Surprised and Disappointed/Alex and Geddy Show No Class

pratt53

Just an honest appraisal thats all.. Would have been interesting to hear what donna summer might have thought about a track like circumstances for example

I loved all that disco sh*t myself they made some good stuff

I now hate Rush because of this! I can no longer be fan of a band that gives honest answers about how they felt in the past. I will now go find a band that does nothing but lie and gives me a constant smooshy feeling inside.

Rush, you have lost your smooshiness somewhere down the road! :tsk:

Edited by snowdogged
  • Like 4

Rolling Stone played Alex and Geddy a song by each of their fellow 2013 RRHOF Iinductees. Their comments, (that you can read below) about Donna Summer were totally inappropriate. You don't diss someone on an occasion like this and not someone who recently passed away. Save your anti-disco feelings for another forum/interview/time. Just really inappropriate and makes them look like total assholes, which I fear a little mainstream attention has caused them to become.

LEE: This brings back memories of a terrible period of music to me. We were hardcore rockers and disco was so counter to that. The divide was stark back then between disco and rock.

LIFESON: We’re not going to vomit listening to it now, as we might have back then. The arrangements of all of her songs are very well done, and her voice is fantastic. She was quite an accomplished painter as well.

Sorry prat, but they don't look like total assholes at all. They were just being honest. Alex and Geddy obviously didn't want to give phony answers. Didn't they wear 'Disco Sucks' t-shirts back in the day? That would be funny if someone printed photo of Geddy wearing a Disco Sucks t-shirt and under it is the quote you wanted from Geddy gushing about Donna Summers and how glad the Queen of Disco is finally in the RRRHOF.

I thought Geddy said nothing at all about Ms. Summer herself and Alex's answer was mature, and gave her deserved kudos. I think you have a lot of misplaced anger, of some kind.

There's a time and a place to be honest and a time and a place to edit yourself. And I don;t think it's really mature of a 60 year old guy to say he wouldn't vomit from something. No one has to gush. just be respectful. And to someone else who responded, it's not about being respectful of the dead, which should be some consideration, but be respectful of a fellow inductee.

You don;t have to praise the music. They didn't praise public enemy and rap, they just weren't negative or disrespectful.

it's about time, place and context. it seems hard to explain that to you.

As for the misplaced anger, really? that's what you get from this?

I get this from you and your quote:

"Just really inappropriate and makes them look like total assholes, which I fear a little mainstream attention has caused them to become.

If you think Alex and Geddy have become assholes, you're angry. And it's misplaced anger, unless maybe you're a huge Donna Summer fan. IMHO. Alex was respectful by saying they would no longer throw up listening to Ms. Summer's music like they would have in their 20's, and praised all her songs arrangements and vocals, as well as her painting ability. Geddy said nothing about the woman at all. What's the problem?

And btw, Geddy did praise PE by saying, "You can groove to this."

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww195/IggyPoc/70pic18.jpg

• Like 1

I'm disappointed by the suckiness of this thread.

Except for my bit, which truly explains everything! :fury:

:yes: :LOL:

It's been a great while since we've had an Alex & Geddy are classless assholes thread. If fact, I don't think it's ever happened!! Neil, you're finally off the hook!! http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/prestonjjrtr/Congrats/congrats-5.gif

Long before I ever heard of Rush, I was a big fan of Donna Summer in the late 1970s and I still am. I also liked disco. Whether anybody likes it or not, disco was a very valid form of pop music. Of course, it did eventually go over the top, but it was fun music and people of all ages liked it whether they want to admit or not.

I still do not get how many bands get in the Rock & Roll hall and do not play rock music. Donna Summer was no rocker and therefore should have never been inducted. Disco was and still is trash. Sorry, but that's how it is.

Boo hoo. I fail to see how this is so very disrespectful. Just because someone dies doesn't mean you have to absolutely praise everything they did. I hear people talk bad about the Grateful Dead all the time. "Their music is so bad you gotta be high to enjoy it." Who cares? Just because Jerry Garcia is dead isn't going to make me all upset.

I am glad you mentioned the Grateful Dead.

My friend loves them, I cannot understand why?

I have even tried to like them with little success. There is a "Dead" radio station on satellite and I listened for a couple days straight. Trying to find this connection that does not exist for me.

He loves Bad Company and I can take or leave them. I like "Yes" better than BC.

He is Eric Clapton's biggest fan, but has no use for Rush.

Why the divide between rock music. I hate "Southern" rock. But love most anything British. Zeppelin come to mind.

Anyone have an analogy as to why this divide exists. Taste?

All this talk about Rush being "polite little Canadians" with the RRHOF lately.. Doesn't mean they need to loose their honesty and integrity!

Donna summer made shitty music. I'm sure she was a good person but its kinda silly to pretend you liked her music just because she's gone..

• Like 3

Long before I ever heard of Rush, I was a big fan of Donna Summer in the late 1970s and I still am. I also liked disco. Whether anybody likes it or not, disco was a very valid form of pop music. Of course, it did eventually go over the top, but it was fun music and people of all ages liked it whether they want to admit or not.

I still do not get how many bands get in the Rock & Roll hall and do not play rock music. Donna Summer was no rocker and therefore should have never been inducted. Disco was and still is trash. Sorry, but that's how it is.

Boo hoo. I fail to see how this is so very disrespectful. Just because someone dies doesn't mean you have to absolutely praise everything they did. I hear people talk bad about the Grateful Dead all the time. "Their music is so bad you gotta be high to enjoy it." Who cares? Just because Jerry Garcia is dead isn't going to make me all upset.

I am glad you mentioned the Grateful Dead.

My friend loves them, I cannot understand why?

I have even tried to like them with little success. There is a "Dead" radio station on satellite and I listened for a couple days straight. Trying to find this connection that does not exist for me.

He loves Bad Company and I can take or leave them. I like "Yes" better than BC.

He is Eric Clapton's biggest fan, but has no use for Rush.

Why the divide between rock music. I hate "Southern" rock. But love most anything British. Zeppelin come to mind.

Anyone have an analogy as to why this divide exists. Taste?

So your friend likes Bad company, Clapton and the Dead but you like Zeppelin, Yes and Rush.. Obviously you are more complex in your musical taste and demand a little more to keep your interest.. Your friend doesn't ask as much in his music.. Southern/British doesn't matter..

• Like 1

Just really inappropriate and makes them look like total assholes, which I fear a little mainstream attention has caused them to become.

This comment is FAR worse then anything they had to say. Totally unwarrented and angry.

Please, in detail, give us some clear, concise examples to back up your claim that mainstream attention has caused Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson to become "total assholes" (aside from their venemous attack on disco)

Edited by eshine
  • Like 2

I don't think it was that bad. They were just being honest. I don't think they meant any disrespect.

For what it's worth, I don't think Rush was putting down Donna Summer in particular. And I also believe that the RRHOF should be just rock, but I do think Donna Summer was great. Disco couldn't have sucked too bad since so many people were listening and dancing to it. It's better than the so called "music" that's being put out there today (it's truly embarrassing).

One of the things that disco did was get people out of the doldrums and the oppressiveness of the Vietnam War. Disco came around 1974. People were tired of being depressed all the time due to the many world issues of the time. The war is over now so let's do something that is more happy and enjoyable instead of sitting at home bitching about war.

Edited by circumstantial tree

The original poster still has not put a link to this which is dumb considering he used the info for a flame thread. For the record I like Donna Summer and don't care what anybody thinks about it. That being said I'm not going to lose sleep about someone's opinion regarding disco.

Back to Donna since she's been mentioned here quite a bit, she was actually a big rock fan and disliked the disco queen title.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Donna_Summer

After the release of the On the Radio hits album, Summer wanted to branch out into other musical styles in addition to disco, which led to tensions between her and Casablanca Records as Casablanca wanted her to continue to record in the disco format while Summer wanted to sing more rock and pop-based music. Sensing that they could no longer come to terms, Summer and the label parted ways in 1980 and she signed with Geffen Records, the new label started by David Geffen.

Summer's first Geffen album, The Wanderer, featured an eclectic mixture of sounds similar to Bad Girls but with little emphasis on Summer's past disco success, instead bringing elements ofrock, rockabilly, new wave and gospel music. The album continued Summer's streak of gold albums with the title track peaking at No. 3 in the U.S., though its follow-up singles, "Cold Love" and "Who Do You Think You're Foolin'," were only modestly received.

Edited by calirush

I LOVE Donna Summer.

She had a great voice and recorded some of the catchiest tunes I've ever heard.

Of course Geddy Lee of Rush isn't going to lavish praise on that period of music.

That said, the OP needs to answer for his blatent flamethrowing and namecalling - Ged and Alex are very humble and appreciative guys.

I take issue with them being called "assholes".

Speak for yourself, pratt53

• Like 1

Yeah. WTH Ged and Al!? I don't care if a certain genre ain't your thing but you have to show respect to talent. I for one loathe heavy metal and don't love to listen to it, but I'll respect any artist who has talent for the music they produce (or any artist no matter their venue).

the OP needs to answer for his blatent flamethrowing and namecalling - Ged and Alex are very humble and appreciative guys.

I take issue with them being called "assholes"

What do you recommend? Torches and pitchforks, or will a stern talking to do? :madra: :P

http://www.inquisition-art.net/images/kazn/Koster/burning-01.jpg

Edited by rushgoober
  • Like 1

the OP needs to answer for his blatent flamethrowing and namecalling - Ged and Alex are very humble and appreciative guys.

What do you recommend? Torches and pitchforks, or will a stern talking to do? :madra: :P

http://emilyherron.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/p8220995.jpg

• Like 1

For what it's worth, I don't think Rush was putting down Donna Summer in particular. And I also believe that the RRHOF should be just rock, but I do think Donna Summer was great. Disco couldn't have sucked too bad since so many people were listening and dancing to it. It's better than the so called "music" that's being put out there today (it's truly embarrassing).

One of the things that disco did was get people out of the doldrums and the oppressiveness of the Vietnam War. Disco came around 1974. People were tired of being depressed all the time due to the many world issues of the time. The war is over now so let's do something that is more happy and enjoyable instead of sitting at home bitching about war.

Disco for depression?? Seriously??? No wonder they started fighting again :P

Well, since I am old, bald and kinda chubby, automatically I know a lot of stuff. And, what I know about this thread is this -

Someone does a pretty good body slam on two of most our favourite musicians on the planet. (Everyone is entitled to their opinion.) But, right away, a PILE of people come on to stand up for "their boys."

Gotta love that shit!

By the way, I remember once back in high school, our metal shop teacher was talking about he'd love to "nail that little Donna Summer chick."

Ahhhhhhhhh... the 70s. They're gone, alas.