R40? Not looking so good according to this interview with Geddy

Jag2112

The March 2013 issue of Metal Hammer magazine (from the UK) includes a nice multi-page article/interview with Geddy Lee. The subject of a 40th Anniversary tour was brought up and Geddy has this to say:

It says much for Rush that as they approach the 40th anniversary of this lineup, they are once again seen as being at the cutting edge of music, and are influencing so many in the world of metal. "I don't think about things like the 40th anniversary. We have no plans to celebrate it. We did enough for the 30th. So, if anything is being planned, it will be without our involvement. We are still looking forward, not back."

Not exactly encouraging, is it...

You can check out the entire article at the following link:

http://cygnus-x1.net...mer-03.2013.php

Enjoy-

I would much rather that they started writing a new album than doing an R40 tour.

I'm surprised they're not thinking R40, but that's mostly because so many people assumed it would naturally be the case.

Of course, I too would MUCH rather have another new album than another tour supporting nothing, or yet another unnecessary 2nd leg. Their last 2 albums have been great, the most recent one especially. It would be amazing if they intended to build on that. I don't know if they have another one in them, but the fact that they aren't planning on another best of tour not in support of a new album is very encouraging.

Edited by rushgoober
  • Like 1

This doesn't suprise me. Sure it would be awesome to see an R40 tour, and it sure would make the 70's lovers happy cause they'd have to go way back. But we all know Rush loves to look forward and not really repeat itself. R40 would be a blatant repeat. Time Machine is about as close as it gets. I'd rather have the new album and the tour to support it over an R40.

May the :rush: be with you.

"Still looking forward", as Geddy said, I think is key- to me it means plainly that they're not thinking about hanging it up yet.

I would bet that they have another studio album or two in them, yet to come (with supporting tours, hopefully).

Not sure why some people want an R40 tour. Just did the TM Tour... then, CA Tour, which is still on-going. These guys need a break...

I'll gladly wait for as long as it takes to hear new Rush material sometime in the 2010s.

• Like 2

Of course the interview is in METAL Hammer! :haz: I don't even have to argue my case anymore, everyone knows RUSH are purely METAL! :blaze:

Not only is it METAL, but there is also a HAMMER involved.

:haz:

I always saw R30 as an homage to the "3" factor that has been a recurring theme element to the members of Rush.

Hence an R40 would not make any sense to me.

There was no R10 or R20.

New album, songs built on philosophy of natural occurrences and phenomena of the world around us.

• Like 1

I always saw R30 as an homage to the "3" factor that has been a recurring theme element to the members of Rush.

There was no R10 or R20.

New album, songs built on philosophy of natural occurrences and phenomena of the world around us.

I was just going to post the exact same thing.

I hope they take a little break and then start working on a new album ..

• Like 1

The reality is probably that Geddy understands with his declining voice that he can't sing a lot of the old songs anymore, which is why the latest tour is so 80's heavy. It may not truly be that they won't do R40 because they've done that concept before, but because they simply wouldn't be able to pull it off.

That statement means nothing. Why at this point in their careers would they make any commitment beyond the current tour? They have no idea how they will feel. I think they take it one year at a time now and if they feel like doing another tour, R40 or not, they will announce it at the right time.
  • Like 1

There was no R10 or R20.

That's an excellent observation, TS. I hadn't thought of that, but it does make perfect sense. :yes:

And, 10 really just is an arbitrary number, after all, based on the number of digits most of us possess and the natural numbering system it engenders. I'll be happy with any Rush tour or album and they can all either whatever they want. :D

• Like 2

There was no R10 or R20.

That's an excellent observation, TS. I hadn't thought of that, but it does make perfect sense. :yes:

And, 10 really just is an arbitrary number, after all, based on the number of digits most of us possess and the natural numbering system it engenders. I'll be happy with any Rush tour or album and they can all either whatever they want. :D

Yes, agreed... it's just a number, so what's the big deal with an R40 Tour? Just like New Year's (which I think is just an over-commercialized, over-priced, drunken farce) or my birthday (which I couldn't give a shit about either)... RD40 is just a date on the calendar or just another multiple of "10" on the whole scheme of things.

To the guys in the band, I'll bet it would be a good time to take break and have some time with their families.

• Like 1