Ready Player One - Ernest Cline

barney_rebel

Finished it last night and it was even better than I expected.

Can't wait for the movie

I'll settle for Ender's Game until then!

Still need to read that one

I reread it a couple of years ago and it's still awesome. Read the book before you see the movie. The movie will ruin the book for you. And avoid spoilers at all costs.

Finally read it a couple months and just saw the movie last week. Both great, but book way better.

I'll continue on to the other books in the series some time next year.

Can't wait for the movie

I reread it a couple of years ago and it's still awesome. Read the book before you see the movie. The movie will ruin the book for you. And avoid spoilers at all costs.

Finally read it a couple months and just saw the movie last week. Both great, but book way better.

I like the movie, but we didn't really get the sense that Ender was isolated and people were really against him (they said he was isolated, but he seemed to get his close friends immediately) nor did we really see why he was such a good leader. I understand the constraints of a movie, but I wanted a bit more.

So you know, the other books have a quick drop off in quality. They present interesting moral situations and questions, but the story telling is never nearly as gripping or enthralling as in the first book.

I got it as a Christmas present from someone who saw my classic video game room with the walls adorned with Rush posters.

I'm curious. What sorts of games/systems do you have in there?

Atari 2600, 7200, Lynx

Intellivision

Nintendo NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, Gameboy, Gameboy Advance SP, DSi, 3DS (Zelda 3DS xl coming next week)

Sega SMS (including 3D glasses and all 3d games), Genesis, Sega CD, 32x, Saturn, DreamCast, Gamegear

Turbografx 16, TG Turboduo, TurboExpress

PS 2, PS3 (with PS1 game library), PSP, (PS4 coming Friday)

Xbox, 360, (Xbox 1 coming a week from Friday)

I also have 3rd party portable NES and SNES systems (handhelds that play the console games). The Sega Nomad is on my list, but I want one with a new screen.

I am on the fence about getting an Odyssey 2 with about 40 games...I may move to China next year and most of my collection will go into storage.

All the conosles are hooked up to a TV and displayed: I have a tube TV with all the classic consoles hooked up to it (I have two open book cases and one display case for older games and boxes) and a plasma for the HD consoles and the Wii.

Edited by LedRush
  • Like 1

I got it as a Christmas present from someone who saw my classic video game room with the walls adorned with Rush posters.

Atari 2600, 7200, Lynx

Intellivision

Nintendo NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, Gameboy, Gameboy Advance SP, DSi, 3DS (Zelda 3DS xl coming next week)

Sega SMS (including 3D glasses and all 3d games), Genesis, Sega CD, 32x, Saturn, DreamCast, Gamegear

I also have 3rd party portable NES and SNES systems (handhelds that play the console games). The Sega Nomad is on my list, but I want one with a new screen.

I am on the fence about getting an Odyssey 2 with about 40 games...I may move to China next year and most of my collection will go into storage.

All the conosles are hooked up to a TV and displayed: I have a tube TV with all the classic consoles hooked up to it (I have two open book cases and one display case for older games and boxes) and a plasma for the HD consoles and the Wii.

That's a great collection. You've even got the assorted Turbo systems. Right on.

The last console I bought was a PS2 (which was great), but I was into gaming my whole life up until the PS3/360 generation and especially loved the 16-bit stuff.

Atari 2600, 7200, Lynx

Intellivision

That's a great collection. You've even got the assorted Turbo systems. Right on.

The last console I bought was a PS2 (which was great), but I was into gaming my whole life up until the PS3/360 generation and especially loved the 16-bit stuff.

I'm definitely partial to the NES plus 16 bit consoles. I remember when a friend first showed me the TurboExpress in 1990...my mind was absolutely blown. I was a lower-middle class kid at a boarding school with lots of rich kids, and I just thought that this was some strange thing that the super wealthy could do that mere mortals weren't allowed to even know about. He ended up trading the system to me for me writing two papers for him, and I've cherished the console ever since. I could never buy games where I lived, but I had Neutopia, Splatterhouse, Victory Run, R-type, Legendary Axe, and a few other shooters, and I loved the heck out of that thing for a couple of years (no TVs aloud at boarding school, so this thing was my only gaming for most of the year).

I don't actually game that much any more (though in the last two weeks I'm made an effort on Bioshock 3 (great ending to the story) and Uncharted 3 (so far very disappointing). I've resigned myself to knowing that I am more of a collector now than a gamer.

Why did you stop gaming?

Edited by LedRush

Can't wait for the movie

I like the movie, but we didn't really get the sense that Ender was isolated and people were really against him (they said he was isolated, but he seemed to get his close friends immediately) nor did we really see why he was such a good leader. I understand the constraints of a movie, but I wanted a bit more.

So you know, the other books have a quick drop off in quality. They present interesting moral situations and questions, but the story telling is never nearly as gripping or enthralling as in the first book.

** ENDER SPOILERS

I found they didn't build up Ender's character very nicely. My favorite part of the book were the Battle Room simulations, and how he used tactics to win each one. With all those victories, he earned his position. In the movie, they showed one battle... the final battle. They should have at least showed highlights of all his battles and then the results. This way, it doesn't appear like his promotion was undeserving. Mind you, they did an awesome job on the final battle.

I wasn't a fan of the romance between him and Petra. I understand they need to appeal to that crowd though.

His brother, Peter was just portrayed as this psycho. He was much more than that in the book.

Overall, it was pretty good. I feel sorry for anyone who didn't read the book first though. I'm glad I took your advice on that.

• Like 1

Atari 2600, 7200, Lynx

Intellivision

I'm definitely partial to the NES plus 16 bit consoles. I remember when a friend first showed me the TurboExpress in 1990...my mind was absolutely blown. I was a lower-middle class kid at a boarding school with lots of rich kids, and I just thought that this was some strange thing that the super wealthy could do that mere mortals weren't allowed to even know about. He ended up trading the system to me for me writing two papers for him, and I've cherished the console ever since. I could never buy games where I lived, but I had Neutopia, Splatterhouse, Victory Run, R-type, Legendary Axe, and a few other shooters, and I loved the heck out of that thing for a couple of years (no TVs aloud at boarding school, so this thing was my only gaming for most of the year).

I don't actually game that much any more (though in the last two weeks I'm made an effort on Bioshock 3 (great ending to the story) and Uncharted 3 (so far very disappointing). I've resigned myself to knowing that I am more of a collector now than a gamer.

Why did you stop gaming?

Papers for an Express was a great deal for you. :) When I was growing up, there was this store pretty close to where I lived that sold Turbo games for super cheap. My collection grew really quickly and I became quite fond of the system. The Legendary Axe is still one of my favorite games.

When I play games these days, it's usually Turbo or Genesis stuff. Very few titles during the PS3 generation interested me, and I was kinda put off by the 360's red rings issue. Bayonetta is one of the few games that I regret missing out on.

Can't wait for the movie

** ENDER SPOILERS

I found they didn't build up Ender's character very nicely. My favorite part of the book were the Battle Room simulations, and how he used tactics to win each one. With all those victories, he earned his position. In the movie, they showed one battle... the final battle. They should have at least showed highlights of all his battles and then the results. This way, it doesn't appear like his promotion was undeserving. Mind you, they did an awesome job on the final battle.

I wasn't a fan of the romance between him and Petra. I understand they need to appeal to that crowd though.

His brother, Peter was just portrayed as this psycho. He was much more than that in the book.

Overall, it was pretty good. I feel sorry for anyone who didn't read the book first though. I'm glad I took your advice on that.

I agree completely. How about an 80s montage of battles? Or a scene where they practice and you see that Ender likes and rewards good suggestions that make the strategies better.

I understand why Peter and Valentine were largely cut from the book, but it was still disappointing.

Atari 2600, 7200, Lynx

Intellivision

Why did you stop gaming?

Papers for an Express was a great deal for you. :) When I was growing up, there was this store pretty close to where I lived that sold Turbo games for super cheap. My collection grew really quickly and I became quite fond of the system. The Legendary Axe is still one of my favorite games.

When I play games these days, it's usually Turbo or Genesis stuff. Very few titles during the PS3 generation interested me, and I was kinda put off by the 360's red rings issue. Bayonetta is one of the few games that I regret missing out on.

Yeah, if you don't like shooters, sports or racing, the 360 doesn't have much for you. But the red rings weren't an issue with the xbox 360 slim. It probably got the most play of any console last generation for me (largely because of guitar hero and rock band). My Wii was used a ton as well, but the PS3 was basically just a blu-ray player for me.

I'm jealous that you were in the know about TG-16. I really didn't know anything about it other than I had this amazing machine and 8-10 games for it. I never found nor got another game until a few years ago.

Can't wait for the movie

** ENDER SPOILERS

I agree completely. How about an 80s montage of battles? Or a scene where they practice and you see that Ender likes and rewards good suggestions that make the strategies better.

I understand why Peter and Valentine were largely cut from the book, but it was still disappointing.

Since I never read any of the later books, it seems like Peter and Valentine were going to be a big part of the later stories. I am not sure if that's the case, but that's the impression I got. If that's the case, then they really shot themselves in the foot for a sequel.

The shower fight with Bonzo was kind of lame too. The dialogue was very much like the book, but the actual fight made it appear that Ender didn't have the killer extinct. They then took that point on and used that for his doubts. Come on... Bonzo was an asshole and he deserved everything he got.

I finished the book. I very much enjoyed it. Some parts felt like the author was trying to push more references in there than he should have but overall it was a very fun read.

I don't know how they're going to make a movie. There's way too much to license and if they cut back on too much then the whole thing loses its charm.

I read this book about 2 years ago. Needless to say, I loved it- I was blown away when I realized that Rush receieved what was essentially a chapter-long love letter.
  • Like 1