Rush - Held Hostage In Hollywood - 10/03/1979

edolecki

They must not like playing "fly by night" - its only four years old at the time of this show and they didn't play it....or "In the end"

It's crazy to me that three years later, they are in the Signals era, their clothes and hair are totally different, they've gone through moving pictures and its popularity, the whole space shuttle thing...

I find it so strange that so much could change from 79-82, everything changed....

but since 2002 and rush's return, essentially they look and sound the same...they certainly look older now and ged's voice is getting near the end, and oh yeah, Al got his hair worked on....

Edited by nhlrush

They must not like playing "fly by night" - its only four years old at the time of this show and they didn't play it....or "In the end"

I think Geddy doesn't like it. I thought I've read that before.

Honestly, I like how he's singing better now. Listening to how Cygnux X-1 one sounded on the Vapor trails Tours and here, I'd take his sining now. He even strained singing the high parts back then. It sounds forced and strained, yet very clear! Granted this is the setlist every older fan would want.

:rush: :haz: :rush:

This is by far, my favourite Rush era. I remember running all the way home from school (some little prick stole my goddam bike!) so I could play Hemisheres over and over and over again. Then I'd play it a few more times... I had one of the original "red vinyl" records... but one day later on, someone "frisbeed it" across the room at a party and broke it. I nearly killed him.

How come they always skipped the second verse in the live Anthems later in the 70s and Geddy never sang it like he did on the record? His emphasis and cadence weren't the same as on FBN. That always bothered me. The FBN version kicks so much ass, I never get tired of hearing it.

This is by far, my favourite Rush era. I remember running all the way home from school (some little prick stole my goddam bike!) so I could play Hemisheres over and over and over again. Then I'd play it a few more times... I had one of the original "red vinyl" records... but one day later on, someone "frisbeed it" across the room at a party and broke it. I nearly killed him.

I'll always love the band and all the changes over he decades, but Geddys '70s voice was just awesome...range, power, expression. Sadly he can't come close to sounding anywhere near that good anymore.