearing the 7 quarters, for the basic groove, the highhat often opens on the seventh quarter note (closes on the 7& along with a snare hit) and the pattern repeats at 1 along with the guitar riff.

I am going to the Toronto show on tuesday!!! Looking forward to it with high expectations

I am going to the Toronto show on tuesday!!! Looking forward to it with high expectations

U won't be dissapointed

Enjoy! If Rush weren't starting their tour, I'm sure they'd be there!

it's pretty much impossible to be even the slightest disappointed. The show is stellar. I went with high expectations and the band came up with the goods. The surround sound during some songs is just killer. so he pipes in some back ground vocals for a few tunes. there is only two guys singing. didn't have a problem with that at all. sometimes you just have to do that to get the music across.

Wow. That was really an amazing show!

I got to the venue (never been there before.. in fact I've only ever been to Toronto a couple of times) an hour and forty-five minutes in advance. I was 23rd in line, and when the doors finally opened, I made it straight past the merch tables and everything right to the front row, a few feet to the right of center.

I couldn't have picked a better spot!! Good clear view of every performer, and Steven would often come over to where Guthrie was standing (right in front of me) because the other side had a keyboard in the way. The sound was amazing, the visuals were really cool, and the performances were just monstrous.... Everybody was on on fire, and Steven's vocals and Nick's backing vocals were both really good. Just a torrential downpour of music. Insane. The song introductions were pretty interesting, and every now and again Steven would tell a little story or joke in between songs. Infinitely memorable performance.

I stayed there in the main room and watched the outro music video while most of the people were shuffling out, and then I went to the merch area after that, hoping that it'd still be open. I was pleasantly surprised to find that not only was it still open, but Adam, Marco, Theo, and Nick stayed there afterwards to sign stuff! I had no idea that would be happening. I didn't know much about any of the backing members (except for a little bit about Marco Minnemann) but they seemed like pretty cool guys for being so excellent at their craft. I said to Nick Beggs "Your bass playing really shook me. Like PHYSICALLY moved me" and he grinned and said "Then my work is done". I told Marco that their performaces make me want to be a better musician, which he seemed to appreciate. I got them to sign the back page of my tourbook!

It was a perfect concert experience, and one that I won't ever forget. Being there and seeing them perform really made me want to elevate my own musicianship, just like with another band we all know and love on this forum!!!

:ebert:

• Like 1

Nice review of the show. I'm still buzzed over the show and its been a week. It's the greatest music show on earth right now. Nothing can touch the music and the musicianship on stage. Nothing!! We are witnessing something unique and special. It's rare to find music like this in an intimate live venue and performed at a very high level. I can't praise Wilson's music enough!!!

Oh boy, all of these reviews of Steven's show is making me even more excited about seeing him in New York tomorrow...er well it's technically tonight since it's already past midnight here on the East Coast. Call me crazy, but I still can't get over the last time I saw him and that was like a year and a half ago! It's pretty sweet that I'll be seeing the the day after my semester ended, so this show's like an end of the school year present for myself.
  • Like 1

Oh boy, all of these reviews of Steven's show is making me even more excited about seeing him in New York tomorrow...er well it's technically tonight since it's already past midnight here on the East Coast. Call me crazy, but I still can't get over the last time I saw him and that was like a year and a half ago! It's pretty sweet that I'll be seeing the the day after my semester ended, so this show's like an end of the school year present for myself.

Same here. I saw him on Sunday and I finished classes today. I got most of my work done before the show and my birthday was the week before so I know your feeling :D . I posted a review in the concert review thread. The show was amazing, the best I've ever been to.

• Like 1

The show was amazing, the best I've ever been to.

Pretty much sums up how I feel about the show. I'll definitely post my review (and based on what happened today before, during, and after the show, it's going to be a VERY long one) of the NYC show on the concert reviews thread, but I just have to say that they had to start Raider II all over again because a few fans yelled during intro which eventually screwed Steven up and missed his cue. Steven handled the situation with class but I, and I think the entire audience were scared to see an angry Steven Wilson...thankfully that didn't happen and he was all in good spirits throughout the entire show.

After the show, a few things led to another and I ended up meeting Nick, Guthrie, Theo, and Steven...but that's a different story.