Did music media re-frame the punk phenomenon?

Sin City

Hear ya. lots of the british punk scene took the punk 3 chord formula literally , limiting the allowance for influences in their music...Even if some liked music some prog(lydon) ...being blasphemy or something. well its not apparent at all in the majority of uk 70's punk at the time. sure new wave followed but in away it was removed from the original catalyst of punk. its why the sst scene is so appealing, punk ethos in more diverse music - allowing influences.... Not a care; a punk attitude if you will to influences.
  • Like 1

also, if you read get in the van by henry rollins, his tour journals from his time in black flag, they spend a whole lot more time listening to dio, zz top and jimi hendrix than you'd ever expect

Another reason 80's punk was better. They could actually play their instruments. The musical tastes you reference explains why.

80's bands were punk by choice, not necessity.

80's punk was much better. And to reinforce your point Goose...could any punk guitarist from the 70s come close to the level that Bob Mould plays at?

I think the best thing about the punk rock movement is all of the bands that it influenced. Would there have ever been a Joy Division, The Cure, The Afghan Whigs, Catherine Wheel, Sonic Youth, Bad Religion, The Pixies, Echo And The Bunnymen, Fugazi, My Bloody Valentine, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Smiths, Social Distortion, Husker Du/Sugar, The Replacements, and so on, and so on, without the 70's punk movement?

• Like 2

You know, I was really involved some time ago in my town's local Punk scene, and I really got fed up with their attitude.

They still believe the Ramones or The Clash are the best bands ever as though no other bands had came during the last 35 years.

I almost got in a fight with a guy who was adamant Syd Vicious was a great bass player, obviously, I told him he wasn't , so he answered me something like "it dosen't matter, it's the image and the look that matter", anyway we argued for about half an hour and I ended up calling him "a f***ing groupie".

But I still like a lot of punk music, I just find the ideology completely retarded.

• Like 3