Clockwork Angels—Stock up or down?

Tombstone Mountain

Almost one year since the release of Clockwork Angels  

136 members have voted

1. 1. How has Clockwork Angels matured for you?

• Better than when I first got it, but still "meh" Stock down
    • It's a real disappointment—Stock Down
    • The album is among their very best efforts—Stock up
    • It's the best work they've done—period!!! Stock up waaay up

Ain't got a car or a boombox, so I can't dispute that claim. However, the album sounds really awful on my above average stereo, absolutely horrendous. Throughout the first listen I needed to keep adjusting the volume to prevent my ears from bleeding, this is how bad it was. Unnecessarily overlong songs didn't help the situation either.

Sorry to say this folks but in my personal opinion this album is garbage both musically and sonically. On the other hand, I wasn't expecting that much from them considering how consistently bad the band studio output has been ever since VP, so...

Musically, the album for me was solid from the get-go. Picking up where S&A left off, but with something a bit different. At the time, I couldn't put my finger on it. Then, I read the book. All became clear. The music became more pronounced and the lyrics "popped" afterwards. Like many who've posted here, I have to listen to the whole album...front to back. Its like reading a novel...there will be parts that are hard to get through, but without them, the story wouldn't be complete.

I remember seeing them play Caravan and BU2B live and while the songs were great, they held no meaning to me at the time...because I didn't understand their meaning or their "place" in the overall story. Now I do.

I still get blown away by the time changes and the sheer proficiency that these crazy Canucks can still produce. Easily in my top 5 for sheer quality.

• Like 1

Musically, the album for me was solid from the get-go. Picking up where S&A left off, but with something a bit different. At the time, I couldn't put my finger on it. Then, I read the book. All became clear. The music became more pronounced and the lyrics "popped" afterwards. Like many who've posted here, I have to listen to the whole album...front to back. Its like reading a novel...there will be parts that are hard to get through, but without them, the story wouldn't be complete.

I remember seeing them play Caravan and BU2B live and while the songs were great, they held no meaning to me at the time...because I didn't understand their meaning or their "place" in the overall story. Now I do.

I still get blown away by the time changes and the sheer proficiency that these crazy Canucks can still produce. Easily in my top 5 for sheer quality.

I've not read the novel. Really have no interest in doing so at this point—perhaps in the future though. I agree about the quality of the record, though audiophiles will argue against it. For me, there's no quality issue because I like the way it sounds. It's different than any record they've put out sound wise. This is not the Terry Brown era..recording has changed and the band has appropriately changed along with the times. Some fans can't or won't accept that reality.

I knew when they released Caravan and BU2B that we were going to get something heavy and distinctly RUSH. Upon release of Headlong Flight I was blown away even more by the sheer "balls" and audacity. They've managed to create a new sound while holding onto what makes them so unique. I credit the producer for much of that. In the bands own words Nick pushes them and reminds them that making music is supposed to be fun. He also made them feel comfortable giving homage to the past, and guided them to revisit their "golden" age.

In comparison with their past efforts I enjoy this record with their very best. Why? Because it simply is that great. This is not a rehash, or retread—it's new, it's got direction, and it's got passion—what more could we ask for?

• Like 3

Now that's it's starting to get warmer out, there's nothing better than cranking the first 5 or 6 songs in the car on my way home from work. You know, windows down, volume all the way up. The Anarchist still mesmerizes me, their playing is that good.
  • Like 2

Just gave Clockwork Angels a listen the other day after not hearing it since perhaps November of last year and it just blew me away...it really is one of their very best in my opinion.
  • Like 1

Glad to see it's getting a lot of love here, overall...I posted once in this thread with my thoughts on it already, but there's no harm in doing so again. What Tombstone said about times (and production values) changing is absolutely right- just take it for what it is, which is a latter-period masterpiece. It's just a great record.
  • Like 1

Meh, I think everyone is putting too much faith in this concept approach.

Not everyone. I really don't care about the concept at all. I didn't read the booklet until several weeks after I'd gotten the album and was thoroughly familiar with the songs, and I thought the book was poor and had to put it out of my mind immediately after reading it, but the music I loved upon first listen, and have only come to love it even more since then.

I am still shaking my head in wonderment when I think about the utter improbability of this album at this time from this band. Six years ago I was a latecomer to the Rush party, but damn did I pick a great time to show up! :D

• Like 1

Meh, I think everyone is putting too much faith in this concept approach.

Not everyone. I really don't care about the concept at all. I didn't read the booklet until several weeks after I'd gotten the album and was thoroughly familiar with the songs, and I thought the book was poor and had to put it out of my mind immediately after reading it, but the music I loved upon first listen, and have only come to love it even more since then.

I am still shaking my head in wonderment when I think about the utter improbability of this album at this time from this band. Six years ago I was a latecomer to the Rush party, but damn did I pick a great time to show up! :D

Good news for us fans is that Rush is getting BETTER with age...when I listen to past albums they sound so "dated", while Clockwork Angels sounds modern, sophisticated, and youthful. So cool!!!
  • Like 1

Ain't got a car or a boombox, so I can't dispute that claim. However, the album sounds really awful on my above average stereo, absolutely horrendous. Throughout the first listen I needed to keep adjusting the volume to prevent my ears from bleeding, this is how bad it was. Unnecessarily overlong songs didn't help the situation either.

Sorry to say this folks but in my personal opinion this album is garbage both musically and sonically. On the other hand, I wasn't expecting that much from them considering how consistently bad the band studio output has been ever since VP, so...

I sadly agree with you on the sonically part. Its stock has dropped for me because I can't stand the sound quality. Makes it frustrating and unenjoyable to listen to. I still do believe its very strong musically. The sound quality destroys the music for me.

• Like 1

Here was something that came to mind recently—What song(s) from Clockwork Angels is "definitive" Rush? What song(s) ranks as all time greats in the bands catalog? To me four make that list: title track, SCOG, HF, and The Garden. Which ones do you put on the all time great list?

"Definitive" Rush tracks for me:

Clockwork Angels

7COG

Caravan

BU2B

Anarchist is right on the edge of making it 5. The sheer depth of CA is what makes it amazing. HLF is like my #9 song on the album... ridiculous :smoke:

• Like 1

Here was something that came to mind recently—What song(s) from Clockwork Angels is "definitive" Rush? What song(s) ranks as all time greats in the bands catalog? To me four make that list: title track, SCOG, HF, and The Garden. Which ones do you put on the all time great list?

Clockwork Angels

7COG

Caravan

BU2B

Anarchist is right on the edge of making it 5. The sheer depth of CA is what makes it amazing. HLF is like my #9 song on the album... ridiculous :smoke:

I'd go with Caravan, Clockwork Angels, Headlong Flight and The Garden. The Anarchist is moving its way in there too. 7cog is probably my least favorite, but it's not bad.

• Like 1

Clockwork Angels

7COG

Caravan

BU2B

I'd go with Caravan, Clockwork Angels, Headlong Flight and The Garden. The Anarchist is moving its way in there too. 7cog is probably my least favorite, but it's not bad.

Hard to go wrong with those songs...I'm really curious as to why SCOG hasn't really gotten the love. It's funny that it's probably your least favorite, yet you can say "it's not bad", which speaks to the greatness of Clockwork Angels

Clockwork Angels

7COG

Caravan

BU2B

Hard to go wrong with those songs...I'm really curious as to why SCOG hasn't really gotten the love. It's funny that it's probably your least favorite, yet you can say "it's not bad", which speaks to the greatness of Clockwork Angels

For me, 7cog has a very grating vocal and a very long sameness for a moderately long song. It starts off with a great intro, and moves into an ok riff and the song just does the same thing for 6 minutes. It's not bad, and instill think it's ok, just my least favorite. And yes, that does speak to the depth of this great album.

• Like 1

Clockwork Angels

7COG

Caravan

BU2B

For me, 7cog has a very grating vocal and a very long sameness for a moderately long song. It starts off with a great intro, and moves into an ok riff and the song just does the same thing for 6 minutes. It's not bad, and instill think it's ok, just my least favorite. And yes, that does speak to the depth of this great album.

I can appreciate that...for me, its such an awesome story...vivid...Ged's voice floors me in a positive way. It seems to have a sense of fury
  • Like 1

Just been listening to it in the car, some of the bass sounds like large lumps of concrete being dropped on the ground like someone trying to impress you with a big cheap sub woofer. Just noticed at the end of The Wreckers Alex starts to solo but it disappears quickly. Best Rush album in a long while but hope the next one has individual songs.

Clockwork Angels

7COG

Caravan

BU2B

No love for The Anarchist? :(

Just gave the album another spin. Second listen impressions:

a) the production still sucks

b) the arrangements suck, which leads us to p c):

c) the album is waaay too long

d) too much vocals and pointless guitar strumming, gimme some proper rock music damnit!

Overall I think, starting with VP, Rush have dropped european prog rock influences completely, the album has a very american vibe to it. On the other hand, the Lee/Lifeson duo has grown totally impotent in the songwriting department and even the pseudo-sophisticated arrangements and the "wall of Nickelback sound" production can't help.

2/5 it is with bonus half point for the band's past glory. 2.5/5 overall.

Just gave the album another spin. Second listen impressions:

a) the production still sucks

b) the arrangements suck, which leads us to p c):

c) the album is waaay too long

d) too much vocals and pointless guitar strumming, gimme some proper rock music damnit!

Overall I think, starting with VP, Rush have dropped european prog rock influences completely, the album has a very american vibe to it. On the other hand, the Lee/Lifeson duo has grown totally impotent in the songwriting department and even the pseudo-sophisticated arrangements and the "wall of Nickelback sound" production can't help.

2/5 it is with bonus half point for the band's past glory. 2.5/5 overall.

thank you Rolling Stone
  • Like 2

Actually, RS gave the album a more positive review :D

The biggest problem with this record is that songs are indistinguishable from another aside from the first two songs and Headlong Flight.

Take, for example, La Villa Strangiato. It's 10 a minutes long instrumental but has multiple distinctive themes, memorable moments, melodies and even hooks. And it doesn't need 5 layers of guitars all maxed out to sound grandiose.

Nothing on CA even approaches the quality of songwriting on that one. Dunno how can anyone call this album a classic.. It's dreadful.

Edited by Vicious