Hippie vs. Hipster question

rushgoober

I'm having a bit of an identity crisis here. . . .I don't think I qualify as "hipster" (too old for one), but:

- I hate most pop music. Not because it's cool to hate it, though. I hate it because it sucks.

- I'm not a trend follower. Again, not out of any desire to be contrary; I just generally cannot be bothered. Celebrities and fashion and such just bore the shit out of me.

I'm just generally ignorant of a lot of things pop culture. Like that picture someone posted above? Zooey what's-her-face? I've heard the name. I know she is famous. But without the picture I wouldn't have the faintest idea what she looks like, nor do I know WHY she is famous. Nor do I care.

I mean, my mom was cooler when she was my age!

Oh and goober - you can't ever qualify as a "hipster", because for one thing, you admit to liking "Twilight". I'm going to guess that's an automatic lifetime "no admittance" policy for the Hipster Clan.

You're no hipster. Being a hipster is something you have to work very hard at.

http://www.wikihow.com/Be-a-Hipster

Hipsters do things "ironically". Drinking PBR is a perfect example of that.

DAMN!

Beat me to it.

Drinking a certain brand of beer just to be ironic? Really? :unsure:

Hipsters are post-ironic. :)

:laughing guy: Post-everything, as everything is so overdone.

I'm having a bit of an identity crisis here. . . .I don't think I qualify as "hipster" (too old for one), but:

- I hate most pop music. Not because it's cool to hate it, though. I hate it because it sucks.

- I'm not a trend follower. Again, not out of any desire to be contrary; I just generally cannot be bothered. Celebrities and fashion and such just bore the shit out of me.

I'm just generally ignorant of a lot of things pop culture. Like that picture someone posted above? Zooey what's-her-face? I've heard the name. I know she is famous. But without the picture I wouldn't have the faintest idea what she looks like, nor do I know WHY she is famous. Nor do I care.

Oh and goober - you can't ever qualify as a "hipster", because for one thing, you admit to liking "Twilight". I'm going to guess that's an automatic lifetime "no admittance" policy for the Hipster Clan.

You're no hipster. Being a hipster is something you have to work very hard at.

http://www.wikihow.com/Be-a-Hipster

That was excellent.

the worst is when hipsters like something I like

I've seen dinosaur jr twice, and for those who dont know they're a really loud fuzzy guitar rock band influenced mostly by punk rock, neil young and black sabbath, but for some reason a ton of hipsters have latched onto this band. so at their shows the crowd is split between hipsters who are too cool to move or even look like they're enjoying the music, and then long-haired hairy f*ckers who like to rock.

They've latched on to some metal too. The last Mastodon show I went to I was by some dude with a twirled up mustache who was dressed like Popeye and his girlfriend Velma from Scooby-Doo. I don't care about the look.....it's actually kind of funny to me like they're wearing costumes, but their attitude at shows is shitty. They just stand around looking annoyed. Drink your PBR and have a good time, brozzz.

Someone that refers to himself as a hipster is more than likely a wanker. Someone that refers to someone else as a hipster is more than likely misguided.

Someone that refers to himself as a hippie probably isn't one. Someone that is called a hippie may or may not be one at all...the scent of patchouli would be one deciding factor though.

I've seen dinosaur jr twice, and for those who dont know they're a really loud fuzzy guitar rock band influenced mostly by punk rock, neil young and black sabbath, but for some reason a ton of hipsters have latched onto this band. so at their shows the crowd is split between hipsters who are too cool to move or even look like they're enjoying the music, and then long-haired hairy f*ckers who like to rock.

They've latched on to some metal too. The last Mastodon show I went to I was by some dude with a twirled up mustache who was dressed like Popeye and his girlfriend Velma from Scooby-Doo. I don't care about the look.....it's actually kind of funny to me like they're wearing costumes, but their attitude at shows is shitty. They just stand around looking annoyed. Drink your PBR and have a good time, brozzz.

I had the opposite problem when I saw mastodon a few years back - dear god, these fratboy douchebags would not stop moshing the entire show. mastodon's not even moshing music to me

I had the opposite problem when I saw mastodon a few years back - dear god, these fratboy douchebags would not stop moshing the entire show. mastodon's not even moshing music to me

I hope they don't decide to latch on to Rush before this year's tour.

PoRtLaNdiA!!! Hipster Paradise!!!!!

:LOL:

Edited by kkdalloway
  • Like 1

http://i.imgur.com/Oedt0.png

• Like 1

Springfield was just taken over by the hipsters on The Simpsons last month... Homer becomes friends with a guy selling crazy donuts, convinces him to buy the house next door and he calls in all his hipster friends that they completely remake the city. Once Springfield is named "coolest city" they said "this place is played-out" :LOL:

Someone that refers to himself as a hipster is more than likely a wanker. Someone that refers to someone else as a hipster is more than likely misguided.

Someone that refers to himself as a hippie probably isn't one. Someone that is called a hippie may or may not be one at all...the scent of patchouli would be one deciding factor though.

I do think I'm somewhat of a hippie, but you wouldn't necessarily know it by looking at me. I don't wear pachouli (though I like the smell of it on the right person), but I have been known to wear essential oils like vanilla or my fave combination of sandalwood and amber, though I rarely remember to wear any of those.

http://i.imgur.com/Oedt0.png

:rfl:

the first person I see at a rush show IRONICALLY is getting his/her ass beat

I gotta say, the more I read about what a hipster is, the more ridiculous it sounds. I'm all for self-expression and whatever, but it just sounds so trendy and superficial, and more importantly, it doesn't sound like they have much fun.

well they do things they enjoy, like reading beatnik poems and listening to coffee house indie, but they cant look like they're enjoying themselves

I gotta say, the more I read about what a hipster is, the more ridiculous it sounds. I'm all for self-expression and whatever, but it just sounds so trendy and superficial, and more importantly, it doesn't sound like they have much fun.

well they do things they enjoy, like reading beatnik poems and listening to coffee house indie, but they cant look like they're enjoying themselves

It seems kind of like sailing - too much work to be any fun.

I also note that it is very much a white people thing. The jazz community that hipster-ism is supposedly copying probably laughs its collective ass off at these dwinks.

two articles i've read now mention drinking pabst blue ribbon.

funnily enough, i was walking in a local park yesterday and there were a bunch of people sitting on a blanket. one of them had an open 20 oz. bottle of pabst blue ribbon. my thought when i saw it was that it was a brand i haven't seen in probably a decade or two. maybe that guy was a hipster? in fact, there were a LOT of groups of young people (well, young to me - late 20's, early 30's i guess) hanging out together. maybe tons of them were hipsters, but honestly, i didn't pay that much attention to what they were all wearing. maybe now i will, and i'll see if i can identify them! apparently, however, that even though they strive to be part of this hipster subculture, they don't actually identify themselves as hipsters. odd. :unsure:

He was probably drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon because that's what he could afford, otherwise how could you drink it for taste?

two articles i've read now mention drinking pabst blue ribbon.

funnily enough, i was walking in a local park yesterday and there were a bunch of people sitting on a blanket. one of them had an open 20 oz. bottle of pabst blue ribbon. my thought when i saw it was that it was a brand i haven't seen in probably a decade or two. maybe that guy was a hipster? in fact, there were a LOT of groups of young people (well, young to me - late 20's, early 30's i guess) hanging out together. maybe tons of them were hipsters, but honestly, i didn't pay that much attention to what they were all wearing. maybe now i will, and i'll see if i can identify them! apparently, however, that even though they strive to be part of this hipster subculture, they don't actually identify themselves as hipsters. odd. :unsure:

He was probably drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon because that's what he could afford, otherwise how could you drink it for taste?

The hipsters on that Simpsons episode were drinking Duff Blue Ribbon at Moe's.

http://cdn.cstatic.net/images/gridfs/50c60898f92ea123ad003f0b/spring-field-hipsters.jpg

Edited by Lost In Xanadu

but, but, that's just crazy! you're allowed to have a good time, but you have to keep it all inside? :crazy:

This is me exactly. I do not know nor do I care.

I am actually in training to become a hermit I just have some logistics to work out.

I don't know anything about hipsters or hippies, but thank you for the friend add, Goobs! :) :heart:

Oh, anytime!

Well, ok,adding you as a friend more than once would be kind of superfluous, but you know what I mean... :)

:) :) I know what you mean! :) :)

• Like 1