MP vs PeW

Steevo

MP vs PeW  

57 members have voted

1. 1. MP vs PeW

• MP
    • PeW

It's MP. The songs are so strong. Side One is Rush's sound to me. That's the sound that I fell in love with and that album will still force me to crank up the radio, sing along, and play air drums, bass and guitar all while singing.

PeW is great, but the songs on MP are stronger. Side Two is mesmerizing. The sounds on the city streets, the witch hunt, Geddy's tone on VS. One of my personal favourite Rush lyrics (Green and grey washes in a whispy white veil and then Geddy's delivery of mist in the streets of Westminster - it makes me all goose pimply).

Hands down, MP.

For me.

I feel this way about The Camera Eye too, but none of the other songs on the album move me that way.

Okay, Cygnus, you're staring to make me think this one through one more time... how about if we take The Camera Eye, remove it from MP and simply add it to PeW? Now, THAT would be THE best SOB of an effing dad gum, gosh dang it Rush album!

See, I'm waaaaaaaaaaaay smarter than I think I thought I was!

• Like 1

For a long, long time, I would have said MP. But, over 30 years down the line (how the eff did that happen?!), I've changed my opinion for the reason that Pew bridges the gap between early rush and rush stage 2. It's a perfect blend of old and modern rush and the balance of where they came from and where they were going was just sublime. And as a transitional album it is so much better than signals and without it, MP would a) never have existed and B) been so good. I can't think of 3 albums by any other band I like as consistent and as good as hemispheres, Pew and MP. There isn't a wasted second on permanent waves. One of the great rock records and just perfect for the time when it was released.

That sums it up for me, too.

They are both so short compared to modern CD lengths that I rarely listen to one without listening to the other. Permanent Waves wins, barely, but on any given day the history and memories associated with Moving Pictures will rise to the top. They say smells trigger memories more than just about anything, but for me it was always music that helped to stir my memory. Oddly enough as I answer this question I am at my parent's house sitting in almost the exact same spot where I first heard both albums. I guess I could get my phone out and crank them both, but my folks are almost 70 and I passed the stage where I pissed them off with my music some time ago.

Okay, Cygnus, you're staring to make me think this one through one more time... how about if we take The Camera Eye, remove it from MP and simply add it to PeW? Now, THAT would be THE best SOB of an effing dad gum, gosh dang it Rush album!

:LOL: Too much music for vinyl but on my iPod, it's all one big album anyway. Lots of CA in today's mix for some reason, The Seeker, too - a great song.

PeW has two "weak" tracks, imo. I'm one of the heretics who isn't a nut for JL. :o Cool riff to play and a nifty song to count to, but it is just a mediocre song to me. I recall reading/hearing sometime back that they didn't like they way it sounded live (I presume mixed with the rest of the material in the show). If that is true, I don't expect it anytime soon. And, I can only theorize it is a bit of a downer with a moderate rhythm and it is quite lengthy. They've done everything from PeW except Different Strings, at least I've never seen them do it live - which is too bad, I really like that song - but it is a weaker track on the album. A testament to how good the songs are on the rest of the album. TSOR and Freewill are staples and I always want to see them. Fantastic to see Entre Nous get some love last tour. NatSci is wonderful and wonderful and wonderful.

Moving Pictures is in a different league. The opening side is a barrage with no rest. The texture on the second side is gorgeous. The Camera Eye! The focus is sharp in the city. Race the oncoming night and flow through streets of the city. Geddy's and Alex's tones during Alex's second solo are astounding. So round. So beefy. Witch Hunt slows a bit but lyrically is devastating - just think of how many great lyrics are contained in that 4+ minutes. Vital Signs. Again, that stellar tone and lyrically succinct. Geddy, Alex and Neil in their prime.

You can mess with a classic, TBR, but why would you want to mess with MP or PeW? ;)

:LOL: Too much music for vinyl but on my iPod, it's all one big album anyway. Lots of CA in today's mix for some reason, The Seeker, too - a great song.

PeW has two "weak" tracks, imo. I'm one of the heretics who isn't a nut for JL. :o Cool riff to play and a nifty song to count to, but it is just a mediocre song to me. I recall reading/hearing sometime back that they didn't like they way it sounded live (I presume mixed with the rest of the material in the show). If that is true, I don't expect it anytime soon. And, I can only theorize it is a bit of a downer with a moderate rhythm and it is quite lengthy. They've done everything from PeW except Different Strings, at least I've never seen them do it live - which is too bad, I really like that song - but it is a weaker track on the album. A testament to how good the songs are on the rest of the album. TSOR and Freewill are staples and I always want to see them. Fantastic to see Entre Nous get some love last tour. NatSci is wonderful and wonderful and wonderful.

Moving Pictures is in a different league. The opening side is a barrage with no rest. The texture on the second side is gorgeous. The Camera Eye! The focus is sharp in the city. Race the oncoming night and flow through streets of the city. Geddy's and Alex's tones during Alex's second solo are astounding. So round. So beefy. Witch Hunt slows a bit but lyrically is devastating - just think of how many great lyrics are contained in that 4+ minutes. Vital Signs. Again, that stellar tone and lyrically succinct. Geddy, Alex and Neil in their prime.

You can mess with a classic, TBR, but why would you want to mess with MP or PeW? ;)

Oyay, Cyg... "them there's fattin' words." Jacob's Ladder could be THE best Rush song ever. I think I'll have to challenge on that one... (You're still cool though.)

• Like 1

Actually, hang on for just one second there Cyg'ster... ! You said that Different Strings was a weak song? I disagree! Check out Big Al's harmonics in that tune.. and the solo at the end. Hugh Syme's piano parts... wicked! It was of the first songs too, where Geddy sang in a lower register and - sounded great!

So there!

Actually, hang on for just one second there Cyg'ster... ! You said that Different Strings was a weak song? I disagree! Check out Big Al's harmonics in that tune.. and the solo at the end. Hugh Syme's piano parts... wicked! It was of the first songs too, where Geddy sang in a lower register and - sounded great!

So there!

Now, now. Context. Different Strings is not a weak song, but yes it is weaker than TSOR, Freewill, Entre Nous, and NatSci.

Wouldn't you say?

Okay, CG... I know when I'm being out-smarted. You're right... sort of, but maybe not kinda for sure. Different Strings is a "slightly" weaker song than TSOR, Freewill and Entre Nouse and NS. Sort of but not for sure.
  • Like 1

Okay, CG... I know when I'm being out-smarted. You're right... sort of, but maybe not kinda for sure. Different Strings is a "slightly" weaker song than TSOR, Freewill and Entre Nouse and NS. Sort of but not for sure.

We both love PeW and think that on that album "Different Strings" is a great song but there are even better ones on the album. Where JL falls in the pantheon if Rush is certainly up for debate as we all have our favourites. And, I have that heretical aspect.

I'm not trying to outsmart you, TBR. Just a friendly debate amongst Rush fans. :)

• Like 1

I'm still stuck on PeW.

I remember when I was about 17, trying to figure out the last section in Jacob's Ladder on the drums. I never bothered to do it the easy and way and actually count it out, so I never really knew if I was playing in 6/8, 7/8 or whatever, but I did learn it. And, then I just HAD to show of "in the high school halls" the next day... and in the music room... and in the parking lot... and at my buddie's house after school. yep......................

Jacob's Ladder is just an ok song with a few monstrous moments, imo, and Entre Nous, while a great song no doubt, isn't necessarily the band's crowning achievement. MP would win for me if not for one tiny, 9 minute and 17 second long detail.

Natural Science is not only the best piece that Rush has ever written, but it's probably most musically exciting song I've ever heard. It is so perfect that words fail to describe it's grandeur. From the beauty of "Tidal Pools" to the driving intensity of "Hyperspace" to the total victory of "Permanent Waves" Rush created something that I feel transcends Rock music. Lyrically, it can't be beat. Here you have a song that basically encapsulates the entire history of civilization, past, present and future into less than ten minutes.

Untouchable perfection. Not a note out of place, not a word wasted. The quickest ten minutes of music I've ever heard.

In case you can't tell, I like that song.

• Like 5

Jacob's Ladder is just an ok song with a few monstrous moments, imo, and Entre Nous, while a great song no doubt, isn't necessarily the band's crowning achievement. MP would win for me if not for one tiny, 9 minute and 17 second long detail.

Natural Science is not only the best piece that Rush has ever written, but it's probably most musically exciting song I've ever heard. It is so perfect that words fail to describe it's grandeur. From the beauty of "Tidal Pools" to the driving intensity of "Hyperspace" to the total victory of "Permanent Waves" Rush created something that I feel transcends Rock music. Lyrically, it can't be beat. Here you have a song that basically encapsulates the entire history of civilization, past, present and future into less than ten minutes.

Untouchable perfection. Not a note out of place, not a word wasted. The quickest ten minutes of music I've ever heard.

Excellent description of Natural Science. PeW and MP are pretty much tied for me, but largely because Natural Science is on Waves. Replace The Camera Eye with Natural Science and MP would be the perfect album.

:goodone:

This is a difficult choice but Permanent Waves edges it for me. A great set of songs that to me are timeless, I'd also have to disagree with a previous post. Jacobs Ladder is a superb tune, even better when played live!