Are the hopes for an R40 tour doomed?

nhlrush

No I think they might do a small tour just in North America and in 2018 a R50 will happen 2018-1968=50 years of RUSH.

Edited by Imusic2012

I don't think it would be a big deal if they got a singer for the R40 and/or subsequent tours, and I don't think there would be any embarrassment in it, either.

You are just kidding right?

One can never say NEVER in life,

"anything can happen"

but I say,

NEVER....

besides the current eight-piece ensemble and the idea of one day Ben Mink comes on stage to assist with "Losing It,"

I can't imagine any scenario where Rush isn't simply Rush...

The day Geddy can no longer voally perform, Rush is done...same goes for Neil's drumming...

I don't think it would be a big deal if they got a singer for the R40 and/or subsequent tours, and I don't think there would be any embarrassment in it, either.

But But But.....Neil is the new guy.

I couldn't imagine an R40 Tour. They've been on the road for nearly twelve years, nearly nonstop. I think people are too hung up on the number "40" and the nostalgia of another "remember back when" type of show. It's just a date...

If they were to tour in 2014, they'd have just a few months off after the end of the CA tour ... then, they'd be into planning, rehearsals,,, etc. It's not just the time on the road, but all the preparation that requires a lot of work and - time. Time away from their families and whatever elements of "normal" life these guys have.

No way for R40. I don't want to see it...

I've already spoken to Ray Danniels on the phone and told him to forget about it.

Another thing that some may forget is that Rush has gone through three tours in five years which takes a toll on anybody, especially these guys at sixty years old. If they don't tour for a couple of years that's ok with me I'll just enjoy them more when they do come.
  • Like 2

My thought is that Alex, Geddy, and Neil are too good of people to leave their loyal fans hanging on their 40th birthday. I could NEVER EVER EVER imagine the good people and musicians they are to just throw their fans out of this and forget about it. There will be an R40 tour.

Treat each tour like its the last. One never knows...

This is the true marketing genius. We, the fans, attend each show and tour as if it is the last. These guys have been very specific in stating that they will play and tour as long as they can and as long as they are enjoying it, and in the next breath talk about how hard it is on them... leading us to believe or to feel that this may be it.. I thought that TM might be it, now I feel like CA might be it.. we have to see them and as much as we can cause we don't know when it will end.

They are genius to hint that it's too hard for them, but never to say that they will stop. Just my thoughts..

Not to be picky, cause I will take it whenever, but is it still a 40th anniversary tour if it starts in 2015?

wouldn't it be cool if the opening night was august 14, 2014, forty years after neil's debut....

of course, the civic arena in pittsburgh (the igloo) is gone....

Currently the Arena site is still a parking lot, the way things are going, it could still be a parking lot by that time.. a nice outdoor show with a view of the city..

I couldn't imagine an R40 Tour. They've been on the road for nearly twelve years, nearly nonstop. I think people are too hung up on the number "40" and the nostalgia of another "remember back when" type of show. It's just a date...

If they were to tour in 2014, they'd have just a few months off after the end of the CA tour ... then, they'd be into planning, rehearsals,,, etc. It's not just the time on the road, but all the preparation that requires a lot of work and - time. Time away from their families and whatever elements of "normal" life these guys have.

No way for R40. I don't want to see it...

I've already spoken to Ray Danniels on the phone and told him to forget about it.

You bastard! Call Ray back and tell him to start the R40 Tour in Early June, That will give them nearly 10 months off, Plenty of time to recharge their diehards.

:rage:

I hate to be a cynic but I think the accountants will have their say in this as well. Especially if there is no new material to support a tour. Realistically the boys are now facing the, "how many more opportunities do I have to set up my family for life", question. And make no mistake, this question is at the top of the list-- Right up there with, "can Geddy sing?"

That said, I would be perfectly content if the CA album was their swan song, but I will NEED one more tour (R40) to put an exclamation point on 30 years of tours.

• Like 1

I hate to be a cynic but I think the accountants will have their say in this as well. Especially if there is no new material to support a tour. Realistically the boys are now facing the, "how many more opportunities do I have to set up my family for life", question. And make no mistake, this question is at the top of the list-- Right up there with, "can Geddy sing?"

That said, I would be perfectly content if the CA album was their swan song, but I will NEED one more tour (R40) to put an exclamation point on 30 years of tours.

just my opinion, but I don't think any of them really need the money anymore....

if they haven't figured out how to be set up for life already, well, then that's their fault....didn't I read somewhere they estimated Neil is worth twenty something million dollars....

geddy has a baseball memoriabilia collection that has got to be worth a ton and alex has a wine collection worth mega bucks....

I am thinking these guys have plenty of money if they are spending this kind of money on autographed baseballs and wine....

As far as marketing each tour with a hint that you never know, I think they aren't doing this as any kind of marketing ploy to get fans out....I truly believe they are going to do their thing for as long as they think they are still at their best...regardless of the financial aspects...

Edited by nhlrush
  • Like 2

They are in their PRIME right now and they are probably more popular than they have EVER been... why would they wanna quit now?

Makes no sense.

I love this tour but they were in their prime during the ASOH days.

• Like 1

No that would never work, it'd be like getting somebody to play all of Neil's harder songs on drums because he can't do it anymore (for whatever reason).

I truly think they have two or maybe even three tours left in them. However, they all would probably need to happen with in the next 5-6 years. I think this is what they should do:

Spring 2014: Release an all instrumental Compilation CD with 3 new Instrumentals on it. (Precipiter, A'Dieu aux Fans, Skin Trade)

Summer 2014: R40 Tour in support of above mentioned CD. (Would be Easy on Geddy's Voice)

Take 3 year break:

Summer of 2018 Return to Studio to record their final and 21st studio album titled "Blackjack"

Late Winter of 2019: Release new Single " Blackjack"

Early Summer of 2019: (The Blackjack Tour)

Early Summer of 2020: "A Farewell to Fans Tour"

Set 1:

The Farewell Insturmedley: (Working Man, By-Tor & The Snow Dog, The Necromancer, Cygnus X-1, Hemipsheres (prelude), Freewill)

Limelight

New World Man

Distant Early Warning

Song from "Blackjack"

Instrumental (Precipiter)

Show Don't Tell

Cold Fire

Driven (With Bass Solo)

MalNar

Clockwork Angels

Set 2:

Archives Instrumedley: (Finding My Way/ What You're Doing/ Anthem/ Fly By Night/ Bastile Day/ No-One at the Bridge/ Didacts and Narpits/ Bastile Day Reprise Ending)

One Little Victory

Far Cry

Caravan

Red Barchetta

Instumental (A'Dieu aux Fans)

Dreamline

Turn The Page

Blackjack

The Anarchist

YYZ - Drum Solo

Alex's Solo- The Trees

Xanadu (Entire)

2112 (O/T/F)

Encore:

Subdivisions

Tom Sawyer

The Spirit of Radio

Encore #2:

La Villa Strangiatto (Entire)

Headlong Flight

Closer to the Heart (Extended)

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Edited by losingit2k

Ok, here is what I know at this point, take it for what you want....

1. Rush is nearing the end of the road to be able to put on the high quality show they insist on to keep doing this...

2. The biggest objector to touring has now shifted from Neil to Geddy....mainly because of how much of a toll it takes on him

3. While the 3 of them still enjoy each other's company and playing music together tremendously, the enjoyment of touring peaked in 2002-2007 and is now becoming more difficult physically-especially for Geddy

4. Financially, they are most likely not set for life, at least not to live the way they want to live.

5. Family time is very important to they boys.

6. R30 was really an excuse to do a tour. Vapor Trails tour was more successful than anyone imagined. They wanted to jump back out there and capitalize. Timing was right. Let's call it R30. They won't force R40

Look for an extended break after this tour

Look for them to head back into the studio sometime late 2014 to record some new material.

Look for a farewell tour in 2015. No R40.

A farewell tour, like it or not, will bring in quite a bit more revenue then if they don't call it that. Last chance to see Rush? It would sell like crazy. And I think the boys character is such that if they call it that, they will mean it.

I would be wrong, but as it sits right now, that's the way I see it.

• Like 2

I was just watching a documentary about The Eagles on Showtime. It was really interesting and I thought it was very well done. I just couldn't help but think of Rush and parallel their attitudes vs. The Eagles. Glenn Frey would only agree to getting back together with The Eagles and touring if he and Don Henley got paid much more than everyone else. The guitar played agreed (forget his name) but was a malcontent and eventually left over that business decision. Yes, Frey and Henley were the draws and writing almost everything so from a business perspective it made sense..

Then I look at Rush. Without question, Geddy takes the biggest beating every night on tour and works the hardest with the most on his shoulders. Yet the boys have continued to split everything 3 ways evenly. Shows the class of Geddy. It's really unheard of and it's the secret to what makes Rush so unique after all this time time

• Like 1

I was just watching a documentary about The Eagles on Showtime. It was really interesting and I thought it was very well done. I just couldn't help but think of Rush and parallel their attitudes vs. The Eagles. Glenn Frey would only agree to getting back together with The Eagles and touring if he and Don Henley got paid much more than everyone else. The guitar played agreed (forget his name) but was a malcontent and eventually left over that business decision. Yes, Frey and Henley were the draws and writing almost everything so from a business perspective it made sense..

Then I look at Rush. Without question, Geddy takes the biggest beating every night on tour and works the hardest with the most on his shoulders. Yet the boys have continued to split everything 3 ways evenly. Shows the class of Geddy. It's really unheard of and it's the secret to what makes Rush so unique after all this time time

The guitar player of The Eagles you are referring to is Don Felder. I didn't see the doc on them as I don't have Showtime. I'm a bit surprised Joe Walsh agreed to it though it would explain why he has done a lot of solo stuff in the years they've been back together. The fact that the guys split everything equally three ways is a huge factor in their getting along. As for Ged taking a beating every night, I feel Neil works every bit as hard. Al does have it easier than the other 2 though.

• Like 1

1. Rush is nearing the end of the road to be able to put on the high quality show they insist on to keep doing this...

2. The biggest objector to touring has now shifted from Neil to Geddy....mainly because of how much of a toll it takes on him

3. While the 3 of them still enjoy each other's company and playing music together tremendously, the enjoyment of touring peaked in 2002-2007 and is now becoming more difficult physically-especially for Geddy

4. Financially, they are most likely not set for life, at least not to live the way they want to live.

6. R30 was really an excuse to do a tour. Vapor Trails tour was more successful than anyone imagined. They wanted to jump back out there and capitalize. Timing was right. Let's call it R30. They won't force R40

Look for them to head back into the studio sometime late 2014 to record some new material.

A farewell tour, like it or not, will bring in quite a bit more revenue then if they don't call it that. Last chance to see Rush? It would sell like crazy. And I think the boys character is such that if they call it that, they will mean it.

I would be SHOCKED, SHOCKED if Rush ever announced ahead of a tour that it was a farewell tour....SHOCKED....

they have been so consistent in their philosophy....

they work as hard as they can on the project or tour that is in front of them.....then....and only then, they take a break from things and eventually get together and talk about the future.....

so how could they ever say in advance that a tour is going to be a farewell tour when they never come out and say anything about the future...

I don't even think they would know that a tour would be a farewell tour....I think all three of them would never allow management to call a tour a farewell tour even if they privately agreed that look, it's getting to hard and we are going to wind this down....

I suppose how they do business and how they plan the future could be altered, but I just don't see them ever announcing a farewell tour....

I think there will come a time when Rush ends a tour and those in attendance for the last show of that tour will find out sometime down the road that they were the lucky ones who saw them for the final time...

I still hope for an R40 tour, one more studio album and another extended tour to support that new album.....so hoping for two more tours....

• Like 1

I would be SHOCKED, SHOCKED if Rush ever announced ahead of a tour that it was a farewell tour....SHOCKED....

they have been so consistent in their philosophy....

they work as hard as they can on the project or tour that is in front of them.....then....and only then, they take a break from things and eventually get together and talk about the future.....

so how could they ever say in advance that a tour is going to be a farewell tour when they never come out and say anything about the future...

I don't even think they would know that a tour would be a farewell tour....I think all three of them would never allow management to call a tour a farewell tour even if they privately agreed that look, it's getting to hard and we are going to wind this down....

I suppose how they do business and how they plan the future could be altered, but I just don't see them ever announcing a farewell tour....

I think there will come a time when Rush ends a tour and those in attendance for the last show of that tour will find out sometime down the road that they were the lucky ones who saw them for the final time...

I still hope for an R40 tour, one more studio album and another extended tour to support that new album.....so hoping for two more tours....

I used to think just like you, that they'd never do it, but now I disagree. They know they are nearing the end. Geddy's voice simply can't hold up. And they won't tour half assed. I think they'd be comfortable calling it a farewell tour when they know it is. 2015-2016 would put them in their mid-60's and would be a bout it for Geddy

• Like 4

I agree, LeaveMyThingAlone. I am totally content to enjoy the coming tour, however, because at this point all of them have so many other interests and commitments. I also think that not calling it Farewell would be a huge mistake, because it would be a gold mine from a marketing standpoint.
  • Like 1

It has to happen sometime, and the touring will have to end. Still not convinced they will decide this ahead of time. According to Roger Daltry, long breaks from singing hurts his ability to sing, which is why he tours so much, and sings when he's not touring (esp after surgery), otherwise he claims if he took a lot of time off, he would never be able to sing again period.

I can see them being realistic and announcing it, and going out in one last blaze of glory. Maybe an EP of a couple of new things, but a tour chock full of old stuff - go out in style.

One thing is for sure - if it is announced, getting seats will be even HARDER.

• Like 1