Geddy's favorite sandwich revealed...

laughedatbytime

Thrashhits.com asks the question on everyone's mind

http://www.thrashhits.com/2013/02/heavy-metal-sandwich-004-geddy-lee-of-rush/

The sandwich is possibly the greatest food-based invention. They allow us to eat and post on Facebook at the same time and absolutely anybody can eat them. Vegetarian? Put some more salad in. Belly doesn’t like wheat? Use gluten-free bread then! And everybody has a favourite sandwich. Even bands…

One of the most enduring food items that the great city of Montreal has given to the world is its smoked meat. Who better to talk to about how it best goes into a sandwich than Geddy Lee of legendary prog metal heavyweights, Rush. (Nobody, that’s who.)

Hello there, Geddy Lee of Rush. Tell us all about your favourite sandwich.

Bread: It has to be rye bread.

Filling: Pastrami. It’s what you call salt beef.

Salad: Dill pickles on the side.

Condiments: Dijon mustard.

What’s so good about it?

“I’m a big meat fan so this is great. It’s a pastrami sandwich but you call it salt beef and in Montreal it’s called Montreal smoked meat… Well, just smoked meat. I had a great sandwich in Langer’s in Los Angeles while we were recording Clockwork Angels. I love going around the world and eating pastrami sandwiches – there are a couple of places in London that I have to try. Mishkin’s is one. You know what? Talking about pastrami like this has given me an idea about the stage props for this tour…”

Metal rating? 6/6 because Geddy’s such a big sandwich fan that his local deli has named a breakfast after him. More importantly, if you see any meat-oriented sandwiches on stage during Rush’s world tour this year, you can directly attribute the idea to us. We want credit.

Oh my... Geddy knows his sandwiches! Montreal is known around the world for it's "Montreal smoked meat."

Smoked meat (pastrami) just happens to be my fave sandwich of all time too.

There is a place in Montreal called "Schwartz's Deli." It's been there for 80 some years. Celine Dion and another party recently bought the place for something like 10 million dollars. The place is legendary. If you ever see "Montreal Steak Spice" in your store, it was first made at Schwartz's Deli back in the 40s.

Some day - I will eat there.

• Like 1

I would have posted this in the NWW subforum but I think they'd hear the words Geddy and sandwich together and would have an entirely different image in their minds than that of pastrami. :)
  • Like 3

I would have posted this in the NWW subforum but I think they'd hear the words Geddy and sandwich together and would have an entirely different image in their minds than that of pastrami. :)

Not kidding there, LABT..! :tempted:

:blush:

*ahem*

And thanks for the tag, btw..! :D

• Like 2

My wife and I were eating at Katz Deli in New York one night about 10 or so years ago (maybe it was less) and Geddy was there eating a Pastrami sandwich with two other guys. I was quite taken aback to see him sitting there, having been a huge fan since I was 12 years old. I realized later that evening that he was in town to do a radio interview, and I'm guessing that they took him out to dinner before hand. After much internal debate, I decided not to bug him and disturb his dinner.
  • Like 2

My wife and I were eating at Katz Deli in New York one night about 10 or so years ago (maybe it was less) and Geddy was there eating a Pastrami sandwich with two other guys. I was quite taken aback to see him sitting there, having been a huge fan since I was 12 years old. I realized later that evening that he was in town to do a radio interview, and I'm guessing that they took him out to dinner before hand. After much internal debate, I decided not to bug him and disturb his dinner.

Good call... it's often better to NOT meet your heros because if it isn't a great encounter, you might have been bummed out. Plus, the guy is eating his dinner.

I was standing a few feet from Geddy in the Eaton Centre (a big mall downtown) in Toronto back in the early 80s and I didn't say a word. What would I say? "Um, hi Geddy. How's it going?" They must get tired of it... But, I do remember thinking, "Hey, he's not THAT tall." They always look like giants on a stage...

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Pastrami is the king of lunchmeats. Pastrami on rye with mustard and a pickle is an old Jewish deli standard must-have. That, and a bowl of matzoh ball soup, which knowing Geddy and his love for soup, I would bet he's had along with his sandwich many a time. Now that my friends, is a motherf*cking MEAL! :yes: :drool:

Good call... it's often better to NOT meet your heros because if it isn't a great encounter, you might have been bummed out. Plus, the guy is eating his dinner.

I was standing a few feet from Geddy in the Eaton Centre (a big mall downtown) in Toronto back in the early 80s and I didn't say a word. What would I say? "Um, hi Geddy. How's it going?" They must get tired of it... But, I do remember thinking, "Hey, he's not THAT tall." They always look like giants on a stage...

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Thanks. That was more or less my thought process. It wasn't an appropriate venue to tell him how important his work was to me, and he no doubt heard that many times before to the point that I didn't think he would care enough to be distracted from his sandwich. So, at bottom, I really didn't have anything to say besides empty sounding plattitudes, and I didn't see any point in that. I will say that he seemed like the very jovial, nice, and level-headed sort of guy that I would have expected him to be.

• Like 1

Thrashhits.com asks the question on everyone's mind

http://www.thrashhit...dy-lee-of-rush/

The sandwich is possibly the greatest food-based invention. They allow us to eat and post on Facebook at the same time and absolutely anybody can eat them. Vegetarian? Put some more salad in. Belly doesn’t like wheat? Use gluten-free bread then! And everybody has a favourite sandwich. Even bands…

One of the most enduring food items that the great city of Montreal has given to the world is its smoked meat. Who better to talk to about how it best goes into a sandwich than Geddy Lee of legendary prog metal heavyweights, Rush. (Nobody, that’s who.)

Hello there, Geddy Lee of Rush. Tell us all about your favourite sandwich.

Bread: It has to be rye bread.

Filling: Pastrami. It’s what you call salt beef.

Salad: Dill pickles on the side.

Condiments: Dijon mustard.

What’s so good about it?

“I’m a big meat fan so this is great. It’s a pastrami sandwich but you call it salt beef and in Montreal it’s called Montreal smoked meat… Well, just smoked meat. I had a great sandwich in Langer’s in Los Angeles while we were recording Clockwork Angels. I love going around the world and eating pastrami sandwiches – there are a couple of places in London that I have to try. Mishkin’s is one. You know what? Talking about pastrami like this has given me an idea about the stage props for this tour…”

Metal rating? 6/6 because Geddy’s such a big sandwich fan that his local deli has named a breakfast after him. More importantly, if you see any meat-oriented sandwiches on stage during Rush’s world tour this year, you can directly attribute the idea to us. We want credit.

I notice your avatar. I like it very much as I am the biggest Dolphin fan in the land.

Are you as excited about the new season ahead. How do you like the FA landings? I cannot wait for the draft.

Anyway, nice to meet you sir.

Ps.............I love pastrami on rye. Deli mustard, garlic pickle and cold beer. The very best!!!!!

Yes, I'm looking forward to the season. I hope Grimes (the latest signing, today) can come back from his Achilles issue. If so, he's a steal. I have a little bit of concern about Wallace's work ethic but if he goes all out he should be able to stretch the field, something no one from last year's team could do. I'm not sure if the Gibson signing was worth the cap room.

Elsewhere on the defensive side of the ball, I think Ellerbe and Wheeler were good signings, though we lost Burnett and Dansby, who were still solid contributors. But we got younger, so that's a plus.

Should be an interesting year. As always, I'm excited for the draft...I usually watch the whole thing, though I don't follow the college game that well so I kind of need to rely on the opinions of the "experts" (who seem to miss as often as they're right.)

Anyway, thanks John, and go Fins.

(P.S., you'll notice that my av is the old logo. Don't really care for the new one...how about you?)

Yes, I'm looking forward to the season. I hope Grimes (the latest signing, today) can come back from his Achilles issue. If so, he's a steal. I have a little bit of concern about Wallace's work ethic but if he goes all out he should be able to stretch the field, something no one from last year's team could do. I'm not sure if the Gibson signing was worth the cap room.

Elsewhere on the defensive side of the ball, I think Ellerbe and Wheeler were good signings, though we lost Burnett and Dansby, who were still solid contributors. But we got younger, so that's a plus.

Should be an interesting year. As always, I'm excited for the draft...I usually watch the whole thing, though I don't follow the college game that well so I kind of need to rely on the opinions of the "experts" (who seem to miss as often as they're right.)

(P.S., you'll notice that my av is the old logo. Don't really care for the new one...how about you?)

I am so glad you asked. I was trying to find out how to attach a photo in my signature line. I was going to use the new logo. Not for my avatar, below in the sig line. I do not know how to do it.

I did not know they signed Grimes today. I read the Miami Herald, Sun Sentinel and PFT and saw nothing this morning. Thanks for the heads up.

When was the last time you saw Dansby or Burnett make a play? Me either. Thats why they are gone. They were solid and way over paid IMHO.

I hope Wallace is worth the money. I am concerned Bess may be next out, due to The Gibson signing.

Anyway, its great to meet you. I hope you can tell me how to put pictures below the post. Like the pictures you have. Thanks John

I am so glad you asked. I was trying to find out how to attach a photo in my signature line. I was going to use the new logo. Not for my avatar, below in the sig line. I do not know how to do it.

I did not know they signed Grimes today. I read the Miami Herald, Sun Sentinel and PFT and saw nothing this morning. Thanks for the heads up.

When was the last time you saw Dansby or Burnett make a play? Me either. Thats why they are gone. They were solid and way over paid IMHO.

I hope Wallace is worth the money. I am concerned Bess may be next out, due to The Gibson signing.

Anyway, its great to meet you. I hope you can tell me how to put pictures below the post. Like the pictures you have. Thanks John

For your avatar

Click on your name on the top bar.

Then click on your profile.

Then edit my profile up and to the right

Then click on change my photo

Use a custom photo

Then choose file, and paste in the URL of your photo (or whatever you want to post.

It looks like you know how to do the signature, but if not, please let me know and I can walk you through it.

• Like 1

Oh my... Geddy knows his sandwiches! Montreal is known around the world for it's "Montreal smoked meat."

Smoked meat (pastrami) just happens to be my fave sandwich of all time too.

There is a place in Montreal called "Schwartz's Deli." It's been there for 80 some years. Celine Dion and another party recently bought the place for something like 10 million dollars. The place is legendary. If you ever see "Montreal Steak Spice" in your store, it was first made at Schwartz's Deli back in the 40s.

Some day - I will eat there.

Mmmmm I'm a vegetarian and I still use that spice. I like to sprinkle it on pasta and veggies, sooooo dang good!

I have my avatar set.

I want to put the new Dolphin on the signature line at the bottom. I do not use a hosting site. My picture is on the computer. When I click on picture, I get a prompt for url. I don't use one.

I have my avatar set.

I want to put the new Dolphin on the signature line at the bottom. I do not use a hosting site. My picture is on the computer. When I click on picture, I get a prompt for url. I don't use one.

OK...sorry, I can't help with that, I've got all mine from files from the net. I don't use a hosting site (at least I don't think I do, in fact I'm embarrassed to admit I'm not even sure what one is :( I'm to this stuff like Cam Cameron is to head coaching...) It took me about 1000 posts to figure out how to even post any images at all... If you click on the image icon in the edit my signature and paste the file location on your computer, that might work, but I've never done it.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

And if you say Alex, Geddy, and sandwich, Lord only knows with those filthy minded tarts would start thinking. ;)

• Like 2

Thats okay friend. I am trying as we speak.

Maybe someone else can help.

I want to use a picture from file, not from a URL.

It looks like Grimes is already running. May will be 8 months removed from surgery. HE WILL GET HIS SHOT.

ps............Is there a thread for forum help? I don't want to start a thread over a picture!

Edited by John V

Thats okay friend. I am trying as we speak.

Maybe someone else can help.

I want to use a picture from file, not from a URL.

It looks like Grimes is already running. May will be 8 months removed from surgery. HE WILL GET HIS SHOT.

ps............Is there a thread for forum help? I don't want to start a thread over a picture!

Maybe this will work...I thought I could have gotten it to work using these instructions but never did, but maybe you're smarter than me...

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/8650-trf-faqs/

Nope. They don't say anything about uploading photos from file. Only from web hosting services like photobucket.

There must be a way to upload photos from computer files? I am asking anyone or everyone this question before I start a thread.

You can't upload a picture from your computer files. The only way we'd be able to access the picture uploaded from your file is by being on your computer. You're going to have to use a photosharing site such as photobucket or imgur