Neil has a heart of gold!

nhlrush

For all those who believe there's something wrong with Neil because he doesn't do meet & greets, doesn't like the hero worship from lunatics, etc. take a look at the current news, weather & sports that he posted....

He not only shares a lot about his relationship with his daughter which I thought was really touching on several levels but he shows a picture of him wearing a ski hat....His commentary....

My ski hat this winter, knitted and given to me

by a fan on our Clockwork Angels tour.

Now that’s cool.

And warm!

Perhaps I am over reactiing, but the fact that is actually wearing something created and given to him by a fan says a lot that Neil does indeed care about Rush fans, he just is too shy and uncomfortable to accept all the praise in front of all of us...

After reading his caption to the photo, I came away with a new respect for Neil the person, not the drummer of Rush...

• Like 8

He's actually the most open member of the band. Some fans don't have a sense of personal space or decorum, and that's why he's touchy about it. If you've read his work, he makes many mentions of pleasant encounters with fans. If you act like an idiot, then you'll feel like one later. Edited by upstateNYfan
  • Like 2

Because I share much of Neil's personality (though not his more recent views) I completely understand where he is coming from. And although I don't share this with many fans, I can see why people want to connect with him personally.

But he really owes us nothing, not even being one of the greatest drummers and lyricists in the world, and a member of the greatest band. Though in return, we owe him nothing.

• Like 1

I thought this was going to be about Neil Young....

:huh:

WHO in the HELL is Neil Young?

I must be getting old.

One of the most versatile artists in rock and roll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh44QPT1mPE

Edited by laughedatbytime

I must be getting old.

Well, I was just making a stupid joke. That song came to my mind when I saw the title.

And I thought your response was a joke too, since it sort of quotes the same song:

"It keeps me seaching for a heart of gold,

And I'm getting old..."

Do you really not know who Neil Young is?

Anyway, sorry for derailing your thread.

I must be getting old.

Well, I was just making a stupid joke. That song came to my mind when I saw the title.

And I thought your response was a joke too, since it sort of quotes the same song:

"It keeps me seaching for a heart of gold,

And I'm getting old..."

Do you really not know who Neil Young is?

Anyway, sorry for derailing your thread.

It wasn't stupid at all. It was quite properly delivered.

Good reading, as always, and with a sweet ending. Thanks.

I must be getting old.

From Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young.

• Like 1

One of the things that sucks about writing words on a computer is that no one knows how you intended something unless you use the silly "LOL"

Yes, I was just kidding around, I know who CANADIAN Neil Young is.....

Buffalo Springfield (For What its Worth, Mr. Soul - RUSH FEEDBACK)

CSN&Y

I actually didn't think of him when I wrote the title, "Neil has a heart of Gold," but once it was referenced I thought I had to play along and yes, I was referencing Neil Young when I said, "I must be getting old."

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming....

He can do what he wants but I find it amusing that he acts like something is wrong with fans that approach him rather than just realizing that everyone is different and some people want to approach their "idols" and some don't.
  • Like 1

BTW, my advice to Neil for future touring....

Get off the bike, use a luxury PROVOST tour bus and bring Carrie and Olivia along, she's young enough not to be in school just yet and could come along on future tours during the summer months....

that way, he spends more time with his family and Olivia experiences new places and new experiences, seems like everyone would be happy...

After all these years of touring by motorcycle I often wonder if he's already biked on just about every back road the USA has to offer....just a thought, not gonna happen...

• Like 3

One of the things that sucks about writing words on a computer is that no one knows how you intended something unless you use the silly "LOL"

Yes, I was just kidding around, I know who CANADIAN Neil Young is.....

Buffalo Springfield (For What its Worth, Mr. Soul - RUSH FEEDBACK)

CSN&Y

I actually didn't think of him when I wrote the title, "Neil has a heart of Gold," but once it was referenced I thought I had to play along and yes, I was referencing Neil Young when I said, "I must be getting old."

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming....

Excellent.

:LOL:

I really enjoyed reading about Neil's latest adventures. Can't say that about all his travel writings. I loved his story about his daughter and how he is enjoying his fan-knitted winter hat! Sometimes you never know if your favorite artist received your gift or if they even liked it and here he is wearing it and writing about it! Neil is very much a stand-up guy.

I really enjoyed reading about Neil's latest adventures. Can't say that about all his travel writings. I loved his story about his daughter and how he is enjoying his fan-knitted winter hat! Sometimes you never know if your favorite artist received your gift or if they even liked it and here he is wearing it and writing about it! Neil is very much a stand-up guy.

yeah....and he's a really nazzy drummer to boot!

yeah....and he's a really nazzy drummer to boot!

Oh. Is he known for that?

Get off the bike, use a luxury PROVOST tour bus and bring Carrie and Olivia along, she's young enough not to be in school just yet and could come along on future tours during the summer months....

that way, he spends more time with his family and Olivia experiences new places and new experiences, seems like everyone would be happy...

After all these years of touring by motorcycle I often wonder if he's already biked on just about every back road the USA has to offer....just a thought, not gonna happen...

I agree with you, but it ain't gonna happen. The guy likes his alone time too much, hence his spending two weeks all by his lonesome in frigid Quebec on the heels of one tour and only a couple of months before another.

When I was 15 I got to meet one of my (other) favourite bands, Cheap Trick. I was told beforehand by a number of friends that their drummer, Bun E. Carlos, was "like neil Peart"- he was iffy when it came to meeting fans, and I would be lucky to get more than a "hello".

Well, not only did he sign all the autographs I wanted (only asked for one but he offered more), took pictures with me but he also hugged the ever loving hell out of me. He laughed and said fans compare him with Peart because he can be weird around fans, not that he doesn't love them, he's just weird about it.

I do not blame musicians who are iffy about meeting fans. some fans can be a little "out there". I'm not gonna lie, when I met Cheap Trick I ducked into a bathroom real quick to get the tears out. But I was not like "OMG I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU!!!"- some people can be.

Nothing wrong with Neil being weird about meet n greets. he still appreciates his fans and I totally understand his apprehension.

OMG, this is too exciting, I won't be able to sleep tonight. That is the hat I knit!!! I knitted 2 other items as well, 2 scarves, and presumably (hopefully) Alex and Geddy have those. One is a Body Electric/binary scarf and the other has a steampunk/mad scientist theme. Am thrilled to get this public acknowledgement from Neil, he is too awesome for words.
  • Like 8

Now that post takes some balls, but I tend to agree that assuming the little one can tolerate being inside a bus for long enough stretches of time (much easier than a van or car). It makes sense, although his wife would also have to be agreeable and able to do it. And call Neil paranoid, but after what happened to Dimebag Darrell, I afford him every right to be a bit rattled by the more rabid fans, and protective of his family.

Edited by HalfwayToGone

For all those who believe there's something wrong with Neil because he doesn't do meet & greets, doesn't like the hero worship from lunatics, etc. take a look at the current news, weather & sports that he posted....

He not only shares a lot about his relationship with his daughter which I thought was really touching on several levels but he shows a picture of him wearing a ski hat....His commentary....

My ski hat this winter, knitted and given to me

by a fan on our Clockwork Angels tour.

Now that’s cool.

And warm!

Perhaps I am over reactiing, but the fact that is actually wearing something created and given to him by a fan says a lot that Neil does indeed care about Rush fans, he just is too shy and uncomfortable to accept all the praise in front of all of us...

After reading his caption to the photo, I came away with a new respect for Neil the person, not the drummer of Rush...

That's because Neil is awesome. I don't know how so many people either hate him or give him shit about his wanting to stay away from rabid stalkers and psychos. Leave the man be!

• Like 1