2nd Encore? Is it time for one?

losingit2k

Should rush have a 2nd encore  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Should RUSH have a 2nd encore?

• Yes
    • No

I think its time for RUSH to have a second encore. I mean really. There's no group I know that works harder or is more deserving of it.. Yeah I know that they usually plan the one encore but wouldn't it be great of we can actually have them play a second encore without them planning it? A true encore at that! I mean after they've finish their first encore and Geddy Waves and says " Good night, hope to see ya again sometime!" and the outro video finishes, for us to just stay there and start chanting "One More!" "One more!" the lights come on and we don't budge, We just stay there screaming " One more!","One More!", five minutes go by, Alex is spraying more Rogain on his scalp, Geddy is swallowing a spoonful of Honey with Lemon juice, Neil has hopped on his bike and we are still there yelling "One More!"," One More!"

Then the light come back down, the crowd erupts into a frenzy of cheers and Neil, Alex and Geddy come back out and jump into Closer to the Heart and just jam the hell of it just for us!. Wouldn't that be awesome.

Basically, we the fans demand and Encore and actual true to life encore. Not this prepared tacet we've become used too.

:notworthy: :clap: :ebert: :codger: :ebert: :clap: :notworthy:

Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 1

Encores have been a joke for as long as I have been going to concerts and I am old, as rocketom says they are really just part of the setlist and a traditional thing. This isn't just with Rush, it's with everybody. As for multiple encores, those are really just as planned as any others. This summer I saw Dead Can Dance with my wife who had a planned 3 encores and it was ridiculous.

I agree with all comments above. I can see bands these days (not just Rush) sitting around discussing what the "encore will be for this tour."

What I would really like... is after the planned and rehearsed encore, the band comes back out (if the crowds asks for it) and plays a different or random song each night. I know that Rush already plays for nearly 3 hours, but would 4 more minutes really make a difference to the overall scheme of things?

We, the fans would love it!

• Like 1

Encores are a formality at this point. Real encores are the band performing something because the crowd asks for it. Unless absolutely nobody claps Rush will always play their encore because it's a planned part of the set. I would rather have larger unbroken parts rather than waiting for them to determine that a significant amount of applause has been given for them to start playing again.

Don't they already do a second encore?

The first set is essentially a regular rocker's "show." Second set is an extended, kick-ass encore and then the last few diddy's are the second encore.

Do these poor guys have to play an 8 hour show to satisfy folks? Sheesh!

Wouldn't it also be nice if the guys, after playing for three hours, offered valet service after the show? Puh-leeze.

The first set is essentially a regular rocker's "show." Second set is an extended, kick-ass encore and then the last few diddy's are the second encore.

Wouldn't it also be nice if the guys, after playing for three hours, offered valet service after the show? Puh-leeze.

I think you missed the whole point of an encore. :codger:

Edited by losingit2k

is there one

Absolutely, an encore was an unplanned performance added to the end of a concert, from the French "encore", which means "again", "some more"; multiple encores were not uncommon. Encores originated spontaneously, when audiences would continue to applaud and demand additional performance from the artist after the concert had ended. This was an honor for the artist. Which meant their performance was superb and deserved to be extended. I think in today's concert the encore has been deluted` with the planning of it. I agree that artist should have additional songs ready for such an occassion but not automatically create the occassion cause its the thing to do. I feel RUSH would really appreciate and be honored if a venue would actually request a true encore.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Edited by losingit2k

Also need to mention the fact that seconds after the 1st encore is done, Neil is outta there and his bus is on the way to the next venue.

I guess Alex and Geddy could do an acoustic impromptu 2nd encore.

• Like 1

No. I think you missed the point of the illustration of absurdity.

So true about encores, they are no longer what history paints them as. Shows are scripted and timed now, an encore is just a part of the setlist, not a truly improvised moment(maybe you Springsteen fans know better since he may be the last artist who might still wing it some nights).

But Rush delivers so much that when the lights go up after their first "encore," I never complain nor believe they need to add one. Yet Fountainsofsyrinx has a point-if the boys could have ready say a half dozen "off-the-wall" tune and varied them from night to night, that would go over pretty well I think.

Edited by jjgittes

On opening night, I have to admit that at one point, I thought we were going to get 3 sets; 80s set, CA set, older set. Shorter, briefer sets than maybe in the past. At first, i looked at it as 2 sets and an encore. It's not. It's like calling that plastic flower a rose. It's planned. It's a 3rd set.
  • Like 1

Also need to mention the fact that seconds after the 1st encore is done, Neil is outta there and his bus is on the way to the next venue.

I guess Alex and Geddy could do an acoustic impromptu 2nd encore.

The voice of reason!

:codger:

No. I think you missed the point of the illustration of absurdity.

I don't think I drew anything? What illustation? What are you smoking Amy Farrah Fowler?

:smoke:

I've always thought encores were stupid since they are parts of the actual setlist...

I've only been to a handful of shows where they actually DID come out and play an unplanned song...the one in particular was Pink Floyd in 1987 at JFK Stadium in Philly. The set ended with Run Like Hellm and Gilmour came back on stage, told them to turn out the lights, and they played Shine On You Crazy Diamond, which they didn't have scheduled at that point.

Some jam bands seem to jumble things up, and come out...I saw Gov't Mule do it one time at a show as well. But as a rule the "encore" is a waste for the most part.

I can tell you that in my 25 years of concert going, I have seen one legit second encore. Van Halen, Molson Amphitheater, August 19 1995. VH thanked everyone after the regular tour encore, and walked off the stage. Lights went on, Sammy came back out as people were leaving and said...hey Edward, Edward, get back out here, let's do one more. Eddie was on the big TV screen and looked totally out of it and confused. Alex came out and started the drums for Panama. Check out the set lists for that tour. Legit.

It would be nice to see more...but then everyone would want one...and so it would be planned.