Your Favorite Obscure Albums (that most people here have never heard)

rushgoober

Witch Cross - Fit for Fight.

The only album they ever made. I listen to it all the time.

Hey that album has just been newly re-released by Hells Headbangers this week, two days ago! :o Do I need it? :unsure: :blaze: :guitar:

Holy shit, you weren't joking. And on vinyl too! That stupid cover is gonna look awesome. Ducky, you just made my morning. Of course I'd recommend it.....NWOBHM style, sort of Priest-ish with bad production. I don't know, I always loved it. *goes to order*

I'm just listening to it now on youtube it sounds like Judas Priest with a 1975 era Geddy Lee on vocals! :o Especially on Nightflight to Tokyo! :haz:

Btw yeah the cover is excellent: werewolves and naked bimbos on a hillside, a castle in the distance with a full moon behind it in a spooky sky and some bloke with an axe! :LOL:

Hey what about the band members names? Alex "Savage" Nyborg Madsen??? :LOL: Mike "Wlad" Kock? :eh:

Good ol' Wlad Kock! :D

If I had that artwork as a giant painting, I'd hang it on the outside of my house. :D

:LOL:

Ok my copy is ordered! :haz: :NP: :blaze: :guitar:

My copy has arrived already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With a beautiful silver sticker! This is what I call quality presentation!

:NP: :NP: :NP: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :blaze: :blaze: :blaze: :haz: :haz: :haz:

Hey that album has just been newly re-released by Hells Headbangers this week, two days ago! :o Do I need it? :unsure: :blaze: :guitar:

Holy shit, you weren't joking. And on vinyl too! That stupid cover is gonna look awesome. Ducky, you just made my morning. Of course I'd recommend it.....NWOBHM style, sort of Priest-ish with bad production. I don't know, I always loved it. *goes to order*

I'm just listening to it now on youtube it sounds like Judas Priest with a 1975 era Geddy Lee on vocals! :o Especially on Nightflight to Tokyo! :haz:

Btw yeah the cover is excellent: werewolves and naked bimbos on a hillside, a castle in the distance with a full moon behind it in a spooky sky and some bloke with an axe! :LOL:

Hey what about the band members names? Alex "Savage" Nyborg Madsen??? :LOL: Mike "Wlad" Kock? :eh:

If I had that artwork as a giant painting, I'd hang it on the outside of my house. :D

My copy has arrived already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With a beautiful silver sticker! This is what I call quality presentation!

:NP: :NP: :NP: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :blaze: :blaze: :blaze: :haz: :haz: :haz:

That was fast! :haz:

That was fast! :haz:

Yeah I went with amazon rather than the record company. With amazon if it's stock it's here in a day or two. :hail:

never checked it out but I may, because copying yes isnt THAT shitty since yes is awesome

If it's done well enough, it ends up sounding like a long lost Yes album. It might not be quite THAT good, but it's well worth owning!

For example, here's the best King Crimson track they never recorded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMFxA65X8jE

Was work to stick with it, but around 3:50 it got very interesting. :cheers:

Interesting. I don't see a lot of difference between pre-3:50 and post 3:50 - it's all a guitar/mellotron masterpiece to me. Sure, the song builds, but it's all brilliant to me. BTW, no other song on that album sounds QUITE like that one, but the entire album (Heldon II: Allez Teia by Heldon) is EXCELLENT for general fans of 70's prog and 70's electronic music. Heldon is a French group that made a lot of cool albums, but often they're inconsistent and/or some songs tend to be a bit draggy and repetitive. Some albums are great all the way through, however.

This will put your knickers in a twist.

My most obscure band so far has scored 95.8% on the old obscurometer.

http://obscurometer.com/

ENJOY!

The wonderful Tusmorke, 98.3%! Hilarious.

Got a full 100% but ill be damned if i'lll write it on here. just not a cool enough band :o

No means no got 91.8 - procal harum 95.8 or something...huh##

'

I couldn't for the life of me think of an album that no one here would know.

Then, I remembered a band I used to listen to a back in the '80s. People down in Texas may remember them, but I don't know if they gained any notoriety outside of TX. I can finally get a copy and I've been complaining for years that I couldn't get a copy. I think it still stands up today.

The Judy's - Washarama http://wastedtalentr.../washarama.html

There's a strange one in the jungle. Freshen up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd-oC5eq7Ps

All the Pretty Girls is a great song too.

:)

I love Mostly Autumn. I don't have all their albums but from what I've heard, Passengers is my favorite.

A while ago, I listened to some Mostly Autumn, I think when an album of theirs was on Progstreaming. Good band, very melodic :)

I love Mostly Autumn. I don't have all their albums but from what I've heard, Passengers is my favorite.

A while ago, I listened to some Mostly Autumn, I think when an album of theirs was on Progstreaming. Good band, very melodic :)

It was probably their new one, Ghost Moon Orchestra, with Olivia Sparnenn on vocals. Great album!

Sorry but this seems kinda like a show-off thread..

Music knowledge among the members on this board is pretty vast. I've discovered a lot of cool bands by reading posts here! I would never assume I know of an band that no one else on here knows about.. Except maybe 'the Order of Chaos' which is a wicked local metal band here in edmonton that's slowly making a name for themselves in the world..

Music knowledge among the members on this board is pretty vast. I've discovered a lot of cool bands by reading posts here! I would never assume I know of an band that no one else on here knows about..

Ironically, you answered your own question. The point of this list (or any other generally) isn't to show off, but ideally so people who have some similar tastes as you might discover something new they haven't heard before. You say you've discovered a lot of cool bands by reading posts here. So have I, and that's what's great about sharing musical knowledge/tastes/lists. I have been here long enough, however, to know that I do have a certain number of albums I love that no one (or almost no one) here would know about. Just having fun making lists and talking about music! :)

• Like 1

Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians: Globe Of Frogs

Reminds me alot of Floyd's Syd Barrett

Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians: Globe Of Frogs

Reminds me alot of Floyd's Syd Barrett

I've often heard that Robyn Hitchcock is reminiscent of Syd Barrett. I haven't heard a lot of his stuff, but I remember not really hearing it so much. Syd was pretty hard to duplicate... not like he was trying to do that, mind you.

Music knowledge among the members on this board is pretty vast. I've discovered a lot of cool bands by reading posts here! I would never assume I know of an band that no one else on here knows about..

Ironically, you answered your own question. The point of this list (or any other generally) isn't to show off, but ideally so people who have some similar tastes as you might discover something new they haven't heard before. You say you've discovered a lot of cool bands by reading posts here. So have I, and that's what's great about sharing musical knowledge/tastes/lists. I have been here long enough, however, to know that I do have a certain number of albums I love that no one (or almost no one) here would know about. Just having fun making lists and talking about music! :)

Ya I guess I did come full circle and answer my own damn question there.. f*k I'm awesome! lol

That reminds me.. There's a Doors album called 'Full Circle' that probably no one on here owns, including me.. Probably not worth owning anyway though :P

Ya I guess I did come full circle and answer my own damn question there.. f*k I'm awesome! lol

:LOL: :cheers:

That reminds me.. There's a Doors album called 'Full Circle' that probably no one on here owns, including me.. Probably not worth owning anyway though :P

Yeah, The Doors made two albums post-Jim Morrison. Big Brother and the Holding Company made two albums post-Janis Joplin. The Velvet Underground made one album post-Lou Reed. None of these are held in very high regard, and no, I don't own any of them!

Since this thread is all about the obscure-o-meter now...

I got a 99.1% and a 94.0% on local musicians - a good friend of mine Ben Sultan, and a band called Lifted that formed on my campus.

is one of Ben's songs that I actually recorded the drums for. Inspired by Jessica Watson, the youngest person to ever sail solo across the world:

and

is a song by Lifted - they sound a bit like John Mayer Trio in this one:

93.6% for one of my favorite jazz vocalists,

. She is a former backup singer with Steely Dan, and in addition to her solo career she teaches at Berklee. One of the finest voices in jazz, IMO

Yggdrasil only fetched 84.7%, but that's because it was the wrong Yggdrasil - the stats are based on the metal band, not the single-album psychadelic/electronic artist (very similar in sound to Shpongle) by the same name. I'm convinced that the proper one would have had a much higher obscurity rating.

One of my favorite living classical composers,

, fetched 89.0% He's well-known in the classical world for his conducting, but his compositions are relatively obscure.

, a band made up of the former members of Kaddisfly, scored a surprisingly high 93.2%

For the curious, Rush is 41.2% obscure, Geddy Lee is 79.8% obscure, and Alex Lifeson is 84.3% obscure.