Why do women talk more than men? Answer found

Tombstone Mountain

Fascinating. —Spock

http://www.scienceworldreport.com/articles/5073/20130220/why-women-talk-more-men-language-protein.htm

Why Women Talk More Than Men: Language Protein Uncovered

•  

Catherine Griffin

First Posted: Feb 20, 2013 09:14 AM EST

http://images.scienceworldreport.com/data/images/full/3699/lips.jpg?w=680

(Photo : Flickr) There's a biological explanation for the reason why women talk more than men.

Scientists have discovered a protein that's found in higher concentrations in the brains of women.

You know all the times that men complain about women talking too much? Apparently there's a biological explanation for the reason why women are chattier than men. Scientists have discovered that women possess higher levels of a "language protein" in their brains, which could explain why females are so talkative.

Previous research has shown that women talk almost three times as much as men. In fact, an average woman notches up 20,000 words in a day, which is about 13,000 more than the average man. In addition, women generally speak more quickly and devote more brainpower to speaking.

Yet before now, researchers haven't been able to biologically explain why this is the case.

Like Us on Facebook

Now, they can. New findings conducted by researchers at the University of Maryland School of Medicine and published in The Journal of Neuroscience show that a certain protein may be the culprit.

In 2001, a gene called FOXP2 appeared to be essential for the production of speech. In order to test this protein, the team, led by J. Michael Bowers and Margaret McCarthy, looked at young rat pups. These animals emit cries in the ultrasonic range when separated from their mothers. The team recorded the cries over five minutes in groups of 4-day-old male and female rats that had been separated from their mothers. They found that male pups had up to twice as much of the protein FOXP2 in regions of the brain known to be involved in vocalization—perhaps an unsurprising finding since researchers noted that males made twice as many cries as females.

Next, the researchers wanted to test their findings in humans. They conducted a small study on human children aged four to five years who had died in accidents less than 24 hours previously. They then analyzed the amount of FOXP2 protein in the brains of these children. In the end, the researchers found 30 percent more FOXP2 protein in the brains of the girls.

The research shows that the protein, FOXP2, is a key molecule for communication in mammals. In fact, it could allow researchers to better understand other species that may or may not possess the protein, such as Neanderthals. With this new biological link, scientists could potentially trace back the evolutionary origin of speech.

That said, the research also gives a reason for why women tend to be better at small talk.

• Like 2

why do we talk a lot? because there's nothing better for us to do, other than to pop out babies. we have to entertain ourselves while laid up all the time, eh? :LOL:

the better question is, why are women so god damn nosey? gossip had to be invented by women. bored housewives.

why do we talk a lot? because there's nothing better for us to do, other than to pop out babies. we have to entertain ourselves while laid up all the time, eh? :LOL:

the better question is, why are women so god damn nosey? gossip had to be invented by women. bored housewives.

There's a protein in regions of the brain called BUTTiN2 which is known to be involved in overhearing conversations even when vocalizations are inaudible to 98.9% of mammals. Researchers have noted that women have over five times the amount that men have. BUTTiN2 works in conjunction with the FOXP2 protein to result in communication through gossip.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Hot damn! Now I have a bona fide excuse and science to back it up! :coy:

20,000 words a day for chicks...13,000 more than men...what up with that?

I don't think I even know 20,000 words..! :P

"Fascinating" topic, indeed!!!! I've always wondered about this. :eyeroll: Now, I have an answer, when my husband asks me why I always talk so much!!!! ;) :rage: :LOL:
  • Like 1

Gossip was invented to help you ladies speak the other 13,000 words on any given day.

:outtahere:

• Like 1

Ladies, men need you to speak your mind. As the great Jerry Macguire said "you complete me". How else would we survive without your input?

You wouldn't. :)

oh no you didn't...well then...what possible void does a man fill in your world?
  • Like 1

Ladies, men need you to speak your mind. As the great Jerry Macguire said "you complete me". How else would we survive without your input?

oh no you didn't...well then...what possible void does a man fill in your world?

I'll take "None" for $500, Bob.

Ha.

• Like 1

Ha.

Don't you need someone to listen? That's why we're here Babe!
  • Like 2

Ha.

Don't you need someone to listen? That's why we're here Babe!

Fair enough! :D But you do realize that if you tell a woman you'll listen, you may eventually regret it?

• Like 1

When I was a child, my mother called me "Rent-A-Mouth", on the account I gave it the old yap-yap-yap. Now I find it's roughly the opposite - can't always get a peep out of me..! Make of that what you will! :P
  • Like 2

When I was a child, my mother called me "Rent-A-Mouth", on the account I gave it the old yap-yap-yap. Now I find it's roughly the opposite - can't always get a peep out of me..! Make of that what you will! :P

That's why when Babycat speaks—people listen!
  • Like 1

:LOL:

I remember when Babycat used to give me "likes", I guess i'm on the wrong side of the litter box now...sniff
  • Like 1

I remember when Babycat used to give me "likes", I guess i'm on the wrong side of the litter box now...sniff

Eh..? You're always on the right side of the litter box..! :)

Edited by Babycat

Hey I live with a pretty kitty (can you recall the lovely ladies name?) I know how to stroke a girly girl kitty kat
  • Like 1

Hey I live with a pretty kitty (can you recall the lovely ladies name?) I know how to stroke a girly girl kitty kat

How many likes did I just give you..? :hug2:

• Like 1