Rush's ridiculous philosophy on setlist

Yes it is the bottom line. I am very happy that a band that I started listening to in 1978 is still churning out the material. My only peeve is their insistence on playing large chunks of their new material back-to-back. If I remember correctly, the VP Tour was not done this way and it was GREAT! The last two "Album Tours" fans got the back-to-back formula. It did not go over very well for me. I am wondering why they selected this route as opposed to sticking to the "mix it up" scheme? For me, their CP and T4E Tours were an excellent mix. I do not expect "Greatest Hits Tours" from this band. In fact, I would be really bummed if they went that way. However, it would be sweet to sprinkle the old among the new in a better fashion. I think it to be reasonable to question this. Guess I am not die-hard enough....lol Edited by drgrendel

Yes it is the bottom line. I am very happy that a band that I started listening to in 1978 is still churning out the material. My only peeve is their insistence on playing large chunks of their new material back-to-back. If I remember correctly, the VP Tour was not done this way and it was GREAT! The last two "Album Tours" fans got the back-to-back formula. It did not go over very well for me. I am wondering why they selected this route as opposed to sticking to the "mix it up" scheme? For me, their CP and T4E Tours were an excellent mix. I do not expect "Greatest Hits Tours" from this band. In fact, I would be really bummed if they went that way. However, it would be sweet to sprinkle the old among the new in a better fashion. I think it to be reasonable to question this. Guess I am not die-hard enough....lol

Well, I agree and disagree. For the Snakes and Arrows tour, yeah, it made no sense to group all of those songs together. For this tour though, I think that the new album needed to be presented this way. First of all the string section was present so it would be in poor form for them to have to just sit around waiting for CA songs to play on. Secondly, it's pretty obvious to me that the band is trying to present CA as one collective work. Even though they only played parts of it, the band was clearly trying to perform Clockwork Angels as a concept piece, similar to how they handle 2112. Even though they only play certain parts of 2112 on any given tour, they always play the parts together. Also, performing the songs together allows the more open-minded fan to really focus on the material and listen to it without having each song bracketed by more common fare.

*Unfortunately, so many people have shortened attention spans. I mean, how hard is it to pay attention to new music for 45 minutes? Seriously? Here you have a band of world class musicians who have some new music that they want to play for you, and all you can do is grumble about how they're not playing the same old shit you've heard a thousand times. I mean, we've all listened to entire albums straight through before right? Well, in this situation it's the exact same thing, except you actually have the band in the same room with you playing the album.*

Some may say that this approach is selfish for the band. I agree, however, I do not see being selfish as a necessarily bad thing. Rush built their entire careers on being selfish. When asked to record more radio-friendly songs, they were too selfish and instead gave the world 2112. For those of you that are sick and tired of Rush being themselves, I encourage you to go catch Aerosmith on tour sometime. You can go tomorrow, or in 10 years, the setlist will always be the same.

*drgrendel, This is not meant to apply directly to you. Rather, it's my response to all of the setlist whining I've heard in general.*

Edited by Dscrapre

@Dscrapre - I respect your point and I could go on about how CA did not have to be presented back-to-back given the individuality of the tracks. Additionally, I could go on about how the String Section was a nice touch, but not really necessary for a "Rock Show." They did what they did and it was cool for me to see once. I had tix for a second show (1st leg)but gave them to my buddy and his son. I fell upon great seats for this leg, but I am still not feeling the urge to see them again as I once did. I may give them away to another friend who has never been to a Rush show. They do have an expansive list of songs to dig into and I don't want to hear just the classics over and over. I guess I was left feeling "blah" about this tour for different reasons than others have posted.

@ShlappinDaBass - It would be GREAT if those 3 tunes were dropped from the set and others were inserted in their place. Now that would be "Mixin' it up!"

Edited by drgrendel

I "love" paying over 100 bucks for every show to listen to Tom Sawyer, Limelight, and 2112...

You won't get any argument from me on the count of 2112. :)

Would LOVE to see Geddy throw out bottles and bottles of extra strength Mydol at all the shows. "This is for everyone who came here tonight to hear us play only songs that YOU want us to play."
  • Like 2

I personally love when the term "Troll" is tossed out against those who post an unpopular opinion. Not everyone in the "Rush Kingdom" is overly fond of CA nor the current tour list. Why does that make their opinions and comments any less significant than those who love everything Rush? This forum is simply a sample of the total Rush Fan Population. It is ok not to like everything!

Absolutely, but if it sounds like a troll and smells like a troll, I'm, labelling it as one! (and calling someone a Troll is also an opinion). Regardless, comparing Rush to Van Halen is ridiculous. Besides, the latest VH tour thanks to Diamond Dave sounded like a pile of shit dropped on a landfill in the height of summer.

:finbar:

Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 2

Yes it is the bottom line. I am very happy that a band that I started listening to in 1978 is still churning out the material. My only peeve is their insistence on playing large chunks of their new material back-to-back. If I remember correctly, the VP Tour was not done this way and it was GREAT! The last two "Album Tours" fans got the back-to-back formula. It did not go over very well for me. I am wondering why they selected this route as opposed to sticking to the "mix it up" scheme? For me, their CP and T4E Tours were an excellent mix. I do not expect "Greatest Hits Tours" from this band. In fact, I would be really bummed if they went that way. However, it would be sweet to sprinkle the old among the new in a better fashion. I think it to be reasonable to question this. Guess I am not die-hard enough....lol

If just the mere fact that Rush is playing on stage, regardless of the setlist, isn't enough for you to go see them again on this tour....then yes, I would say you are not die hard enlugh...

Would LOVE to see Geddy throw out bottles and bottles of extra strength Mydol at all the shows. "This is for everyone who came here tonight to hear us play only songs that YOU want us to play."

I wish Geddy would have thrown me some Mydol at the Anaheim show...

Talk about bad timing.

• Like 3

@Dscrapre@ mmm ,m,m,,,,,,,,,,jjjutgufiulrtil@Dscrapre @@@@@\]'23wr]`l.;3t=p,k243, yp,,@2;',ofmw,mf@Dscrapre - I respect your point and I could go on about how CA did not have to be presented back-to-back given the individuality of the tracks. Additionally, I could go on about how the String Section was a nice touch, but not really necessary for a "Rock Show." They did what they did and it was cool for me to see once. I had tix for a second show (1st leg)but gave them to my buddy and his son. I fell upon great seats for this leg, but I am still not feeling the urge to see them again as I once did. I may give them away to another friend who has never been to a Rush show. They do have an expansive list of songs to dig into and I don't want to hear just the classics over and over. I guess I was left feeling "blah" about this tour for different reasons than others have posted.

@ShlappinDaBass - It would be GREAT if those 3 tunes were dropped from the set and others were inserted in their place. Now that would be "Mixin' it up!"

You fell upon great seats for this leg? but don't have the urge?

I am not really sure why people spend time on a forum like this for a band that you are so ho-hum about seeing...

No one has to do what I am doing to prove how big a fan they are....(i am going to many many shows in 2013, i don't think i should even say how many for fear of my sanity coming into question)

I am treating this tour as if its the last one...cause....it could be....hoping not..but despite Geddy saying they will take some time off and recharge the batteries and then see what the future holds, as far as I am concerned, until they announce a tour and dates that are beyond August 4, 2013.....well, then this is it....and could be it for two years or longer....

I bitch about setlists more than others....but when push comes to shove, WHO CARES WHAT THEY PLAY.....

If Ged, Alex and Neil on stage, playing music live, ANY music, isn't enough......not sure where to go with that...

my favoirte line from the documentary was Gene SImmons, "What kind of music is RUSH? It's RUSH."

Edited by nhlrush
  • Like 2

I love when people start by saying, "I'm a die hard fan", then complain about the set list.

Guess what.....You're NOT a die hard fan then.

Die hard fans don't care what they play, how they play it, or why they play it.

Die hard fans are happy with any song they choose to play live, and most have seen them so many times they don't want to hear the standards.

• Like 5

LMAO! Glad that you guys clarified my status as a RUSH fan - I guess going to 1 CA show trumps seeing the band 3 times on each of their last 5 tours. I think that I am a better person for giving the tickets to someone who will absolutely love the show as opposed to going and merely enjoy the show. I may not be a die-hard, but if it means being like some of the posters on here, it is more than ok by me. Didn't mean for you 'ins to get your panties all in a bunch. Geesh! Later! Edited by drgrendel

Haven't decided whether to see them or not this spring, but I can appreciate the set list. A quick scan of their concert videos and live albums show a long history of banging out the hits - honestly, it's not like the Grateful Dead, where you can't guess how they're going to play Tom Sawyer from one show to another. No, whether you like the setlist or not, I'm happy to see them reaching back for things that haven't gotten a lot of stageplay before.

I love when people start by saying, "I'm a die hard fan", then complain about the set list.

Die hard fans are happy with any song they choose to play live, and most have seen them so many times they don't want to hear the standards.

You may be confusing "Die Hard" with "fanboy" or "fanboi"

I find Die Hard fans are very critical of things they love simply because they hold such things with such high regard.

• Like 2

If just the mere fact that Rush is playing on stage, regardless of the setlist, isn't enough for you to go see them again on this tour....then yes, I would say you are not die hard enlugh...

I agree - I liked the mixed up formula better, VT was very spread out, S&A was chunked, but not all new straight thru. I completely understand why they are doing this for CA seeing it is telling a story.

I'm glad we can all respectfully disagree with each others opinions about a setlist and share our thoughts on the matter without things getting too defensive.
  • Like 1

I personally love when the term "Troll" is tossed out against those who post an unpopular opinion. Not everyone in the "Rush Kingdom" is overly fond of CA nor the current tour list. Why does that make their opinions and comments any less significant than those who love everything Rush? This forum is simply a sample of the total Rush Fan Population. It is ok not to like everything!

Absolutely, but if it sounds like a troll and smells like a troll, I'm, labelling it as one! (and calling someone a Troll is also an opinion). Regardless, comparing Rush to Van Halen is ridiculous. Besides, the latest VH tour thanks to Diamond Dave sounded like a pile of shit dropped on a landfill in the height of summer.

:finbar:

This, and comparing them to Aerosmith is even more troll-like as I stated in my first post on this thread. The OP tried the exact same tact about 5 months ago comparing Rush to Aerosmith so if you bring nothing new to an argument and start a whole new thread with the same tired point of view, you're simply trolling at that point. He didn't respond to my point then and hasn't on this thread either......again, troll city. But as Snaked said, are we really still feeding the guy? (sadly, yes)

You may be confusing "Die Hard" with "fanboy" or "fanboi"

I find Die Hard fans are very critical of things they love simply because they hold such things with such high regard.

Very well stated!

I wish Geddy would have thrown me some Mydol at the Anaheim show...

Talk about bad timing.

Hilarious! (Well, maybe not for you..)

• Like 1

If people would take the time to understand the meaning of certain words, I am convinced they would cease in randomly tossing them about.

Die-hard -

Stubbornly resisting change or clinging to a seemingly hopeless or outdated cause.

n.

Edited by drgrendel