"Tom Sawyer" boycott?

Disk98

I am tired of "Tom Sawyer." Tired of it! It has been played EVERY SINGLE SHOW since 1981, and I'm sick of hearing it on EVERY LIVE ALBUM. It sounds EXACTLY THE SAME on every album. Maybe it's time to put the "modern day warrior" to rest? Can we, as loyal fans of Rush, convince the band that "Tom Sawyer" has got to go?

By the way, before you counter with something about "The Spirit of Radio," I say it stays because it sounds different—better, I think—now than it did 30 years ago.

NO because I'm only just getting to see Rush in concert and I want to rock out to it as many times as possible. :P
  • Like 4

NO because my wife saw them for the first time last year and she really wanted to hear TS. It's a great song- one of their best. Just deal with its greatness, if only for those first-timers.
  • Like 3

It's the "money song", besides the professor hits the skins with the most "purpose" on this song, it's quintessential RUSH SONG!

Besides, it's the hook song that brought me to the Rush alter back when it emerged!

Edited by Tom Sawyer
  • Like 1

Boycott TS?? Are you kidding me?!? One of their classic songs...can't beat Neil's drums on this either!!

:haz: :rush: :rush: :haz:

• Like 1

I am tired of "Tom Sawyer." Tired of it! It has been played EVERY SINGLE SHOW since 1981, and I'm sick of hearing it on EVERY LIVE ALBUM. It sounds EXACTLY THE SAME on every album. Maybe it's time to put the "modern day warrior" to rest? Can we, as loyal fans of Rush, convince the band that "Tom Sawyer" has got to go?

By the way, before you counter with something about "The Spirit of Radio," I say it stays because it sounds different—better, I think—now than it did 30 years ago.

I'm with you on this one, I wouldn't miss Tom Sawyer if they never play it again.

I'd take it a little further and say the same for Spirit of radio, Limelight, and the drum solo.

It's only my opinion, and I realise it's not a popular one. :ph34r:

Edited by razor blade

I wouldn't lose any sleep if they never played it again either. "One of their best" songs, but not their best. Plus, we've heard it a million times. Wouldn't mind swapping it out for something less often played.

Holy shit - as soon as I clicked "post" on the above post, Tom Sawyer came on the friggin' radio!

Twilight Zone, eh?

• Like 2

As much as it wouldn't bother me to NOT see Tom Sawyer live again, you have to consider this...

What if you had JUST gotten into Rush, and Tom Sawyer had currently been your (or one of your) favorite Rush tunes? So you finally see them in concert, and it just happens to be the FIRST TIME EVER, that the band drops TS from the setlist? You can't say that you would NOT be upset. :no:

The Spirit of Radio has a 1,000% better chance of getting dropped. And it actually HAS. TWICE. (beginning of the "Presto" tour, and on the first leg of "Clockwork Angels" it got swapped out every couple of shows)

• Like 2

As much as it wouldn't bother me to NOT see Tom Sawyer live again, you have to consider this...

What if you had JUST gotten into Rush, and Tom Sawyer had currently been your (or one of your) favorite Rush tunes? So you finally see them in concert, and it just happens to be the FIRST TIME EVER, that the band drops TS from the setlist? You can't say that you would NOT be upset. :no:

The Spirit of Radio has a 1,000% better chance of getting dropped. And it actually HAS. TWICE. (beginning of the "Presto" tour, and on the first leg of "Clockwork Angels" it got swapped out every couple of shows)

I too am tired of hearing TS, but I still like hearing it - if for nothing else, the first timers. There was a time I didn't like it at all because all the poser Rush fans would say they love that song.

This will be my daughter's first show, she is trying to learn to play the keyboards in TS, so she would be disappointed if they didn't play it. She said she would really like to see Headlong Flight and The Camera Eye. :LOL:

• Like 2

She said she would really like to see Headlong Flight and The Camera Eye. :LOL:

There's an even better chance of The Camera Eye coming back to the set this summer, than Tom Sawyer getting dropped, even, lol :P

I too am tired of hearing TS, but I still like hearing it - if for nothing else, the first timers. There was a time I didn't like it at all because all the poser Rush fans would say they love that song.

This will be my daughter's first show, she is trying to learn to play the keyboards in TS, so she would be disappointed if they didn't play it. She said she would really like to see Headlong Flight and The Camera Eye. :LOL:

You have a point, but there's always YouTube, and there are 8 other live albums containing the song, not to mention several compilations and "Moving Pictures" itself.

You have a point, but there's always YouTube, and there are 8 other live albums containing the song, not to mention several compilations and "Moving Pictures" itself.

This is also true. But yeah...honestly, if they DID give Tom Sawyer the axe, it wouldn't affect me at all...other than I would maybe feel slightly sorry for those in the crowd who are first-timers, and were really banking on hearing it.

You're gonna tell me watching it on YouTube and seeing it performed live, surrounded by thousands of screaming fans is the same? Seriously??

A billion posers can shout their love for Tom Sawyer every second of the day but it wouldn't change how much I like it

• Like 1

You're gonna tell me watching it on YouTube and seeing it performed live, surrounded by thousands of screaming fans is the same? Seriously??

No, not at all. I'm just saying that maybe it isn't the end of the world. That's all, sorry if I offended you. :-)

A billion posers can shout their love for Tom Sawyer every second of the day but it wouldn't change how much I like it

You know when you're a teenager and you love something because it's different... and then all the people that really have no clue about said thing you love try to pretend to and it loses it's uniqueness... kinda like how Hipsters live their life? That's what happened with TS to me for a while. I found a new love for it the same time Rush got back together.

No, not at all. I'm just saying that maybe it isn't the end of the world. That's all, sorry if I offended you. :-)

No, not offended... seeing it live is a special thing, that's all I was saying. I've been to the Superbowl, and I've watched it on TV - the electricity seeing it live cannot be matched at home... but you do miss all the funny commercials :)

Would be cool if they changed up TS - played a reggae version like the did with WM.... play an oompa version of it like they did with TSOR...

NO because my wife saw them for the first time last year and she really wanted to hear TS. It's a great song- one of their best. Just deal with its greatness, if only for those first-timers.

No for the same reason though it was my brother seeing them for the first time last year and he really wanted to hear it and see Neil play it (he played some drums in his past).

Absolutely not. Must hear Tom Sawyer. Not hearing Rush play Tom Sawyer would be like Deep Purple not playing Smoke on the Water or Led Zeppelin not playing Stairway to Heaven.

It is their definitive track, for better or worse. It is the track that shot them into the stratosphere - everyone I know who doesn't know Rush, knows that song. For me, it is track number one and all other Rush derives from it. It was my introduction to Rush, and what a fine introduction it remains. It motivated me to buy MP which motivated me to get ESL (because it had Tom Sawyer and others), 2112, FBN, AFTK, ATWAS and so on. Tom Sawyer is very distinctive in Rush's catalog. No song Rush, nor any song anyone else has performed, sounds like it. It is an anthem. ( :haz: for Anthem!) Even though it isn't their highest charting song, it is certainly their most recognizable. Everyone recognizes the *huge* opening E. The drums. Geddy singing "A modern day warrior.." and then some other stuff.

Definitive Rush. Always played.

Oh, and TBR, somebody upstairs was trying to tell you something. Your post about TS and moments later it comes on the radio? :eh: Sure, it's played a hundred times a day across the country, but at *that* particular moment. I'm just sayin'. ;)

• Like 2

:goodone:

• Like 1