Hippie vs. Hipster question

rushgoober

I gotta say, the more I read about what a hipster is, the more ridiculous it sounds. I'm all for self-expression and whatever, but it just sounds so trendy and superficial, and more importantly, it doesn't sound like they have much fun.

well they do things they enjoy, like reading beatnik poems and listening to coffee house indie, but they cant look like they're enjoying themselves

but, but, that's just crazy! you're allowed to have a good time, but you have to keep it all inside? :crazy:

that's what it seems like.

I gotta say, the more I read about what a hipster is, the more ridiculous it sounds. I'm all for self-expression and whatever, but it just sounds so trendy and superficial, and more importantly, it doesn't sound like they have much fun.

Acting superior and above it all is as good a time as anyone could hope to have. ;)

well they do things they enjoy, like reading beatnik poems and listening to coffee house indie, but they cant look like they're enjoying themselves

but, but, that's just crazy! you're allowed to have a good time, but you have to keep it all inside? :crazy:

that's what it seems like.

so what happens if you have a good time and show it? do your friends abandon you? do the gods of cool descend upon and smite you? seriously, what's the philosophy behind not expressing emotion - trying to cultivate some kind of cool detachment? is it too mainstream to show enthusiasm?

:huh:

Acting superior and above it all is as good a time as anyone could hope to have. ;)

http://www.spiritualquestionshelpline.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/is-god-real-puzzled-look.jpg

We've touched briefly on the importance of irony in hipster culture.

Imagine walking into a music store and asking the owner what they recommend for a certain genre of music. The person replies that they don't know because they don't like music.

You say, "But you own a music store!"

They reply, "Ironic, isn't it?"

Then they go back to fiddling with their iPhone and looking bored.

Edited by Sheldon Cooper
  • Like 1

This may have already been mentioned, but the original subculture movement that were called hipsters were the subculture vagabond jazz fans of the 1940's who the Beat Generation writer Jack Kerouac was fixated on and whom he eventually based many of the characters in his books on. Herbert Huncke, a street hustler morphine junkie who hung out in NYC in Times Square, was probably the first 1940's hipster Kerouac was acquainted with. Kerouac idolized the hipster lifestyle and wrote about them in On the Road. Beat poet Allen Ginsberg lovingly dubbed Huncke and his kind as "angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night,..." in his extraordinary poem "Howl."

It is interesting to note that the writings of the Beat Generation, having been created in the earlier image of the 1940's hipsters, served as a handbook for the rise of the hippie culture that came of age in the 1960's, replacing the Beats as the subculture of that day.

I tend to believe that all of our subcultures have common roots, are born in the same vein, and exist for the same reasons as those that came before them. Today's hipsters at first glance are completely different animals from the hipsters of the 1940's, and completely different from the hippies of the 1960's (and of today) but it's my theory that they are, at their core, merely different mutations of the same animal.

Edited by kkdalloway
  • Like 4

This may have already been mentioned, but the original subculture movement that were called hipsters were the subculture vagabond jazz fans of the 1940's who the Beat Generation writer Jack Kerouac was fixated on and whom he eventually based many of the characters in his books on. Herbert Huncke, a street hustler morphine junkie who hung out in NYC in Times Square, was probably the first 1940's hipster Kerouac was acquainted with. Kerouac idolized the hipster lifestyle and wrote about them in On the Road. Beat poet Allen Ginsberg lovingly dubbed Huncke and his kind as "angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night,..." in his extraordinary poem "Howl."

It is interesting to note that the writings of the Beat Generation, having been created in the earlier image of the 1940's hipsters, served as a handbook for the rise of the hippie culture that came of age in the 1960's, replacing the Beats as the subculture of that day.

I tend to believe that all of our subcultures have common roots, are born in the same vein, an exist for the same reasons as those that came before them. Today's hipsters at first glance are completely different animals from the hipsters of the 1940's, and completely different from the hippies of the 1960's (and of today) but it's my theory that they are, at their core, merely different mutations of the same animal.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/GIFs/harry-caray---good-point-1.gif

• Like 1

I don't know anything about hipsters or hippies, but thank you for the friend add, Goobs! :) :heart:

Oh, anytime!

Well, ok,adding you as a friend more than once would be kind of superfluous, but you know what I mean... :)

You added me twice. :) Once at 6:14 and once at 6:22. (And thanks!)

I don't know anything about hipsters or hippies, but thank you for the friend add, Goobs! :) :heart:

Oh, anytime!

Well, ok,adding you as a friend more than once would be kind of superfluous, but you know what I mean... :)

He must really like you.

;)

A hippie would never judge a person this way, let alone a group of people. :(

;)

From reading this thread I've realized that hipsters might be the only people in my generation* who understand that the definition of 'ironic' is not 'slightly coincidental'. Figures.

*apart from those of us who read

:D

A hippie would never judge a person this way, let alone a group of people. :(

;)

Yeah, well, what are ya gonna do? :P

Oh, anytime!

It's only because I ended up hitting the adding you as a friend button, then accidentally hitting it again where I de-freinded you. Then it said I had to wait 5 minutes before adding you as a friend again.

Either that or I like you twice. :P

Oh, anytime!

It's only because I ended up hitting the adding you as a friend button, then accidentally hitting it again where I de-freinded you. Then it said I had to wait 5 minutes before adding you as a friend again.

Either that or I like you twice. :P

:D

I tend to believe that all of our subcultures have common roots, are born in the same vein, and exist for the same reasons as those that came before them. Today's hipsters at first glance are completely different animals from the hipsters of the 1940's, and completely different from the hippies of the 1960's (and of today) but it's my theory that they are, at their core, merely different mutations of the same animal.

damn, serious response

• Like 1

I believe a hipster is more about rejecting most anything that is mainstream. A hippies core values revolve around peace and love. They aren't too concerned about following fashion trends or the latest cool indie band that no one has ever heard of. I've always found hippies to be much cooler to hang with. They don't seem to be as judgmental.

Here are the definitions from urbandictionary, and I think they are pretty spot on..

http://m.urbandictionary.com/#define?term=hippie

http://m.urbandictionary.com/#define?term=hipster

Oh no!!! I'm a hipster...

NOOoooo!!! [Echoes off into oblivion]

• Like 1

Can you like a band like Rush in a sincere (that is to say, non-ironic way) and still be a hipster?

http://i.imgur.com/yYavE.jpg?2

I think Roger, the hipster record shop guy, may be a Rush fan, but its hard to tell if he's being ironic.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

Can you like a band like Rush in a sincere (that is to say, non-ironic way) and still be a hipster?

http://i.imgur.com/yYavE.jpg?2

I think Roger, the hipster record shop guy, may be a Rush fan, but its hard to tell if he's being ironic.

Considering the sign is on a poster for Feedback, it leans towards the ironic.

Quite a few hipsters I know ( older hipster, we are talking early to mid 40s) LIKED Rush in their formative years, until they ' discovered ' Husker Du, Sonic Youth etc.. But most of them still have respect for Rush..Rush seems to be the one band from the Prog era that they still give props too

Edited by Xanadoood

Quite a few hipsters I know ( older hipster, we are talking early to mid 40s) LIKED Rush in their formative years, until they ' discovered ' Husker Du, Sonic Youth etc.. But most of them still have respect for Rush..Rush seems to be the one band from the Prog era that they still give props too

Cool that they still give props to Rush. So, at least some "real Hipsters" do really like Rush in a non-camp, non-ironic way.

Well I can sleep more soundly at night with that information :chickendance:

Oh, anytime!

He must really like you.

;)

:LOL:

I really love Hipster culture.

If I had it my way, I'd be wearing scarves of multi color with skinny jeans...I already have large frame glasses but I need a latte