It's official, hopes for a 40th anniversary tour ARE doomed!

nhlrush

From RIAB:

quote from article in Metal Hammer:

Geddy: ""I don't think about things like the 40th anniversary. We have no plans to celebrate it. We did enough for the 30th. So, if anything is being planned, it will be without our involvement. We are still looking forward, not back." ...

Yikes....so this means after Kansas City on August 4, 2013, there are ZERO plans for the future of RUSH besides REST....

I am not saying they don't deserve it....sure they do...and they can do anything they want, they owe us nothing. NOTHING...

but as a fan of the band and someone who travels to see many multiple shows per tour, I cannot help but wonder when we may see Rush on stage again.....could they change their minds about an R40, maybe, but doubtful....

Will Geddy just concede that the rigors of touring are just too much for another extended tour.....

As said in my other thread about R40, if you have the ability to see them on this tour.....GO!!!

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/Smilies%20GIFs/runaway.gifhttp://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/Smilies%20GIFs/runaway.gifhttp://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/Smilies%20GIFs/runaway.gif

I actually thought the lack of "classics" on the current tour.

i.e. natural science, xanadu, la villa, hemispheres, trees, freewill, closer to the heart, by-tor, etc. etc...

were because they were saving them for an R40 type blowout...

it goes without saying, they do any tour that involves chunks of hemispheres, a whole other group of old time rush fans come out of the woodwork for that...

I knew there wouldn't be an R40 after they announced a 2013 leg for the current tour. They will need at least a year off after this, plus they wouldn't do good buisness touring three years in a row. I don't get why people are surprised there won't be a 40th anniversary tour. After this tour we probably won't see them live again until 2015 at the earliest.

I think the thought was that this tour ends in early august....they start R40 in sept 2014, that's a year off the stage....

they do 50-60 shows total through spring of 2015, then they take an extended break and take 2015-16 off, returning in 2017...

something like that....

I get they need a long break, since their return they've toured 2002, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013.....

when you look at it like that....that's a lot of touring....

on the bright side, it seems like at some point down the road, they will create some new music ....

No surprise that there won't be an R40. Ged's been saying this for months now and we might as well accept it. Get out and see the guys this summer cuz it's gonna be a minimum of a year and a half and likely at least 2 years before they're out again IMO.

And I do think they'll continue to play live well into their late 60s but it won't be like they always have with long tours and such. Look at what McCartney does as the model. He'll play here and there (and everywhere LOL....couldn't resist that song reference) kind of hit and miss and even when he does a tour proper it's like 5 days between shows. This is the model I see for Rush in the next 5-7 years.

Edited by driventotheedge
  • Like 1

No surprise that there won't be an R40. Ged's been saying this for months now and we might as well accept it. Get out and see the guys this summer cuz it's gonna be a minimum of a year and a half and likely at least 2 years before they're out again IMO.

And I do think they'll continue to play live well into their late 60s but it won't be like they always have with long tours and such. Look at what McCartney does as the model. He'll play here and there (and everywhere LOL....couldn't resist that song reference) kind of hit and miss and even when he does a tour proper it's like 5 days between shows. This is the model I see for Rush in the next 5-7 years.

5 days betwen shows?

oh, that would make it almost impossible to spend two weeks on the road seeing shows....gotten harder with the no back to back shows these days

Best case scenario for fans right now.

I see no reason for Rush to hash out a R40 tour - they have sort of "been there, done that" with R30 and do not need the money.

I plan on seeing them at least three times on this next leg, then enjoying a long break right along with them.

Theres to much $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ at stake not to tour.

If it was just for the money I think Rush would be retired now.

• Like 2

it goes without saying, they do any tour that involves chunks of hemispheres, a whole other group of old time rush fans come out of the woodwork for that...

...And a whole other group of diehards check out YouTube videos of the tour and claim they're all washed up. Then we all meet back on TRF to argue about it :P

This isn't that big of a tour, 35 concerts 2012, 35 concerts in 2013. My god there are bands whose members are older playing far more shows in a more concentrated time frame. The reason the're not talking a 40th anniversary tour is that they are waiting for this one to be over. The casual fan may not go to this leg of the Clockwork Angels tour if they know they are going to do a R40 with more Classics.

This isn't that big of a tour, 35 concerts 2012, 35 concerts in 2013. My god there are bands whose members are older playing far more shows in a more concentrated time frame. The reason the're not talking a 40th anniversary tour is that they are waiting for this one to be over. The casual fan may not go to this leg of the Clockwork Angels tour if they know they are going to do a R40 with more Classics.

interesting take on it....

i am not sure that rush really manipulates things like this, but its true in the fact that if I knew for sure that there was going to be an R40 tour, I would scale back some shows for this spring/summer leg...

with Geddy saying there will be no plans for R40, I am trying to figure out how many shows I can get to

• Like 1

There might be a very few bands that play more dates than Rush at their age (although I am struggling to think of one) but none are a 3-piece virtuoso band. There's a hell of a lot of difference between feel-good 4-6 member pop bands, which are fun and have their place, and the hard-hitting, complicated music Rush performs.

I honestly think this might be IT for proper tours. A festival or show here or there but no more big tours.

I'm kind of thinking along those same lines, as much as I hate to admit it to myself.

I like Geddy's reply in that it hints the group still going to consider making new music and why should they bother worrying about anything else at this point. I could easily see a Farewell Tour more than (another) anniversary tour. I agree with those that believe 2015 is the earliest we'll see the band on the road again. I also wonder if Geddy is simply saying the 30th anniversary was something they really wanted to celebrate for themselves as much as give something to the fans. What does a 40th really signify to them? Is it really a milestone to say "hey, guys, you stuck with us 30 years and we gave you all we had, now, because you hung in another 10 years, we have to do it again(??)" For me, a "been there, done that" attitude makes sense. Edited by jjgittes
  • Like 1

In the Eddie Trunk show video, it's very clear that Rush will not be touring for AT LEAST a year after this tour ends. geddy mentioned, "extended hiatus." That could mean 2 or more years. They did say they love playing a three hour show, and they may do future tours with more than one day between shows to recover—Geddy spoke about not being allowed to talk on the day between shows, and not being able to enjoy the travel due to the need for rest on days off while touring. If they make another 10 years, maybe we'll see an R50 tour.
  • Like 1

Why would Geddy make any further commitments at this time anyway?? They have no idea how they will feel after this tour. At this point in their career it is one year at a time.
  • Like 1

Time to face it , the end of the Garden Road is ahead