Opeth - Why? WHY!?

Akron162

I just heard this song this morning:
- this is the video edit, so it´s kinda butchered...but tell me that the growling vocals do not fit in at 02:50, for example. I think it´s great, and one of their best songs IMO.

I'm heartbroken right now. What a way to ruin some awesome music. If it wasn't for those stupid vocals i would be getting all their albums now.

This sounds like it belongs on the Dream Theater thread. I like James' voice but it's the same argument a lot of people have with them too.

What are you talking about, LaBrie is awesome.

I'm heartbroken right now. What a way to ruin some awesome music. If it wasn't for those stupid vocals i would be getting all their albums now.

This sounds like it belongs on the Dream Theater thread. I like James' voice but it's the same argument a lot of people have with them too.

To your ears. I tried and tried and tried to like DT, but his voice just kills it for me. I gave up years ago.

I can understand that...I love DT, but some of James' vocals are cringeworthy, especially live.

Toronto '04 and Download Festival '09 are probably his two worst performances IMO...especially his performance on A Change of Seasons during the Toronto '04 show. He's been a hit or miss live for almost his entire career, but it wasn't until Mike Mangini's arrival though, where James has been pretty consistent live...at least that's how I feel based on the videos from the last tour.

Edited by PolarizeMe

Once in a Livetime is terrible as well. And yes, I think he's getting more consistent, it seems he's learned his limitations. For example, they don't play the mid section of Take the Time anymore, he can't handle it. And each Dt record has been composed on lower keys and octaves than their predecessors, since at least Six Degrees.

He sounds GREAT on Score though. Really, really good. If you notice the new preview for the live DVD coming out there's not a single shot / clip of James singing anywhere on it. I hope that's not a bad omen.

At least in the studio he still nails it.

SUNNNNN... COME SHINE MY WAAAAYYY...

MAKE HEALING WATERS BURY ALL MY PAINNNNN....

He kills it on Bridges in the Sky, one of DT's best songs period IMO.

Edited by Del_Duio
  • Like 1

Oh I think so too, it's just that his live voice doesn't consistently hold up too well. And in a band like that- where everybody's a friggin' master of their instruments, people notice and to some it detracts from DT as a whole.

Oh I think so too, it's just that his live voice doesn't consistently hold up too well. And in a band like that- where everybody's a friggin' master of their instruments, people notice and to some it detracts from DT as a whole.

You guys do know the origin of his voice problems, right? He had food poisoning and ruptured his vocal cords while vomiting. But check him out on DT´s Live in Tokyo, before it happened - he´s spot on and singing sky high!

You guys do know the origin of his voice problems, right? He had food poisoning and ruptured his vocal cords while vomiting. But check him out on DT´s Live in Tokyo, before it happened - he´s spot on and singing sky high!

Yeah, I do know the food poisoning story I guess it happened sometime after Awake was recorded (or was released). The problem with that story is- and I hate to say it- but he's gone on to sing just fine on live stuff like Metropolis 2000 and the aforementioned Score. So was it really due to the food poisoning or is it more due to JLB just getting older? Petrucci can always go buy another guitar if his breaks, but James only has his one voice.

Even our Geddy's age has taken a big toll on his voice :(

Ive never listened to Opeth, not once, not even by accident, not one song. But i was reading how they are one of the biggest exponents of the progressive metal in the last 20 years or so.

So i said, "meeeh, why not..." and looked for one of their cited songs: "Advent".

It started playing and as soon as the music started i said "this is not bad at all", it continued for a moment and i said "this is actually pretty good", it kept going and i said "wow, this is really awesome"... and then the f***ing vocals started... those stupid annoying growls and shrieks and all that bullshit that i hate so much in black and death metal. My heart plummeted to my feet.

i kept listening for a while, and the music just kept getting better and better, but those hideous growls just continued to get in the way. I had to stop it.

That's exactly how I feel about Opeth. I have two of their CDs. I think the song Deliverance is just incredible, except where Cookie Monster sings all over it. The music is just amazing though.

Ive never listened to Opeth, not once, not even by accident, not one song. But i was reading how they are one of the biggest exponents of the progressive metal in the last 20 years or so.

So i said, "meeeh, why not..." and looked for one of their cited songs: "Advent".

It started playing and as soon as the music started i said "this is not bad at all", it continued for a moment and i said "this is actually pretty good", it kept going and i said "wow, this is really awesome"... and then the f***ing vocals started... those stupid annoying growls and shrieks and all that bullshit that i hate so much in black and death metal. My heart plummeted to my feet.

i kept listening for a while, and the music just kept getting better and better, but those hideous growls just continued to get in the way. I had to stop it.

That's exactly how I feel about Opeth. I have two of their CDs. I think the song Deliverance is just incredible, except where Cookie Monster sings all over it. The music is just amazing though.

Do not deny the cookie monster!