Other power singers around Geddy's age can still sing like when they were younger. Why can't Geddy?

fonzbear2000

With age the vocal cords stretch making it harder and harder to hit the highs. McCartney in his 70's still his the highs but some other notes give trouble. Geddy is having some troubles but it is age. Some surgeries can tighten the cords but as a singer is it worth the chance. Think his hands are more of an issue and I feel why he played more keys this tour. As a bass player years take a bad toll on the hands.

His hands are not an issue at all and the 80's keyboard songs have nothing to do with this. In fact, the 80's songs contain Geddy's busiest and most demanding bass melodies, and he did an awesome job on the first leg of the tour. Also, he has never played in such a high level. Just watch him play the intro to Where's my thing? - he does some amazing chromatic shredding over there. His flamenco picking technique is also on its peak (it's a demanding technique too, it causes a lot of strain on your hand). Geddy's only struggle is on his vocals, that's all.

• Like 1

With age the vocal cords stretch making it harder and harder to hit the highs. McCartney in his 70's still his the highs but some other notes give trouble. Geddy is having some troubles but it is age. Some surgeries can tighten the cords but as a singer is it worth the chance. Think his hands are more of an issue and I feel why he played more keys this tour. As a bass player years take a bad toll on the hands.

His hands are not an issue at all and the 80's keyboard songs have nothing to do with this. In fact, the 80's songs contain Geddy's busiest and most demanding bass melodies, and he did an awesome job on the first leg of the tour. Also, he has never played in such a high level. Just watch him play the intro to Where's my thing? - he does some amazing chromatic shredding over there. His flamenco picking technique is also on its peak (it's a demanding technique too, it causes a lot of strain on your hand). Geddy's only struggle is on his vocals, that's all.

I could not agree more - the synth era songs contain some of his most intricate and difficult bass work. His bass playing on this tour (and really all of the tours of late) has been stellar.

His vocs were surely strained on the TMT. In retrospect, it was a really demaniding set for any vocalist. I'm glad he made the right choices for this tour - it's proving to be my all time fave, just got my ticks for the Chicago show - whooo hooo :)

• Like 1

Most singers lose a bit with age. The human voice is uncertain. It can change at any age. I am better at 48 than I was at 28. There is no rhyme or reason to some things. He is still good enough that its worth enjoying what he does in the overall landscape of Rush.

If Geddy were singing lyrics that weren't in such a high range, he would probably sound better. In the 70's when they wrote these songs, I don't think Geddy ever thought to himself "One day I'm gonna have to sing these songs when I'm like 60 years old." He probably figured they'd be long gone as a band by then. I think Geddy can sing remarkably well for his age and how high the vocal ranges of these songs are.