Families at the show?

Have you ever seen a family of four+ at the show?

I took my family of five, wifey and son (11) and two daughters 7 and 5 last year to the VA show outdoors.

A great time was had by all except the girls got a little sleepy after bedtime.

My son prefers the newer Rush songs as well, particularly CA.

Edited by Wingmaster

Aghhhhh I so wish I could take my daughter Lucy. she will be 3 in July, though, and it would be unfair for me to expect her to be OK spending an entire day at summerfest AND a 3 hour concert.

Don't get me wrong- she actually knows the words to a few RUSH songs and J-A-M-S to them. she even has a RUSH shirt! lol but she's still a little too young for a music festival. my husband and I want to take her but no.

please don't ever think about taking your three year old to a concert like this....

btw, my kids hate rush with a passion, i mean hate them....they get upset if they are on my tv in any shape or form, and you know what? I am totally fine with that....i don't need my kids to like rush, maybe its selfish, but i am good going to the shows without the rest of the family...

I agree, three is too young, but 5+ is fine. We brought those headphone hearing protection for them tho.

My kids all love Rush. You should get yours to a shrink.

: D

Lots of families these days, just be prepared to explain the funky smell in the air and the typical loser drunk guys who aren't really rush fans who got free tickets close to the stage and are constantly going back and forth for more beer and then returning and spending the whole time talking loud and yucking it up with themselves....

personally I'd rather have the funky smell than the loud drunken aholes who ruin a show.....there's nothing like a beautiful quiet moment during the garden being destroyed by loud obnoxious people who don't care about what's going on up on stage...

These days, in most arenas, there is no "funky smell" as you'll get booted for lighting up even a cigarette. ... unless it's outdoors, even then I'm not sure the laws anymore in this police state.

Edited by Wingmaster

How do they afford it??? Especially the families in the front?

We "splurged" just for seat seats vice lawn seats. I drove to the box office to save like $40 in fees, still, it was like just over $400 for all five of us. Obviously we can't do that often. For some people $500 for a single seat is nothing, for us it's notable.

I'm going to try to get us all to be able to go see them again at Hershey, but not sure about that either. Don't have the scratch now, so we'll have to wait and see. We may just hit the park for the day and see what comes up at gametime at the box office.

Edited by Wingmaster

Kids at concerts annoy me. Don't bring them and then expect me to sit or move out of the way so they can see. That's your problem, not mine.

BTW, I've had this happen more than once.

People that stand in the good seats area and not up front for the entire concert annoy me.

I pay for a seat and have bad knees so that I can sit and enjoy the show. At the VA show there were three drunk people in front of us in the 300s that would constantly stand up and change seats so that we couldn't permanently position the family to achieve maximum visibility. We politelly asked them if they wanted to swap seats w/ us one row back and they were rude about it.

It wasn't even the front row. If people want to stand for more than the first bunch of songs or whatever, then get floor "seats" where you have to stand anyway.

Like Europe, they outta have standing sections.

Since the Time Machine Tour I've been packing my Family of Four into the car for every RUSH show. We even changed our vacation and saw them in Las Vegas last year. However that said, Yes it gets expensive. 500+ for tickets is pretty harsh, and it does effect how many shows you see that tour. Regardless, RUSH is a must see in this household and we'll be attending as a pack as long as its financially acceptable. This 2nd leg of the tour was the most we have ever spent on a single concert. Which will keep us from seeing them twice. Unless we decide to alter our vacation again and see them on July 4th at Summerfest!

As for the few drunks and paraphanelia at RUSH shows. There's nothing better to keep your kids free from that sort of activity than actually showing them what it does to others.

:rush: :haz: :rush:

Amen dude...I hope that they stick around long enough for my oldest to see them...he's just 7. I've taken him to NASCAR races but they noise was too much for him even though I did everything possible to make it bearable for him. He really likes "Caravan" and HF...he's gonna be a drummer...it's in his bones

NASCAR's louder than a Rush show?

• Like 1

Lots of families these days, just be prepared to explain the funky smell in the air

Geez. With the no smoking bans, how does anyone inside an arena get away with smoking pot? I am talking about today, not the 70's and 80's where we all were smoking plenty.

The show here was inside and I saw no one smoking anything, nor did I smell any weed. If they did, they hid it real well. The security would come down on any smoke or appearance of smoke.

I was sitting with my wife (also a big fan) and my adult daughter.

There was a guy there with his son, sitting next to us. He looked to be about 10 years old. I saw other kids there to.

I can tell you I would not take a chance. Get thrown out? No way. Toke before you go inside.

Edited by John V

Since the Time Machine Tour I've been packing my Family of Four into the car for every RUSH show. We even changed our vacation and saw them in Las Vegas last year. However that said, Yes it gets expensive. 500+ for tickets is pretty harsh, and it does effect how many shows you see that tour. Regardless, RUSH is a must see in this household and we'll be attending as a pack as long as its financially acceptable. This 2nd leg of the tour was the most we have ever spent on a single concert. Which will keep us from seeing them twice. Unless we decide to alter our vacation again and see them on July 4th at Summerfest!

As for the few drunks and paraphanelia at RUSH shows. There's nothing better to keep your kids free from that sort of activity than actually showing them what it does to others.

:rush: :haz: :rush:

Amen dude...I hope that they stick around long enough for my oldest to see them...he's just 7. I've taken him to NASCAR races but they noise was too much for him even though I did everything possible to make it bearable for him. He really likes "Caravan" and HF...he's gonna be a drummer...it's in his bones

The way I see it, You have only 3 years to go, I took my boy when he was 10 as did my Daughter. Both huge RUSH fans now.

:codger:

Kids at concerts annoy me. Don't bring them and then expect me to sit or move out of the way so they can see. That's your problem, not mine.

Oh no, I agree, Bring them at your own inconvenience. My kids don't annoy anyone at shows. Actually, its the contrary, many fans come up to me and tell me how great my kids are at the shows. They know every song and now they have begun to air drum to parts. To see, they always stand on the seat behind me and use my sholders as a brace. One of my best memories as a dad was watching RUSH last year with one kid drapped over each sholders. It was a perfect moments!

:moose:

Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 1

We politelly asked them if they wanted to swap seats w/ us one row back and they were rude about it.

That's exactly my point. it doesn't matter how politely you asked, or how rude you thought they were. You are asking someone else, who is trying to have a good time, to adjust their concert experience for your kids.

Just as i won't sit for someone asking me to when I'm in a floor seat, I refuse to compromise my situation for your bad decision.

I was 12 when I saw them my first time (NYC 2011) and had no problems, but I'm a diehard. Don't bring your kids if they don't truly appreciate it and you know they won't enjoy it. There was a kid in front of us at the Newark show last fall who was covering his ears the whole time, and I couldn't help but think that his dad was an idiot for spending $150 on a seat for the poor kid.

I once saw a family with two small kids. I was amazed that the kids could fall asleep during the show with the noise and all. I guess it gets kind of annoying when there's a small child on the dads shoulders blocking my view, but I don't mind when older kids go to the concerts. I actually think it's pretty cool when older kids go to the concerts. I'm glad they like good music.

Lots of families these days, just be prepared to explain the funky smell in the air and the typical loser drunk guys who aren't really rush fans who got free tickets close to the stage and are constantly going back and forth for more beer and then returning and spending the whole time talking loud and yucking it up with themselves....

personally I'd rather have the funky smell than the loud drunken aholes who ruin a show.....there's nothing like a beautiful quiet moment during the garden being destroyed by loud obnoxious people who don't care about what's going on up on stage...

Welcome to the way most Concerts have been since the dawn of time. Get over it

Aghhhhh I so wish I could take my daughter Lucy. she will be 3 in July, though, and it would be unfair for me to expect her to be OK spending an entire day at summerfest AND a 3 hour concert.

Don't get me wrong- she actually knows the words to a few RUSH songs and J-A-M-S to them. she even has a RUSH shirt! lol but she's still a little too young for a music festival. my husband and I want to take her but no.

please don't ever think about taking your three year old to a concert like this....

first off, no matter how much you protect her ears, its gonna be loud....plus, no matter how much she likes rush, she is three and the thrill of seeing a live show will be gone within a half hour at most.....

i would expect that you would regret this....plus, what time does she go to bed? the concert will be over way past whatever time she normally goes to bed and she will be so tired and cranky, i can't imagine...

i took my five year old daughter and four year old son to disney world, now that's disney, aimed at kids, not a rush show, and even in disney, when it became nighttime they just become very difficult to deal with, its just too much for them, even if they love disney...

i think you are making the prudent choice not taking her....

btw, my kids hate rush with a passion, i mean hate them....they get upset if they are on my tv in any shape or form, and you know what? I am totally fine with that....i don't need my kids to like rush, maybe its selfish, but i am good going to the shows without the rest of the family....

they will be going to disney on ice instead....

OH yeah, it never crossed our minds to take her. that would be an awful decision- she just is not ready, period.

we're thinking of taking her to a cheap trick show this year, BUT: it's at a county fair with tons of stuff for small kids, she likes music and their concerts are only an hour and 20 minutes.

Rush? she's just not ready.

my daughter barely sleeps. she can run on empty, lemme tell you. bah. lol.

its just not realistic to expect her to be ok at the festival all day AND a 3 hour show that night. and no i dont force bands on my kid, she just has always loved Rush ;)

omg this reminds me- i was at a cheap trick show at a venue that had a pavilion, then lawn seating behind it. i had pavilion seats and people behind us, in the lawn area, were SCREAMING: "SIT DOWN!! WE CAN'T SEE, DON'T BE RUDE! ASSHOLES, MY KIDS CANNOT SEE!!!"

I paid for my pavilion seats. you are on the lawn. not my problem.

EVERYONE kept standing and quite a few people started flipping off the lawn folk lol.

omg this reminds me- i was at a cheap trick show at a venue that had a pavilion, then lawn seating behind it. i had pavilion seats and people behind us, in the lawn area, were SCREAMING: "SIT DOWN!! WE CAN'T SEE, DON'T BE RUDE! ASSHOLES, MY KIDS CANNOT SEE!!!"

I paid for my pavilion seats. you are on the lawn. not my problem.

EVERYONE kept standing and quite a few people started flipping off the lawn folk lol.

I know it all depends on where you are. At Alpine Valley - there is so much lawn that you can't see the stage even if everyone is siting down. At Marcus, you can pretty much see the stage from anywhere on the lawn if you are standing. I saw lots of concerts there for free back when grass seats were free with a paid Summerfest ticket.... which I often got for free from my dad or thru their daily promotions.

It saddens me to know that, most likely, by the time MY son is old enough to go to concerts (he's 2 1/2 now), Rush will no longer be touring :(

I'll probably still be able to take him to see Dream Theater or something, at least... :yes:

Edited by ALifeson85
  • Like 1