12 - Best Song From Hold Your Fire

RushRevisited

What do you think is the best song from this album?  

1112 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the best song from this album?

• Force Ten
    • Time Stand Still
    • Open Secrets
    • Second Nature
    • Prime Mover
    • Lock and Key
    • Mission
    • Turn The Page
    • Tai Shan
    • High Water

Mission. HYF is my least favourite Rush album. wtf.gif was my first thought at hearing it. Too much synth, too pop. It took many, many, many years to grow on me. I do think it is some of Neil's strongest lyric work. I have come to love this album. It is Rush, afterall.

I'm a big fan of Force Ten, and on about six out of ten days, I'd pick it- but there are so many other strong songs on this album (I'm a bigger fan of it than most, I think)...Time Stand Still, Open Secrets, Mission, Turn the Page, High Water...those are the other big ones, for me. I really can't decide. Edited by Blue J

Open Secrets, for all the reasons stated above and more.

Ditto. Based on the comments, I am surprised it doesn't rate higher.

HYF is the first album that I didn't like every song on, no matter how hard I tried. But it begins strong—and in spite of only half the songs (imo) being truly good, holds a special fire for me.

But Open Secrets resonated so much, especially at the time. It wasn't even a personal relationship so much as my personal relationship with the world. I'm not big on "bests" as it were; but if Neil has written a best lyric, this is it.

This is a tough one for me seeing that this is on my top 5 favorite Rush albums, but I had to choose Mission. Just the lyrics just make you 'fire your imagination', and the instrumentation for this song is one of their best sounding and creative. Plus there's the xylophone.

I went for Force Ten, but that may be due to my current mood and the fact that it's the most chaotic of the songs on the record.

I love Time Stand Still for its lyrical content and its enthusiasm that lies within the music, and Prime Mover is one of my favourite tracks from any Rush album (I'm surprised though that no one has used it for a Sitcom theme yet), but Force Ten is probably their most focused track on the record.

This is tough. I have to say on the first few listens this won't end up being one of my absolute favorite albums (too much like PoW, but I heard PoW first and like it better), so this at least eliminates a few tracks for me that just don't stand out enough, but there is a significant number of stronger tracks, like "Force Ten," "Time Stand Still," "Lock And Key," "Tai Shan" (mainly for the music), "Open Secrets," "Mission," and "Prime Mover." Not to say the other tracks are bad, but they'll have to grow on me some more. That being said, for me it's between "Force Ten" and "Lock And Key." I really want to show the latter some more love in the poll, but when I think about it, "Force Ten" really is the better of the two though I may be subject to changing my mind. Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

This is tough. I have to say on the first few listens this won't end up being one of my absolute favorite albums (too much like PoW, but I heard PoW first and like it better), so this at least eliminates a few tracks for me that just don't stand out enough, but there is a significant number of stronger tracks, like "Force Ten," "Time Stand Still," "Lock And Key," "Tai Shan" (mainly for the music), "Open Secrets," "Mission," and "Prime Mover." Not to say the other tracks are bad, but they'll have to grow on me some more. That being said, for me it's between "Force Ten" and "Lock And Key." I really want to show the latter some more love in the poll, but when I think about it, "Force Ten" really is the better of the two though I may be subject to changing my mind.

Yours is a common reaction, Entre_Perpetuo. At least that is the sense that I'd gotten from many on the forum over time, which is why I posted this:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/84193-hold-your-fire-the-directors-cuts/

Which, of course, you can choose to ignore.

Voted Lock And Key.

Mission and Force Ten run it close.

And as for Tai Shan and High Water, why the hate? Together they end HYF perfectly!

I can't believe Mission is not number one here. It's blasphemy really.

Especially their rendition on A Show of Hands DVD.

Agreed. Mission and its not close...... Edited by Narpski