During what tour do you think Rush had their best overall sound?

I've been listening to a lot of my boots and videos recently and this thought popped into my head - trying to compare how the band sounded live from tour to tour. I was taking into account - Geddy's voice, their playing and the overall mix of the set list. Really random categories, but that is what I was using.

I'd have to say that I think their best live sound was either the TfE Tour or Vapor Trails. I would say that the set lists probably were much better in 81 and prior as they were all our old favorites, and the band's playing was outstanding, although raw at times, but Geddy's voice was too out of pitch.

His voice really matured post Signals, I think, and their playing was great. Although I love the set lists on those 80's and early 90's tours, I had others I liked more.

I really think their playing was at an all time best around that time, Geddy's voice was solid and the overall mix of both of the set lists left little to complain about.

Just a thought to throw out there on a Monday...

I would say for overall sound / Mix/ playing/ Geddy's Voice Etc. it would be a Show of Hands. The sound on that tour is simply unmatched. Now that said, that isn't my favorite tour or setlist for that matter. The Time Machine Tour holds that distinction!

:codger:

Edited by losingit2k

Good question. I think the band peaked live from 1984 - 1988. They had a second peak in 1994 and regretfully it has been downword with Geddy's voice since.

I've been listening to a lot of my boots and videos recently and this thought popped into my head - trying to compare how the band sounded live from tour to tour. I was taking into account - Geddy's voice, their playing and the overall mix of the set list. Really random categories, but that is what I was using.

I'd have to say that I think their best live sound was either the TfE Tour or Vapor Trails. I would say that the set lists probably were much better in 81 and prior as they were all our old favorites, and the band's playing was outstanding, although raw at times, but Geddy's voice was too out of pitch.

His voice really matured post Signals, I think, and their playing was great. Although I love the set lists on those 80's and early 90's tours, I had others I liked more.

I really think their playing was at an all time best around that time, Geddy's voice was solid and the overall mix of both of the set lists left little to complain about.

Just a thought to throw out there on a Monday...

For me, it`s hard to beat the Permanent Waves tour. Loved the songs, they band played great, Geddy`s voice was near perfect... and, I really liked the drum sound on that tour. The drums sounded the way a rock drummer`s kit should sound. Plus, ALL of Neil`s percussion sounds were accoustic instruments, no electronics, no drum pads, no triggers, no midi, just the real deal.

Hit something with a stick or mallet - it sounds real.

• Like 1

By far for me their best sonic output live was the 80-81 period of Wavs and Pictures. They hit their peak musically as well as their live chops. Everything was organic, and precision was truly the mantra each show.

Although Geddy was out of pitch some nights (back then no in-ear monitors), Neils drums were amazing, geddy's bass sound was thick and meaty and Alex was truly a technical genius for his time.

I have enjoyed every tour to be frank, but the mid 80's felt uneven to me. They were finding their way with all the new technology, and Geddy was buried behind the keys and mini moogs and triggers. Plus I felt they played too fast sometimes during the mid 80's.

Counterparts and T4E were amazing sonically. A return to Marshalls for Alex (I do like his H&K too now) and a meaty sound every since.

Snakes and Arrows was the best I had ever heard the band live. Both legs were amazing, geddy was the best I had ever heard him sing live, and the set list on leg one was so awesome.

Last year CA blew me away. And I have a feeling this year we will get another amazing sonic feast.

Got my tickets yesterday!!!! April come on down!!!!

• Like 1

Nothing will beat the '80 through '83 sound, drums, guitar, Geddy's Rick and analog Synths and Taurus. Like others have said, Neils drum sound was spot on (although his drum sound was the most consistant from 1980 though 1994 with the Tama's and Ludwigs) The DW's have killed that classic RUSH drum sound. Edited by ClassicB
  • Like 3

Wow, really tough pick as I love all the live albums. Even though Geddy's voice was still awesome on Show of hands Alex's guitar sound ruins that period for me. He got way into the flanger sound of the times and it is just too raw and over polished. Too bad because I thought the suits period was cool. By TFE the raw heavy guitar sound is back.

Anyways I think the peak must have been power windows tour. Musical peak and I freaking love exit stage left even though the video quality blows compared to others.

I vote for the early 80s as well. I think the sound on the St. Louis bootleg is incredible, for one.

I tend to think that music in that era just sounded better, period. There's no compression. There's headroom on everything. There's no virtual instruments; they're all the real thing. And all this at the very end of the analog era.

As someone else said - this was before the Simmons drums. Geddy was using his Oberheims, which are my favorite synths of all time. Live he was alternating between his Jazz and his Rickenbacker, Alex was using his big old Gibsons with the simple choruses. It was the right combination of polish without being over-polished.

I also think that the sound changed for the worst when Neil retired the old No. 1 Slingerland and went to the DWs. I've just never been terribly fond of DWs in general.

Edited by analog guy
  • Like 1

I wasn't alive at the time, but I'd say Rush sounded best in the mid-80s. Geddy's voice was good, and I love Alex's guitar sound during the time. As I am a keyboardist myself (don't laugh, I can probably play "Marathon" better than you ever could), I love the sound of the era. Neil's drums were pretty good, but the electronic stuff really only worked with "Red Sector A" and "Mystic Rhythms." The only thing I would change is the setlist on A Show of Hands. Other than that, mid-80s rocked!

Nothing will beat the '80 through '83 sound, drums, guitar, Geddy's Rick and analog Synths and Taurus. Like others have said, Neils drum sound was spot on (although his drum sound was the most consistant from 1980 though 1994 with the Tama's and Ludwigs) The DW's have killed that classic RUSH drum sound.

Yes, all VERY good points here. Drummer here too...

A while ago I started a thread about Neil's DW drum sound as compared to the earlier recording where he was playing Slingerland, Tama and Ludwig. I don't know if it's just the drums, or the way they're mic'd, mixed, produced or whatever, but, I really don't like the DW sound at all. (The snare drum sounds good though... a nice, clear, tight sounding "crack!") His 8 and 10 inch toms sound like extra large tomato soup cans... maybe because they have bottom heads as opposed to the concert toms of earlier days where the bottom of the concert toms did not? Just a guess.

Would love to see Neil playing Tama or even Slingerland again. Do they even make Slingerland drums these days? I never hear about them...

The GUP tour video sounds incredible. Geddy's voice is strong, and all the instruments are clear. Everything isn't garbled or muddy. That's my pick.

I saw them at Radio City on the R30 and the sound was flawless. That theater is just impeccable sonically and I wish they would play there more. That was 9 years ago!? Yikes.

Best i remember was signals.

I vividly remember posting with some friends outside the ahoy rotterdam venue hoping to catch a glimpse of just anything. When they soundchecked digital man the solo sounded just so incredible. I'll never forget that. :drool: