Things Your Teacher Did For You

Mr. Not

3) In 7th Grade I established a kind of friendship with my Math tutor who was also a teacher at my school (though I didn't have him). We went to see Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film For Theaters together. It was awesome.

2) High School, Junior year... In study hall, the place was obnoxiously loud and chaotic. Half the people wouldn't even work, just converse and goof off (they were in there for credits)... A friend of mine and I brought an idea to one of the teachers, and he gradually accepted to the point where it became routine... We got to study in his office while he did work on his laptop. He'd be at his desk and we would take in two personal desks. Over time, we called it the Jazz Lounge, because he'd play various Jazz stations on Pandora and we'd serve ourselves hot tea. That was the best thing ever... Why isn't there a Jazz Study Lounge at my College?

1) In High School, I was a careless idiot. Let me get that out of the way. I ended up failing basic algebra several times for several reasons. During my senior year, my History teacher had a free period, and I needed one more semester of Math in order to graduate. He would give me papers, give a 10 minute explanation of the new material, answer my questions, then have me do the work and bring it back completed two days later. With him as a teacher, I was inspired to put in an effort and pass, as I felt I was proving myself rather than just boring myself with repetitious problems (though I was still doing that too).

The guy is a genius...

Just look at him. You know he's a genius.

http://i.imgur.com/6hS6H.jpg

Ha!!! Teachers. What a joy. :bitchslap: I had a great respect for them UNTIL I went to high school and then I learned that they are just as good or bad as the students are:

I got thrown out of my Senior English class by my teacher, who was rumored to have a drinking problem.

I was trying to explain a sentence using one of our given vocabulary words, and she had me repeat it three times and she said she still didn't understand what I was saying, so I said (in front of the whole class) -

"Yeah - Have another drink!"

and she said, "GET OUT...GET OUT OF MY CLASSROOM, NOW"

and I took a nice walk down to the Dean's office (who happened to be 'seeing' one of my friends (!!! What?!!) at the time (they got married!)) and hung out until the end of the class and went to my next class. Did not get in trouble.

I laugh now, but I was really obnoxious once in a while when I was younger....thank god it was only once in a while...

So far all good experiences, I see :P :sarcastic:

Good experiences is the theme of the thread, after all.

I had the luck of having what I would consider good teachers throughout grade school (with the exception of one English teacher).

In college I had a great Analytical Chemistry professor. I ended up doing an Independent study course with him where I learned to solder and build circuit boards (to build test equipment).

I also took a course in 'The Literature Of Rock and Roll.' Once a month, the professor would have class at one of the bars in town where we would have a poetry slam (mine was on Led Zeppelin). At the end of the semester, she had a party at her house for the class. There was a live band playing which was my favorite local band. One of my assigned tasks at about 2:30 am was to go into her bedroom, locate her stash, and roll joints for those who were still there.

My freshman English teacher was the best I've had. He loved the Simpsons and South Park and we would always get on that subject! He showed one of the Monty Python films and we got to write an essay on it, that was the best. His last name was Daniels and everyone called him Jack Daniels, anyways he had a son this summer and named him Jackson :LOL: he was one of those teachers that always wore bowties, he was great. I respect all my teachers, but he definately stood out.

My Human Geography teacher, again freshman year, was too epic! All of my fellow classmates and I had so much respect for her, she rarely got mad at anyone. I still go and hang out in her classroom if I'm excused from any if my classes now, and she basically lets me go up and teach with her. She wants me to go and help her do some community service planning, and being as she's such an amazing person, I'll most likely do it. She was even my "client" when I was designing a house for my Engineering courses. She loves all her former student and always called me one of her favorites, which means a lot, considering how many different courses she teaches.

My German professor, who's taught me for about 3 years, now is amazing. She's hilarious, laid back, and very wise.

She once told me that if a professor, university, or some big wig thinks that what you're interested in learning about is not "elevated" enough for them, they're full of it. That's when I decided to change my major from Secondary English Education to English and German, and I've never regretted that decision.

My high school English teacher. He was wonderful. In 11th grade, we did a poetry unit where he assigned each of us a poem and we had to eat, sleep, breathe, and live the poem for a month and then report on it. He gave me Coleridge's "Kubla Khan." It changed my life. I am who I am today because of that poem. Years later I ran into him just in the course of going about my day, and I asked him why he chose that poem for me. He said it was one of his favorites and he just had a feeling about it and what it might mean to me. Chokes me up just thinking about it.

And don't get me started on my high school choir instructor. Again, that man changed my life in ways so profound I can barely put it into words.

All of my college professors. Just wonderful human beings.

Good teachers, no matter what subject they teach or what their "classrooms" look like, are extraordinarily important human beings!!!

In high school attendance was super strict. I was always sleeping during chemistry. During my last year the teacher let me not show up and whenever other staff asked she just told them I was working on the robot for the robotics competition (I was build team captain). I would actually go into the room and do a few things, but I usually took that time to go home early and she knew it.
  • Like 1