Renaissance, progressive rock

Any fans? This band is growing on me. I can sense some Yes influence in this group.

I love LOVE their song "Northern Lights" from 1978. Apparently, it was their highest rated single of their career.

Oh well, here is the song on YouTube.

Great band. Turn of the Cards is a phenomenal album and its one of my favorites. I also have Novella and Scheherazade and Other Stories, which are both great as well. Annie Haslam is one of my favorite singers. Its amazing how her voice is still in top form. I saw them last June and she was a bit off for the first few songs, but once she was warmed up she sounded just like she did on the albums.

Unfortunetly, the guitarist, Michael Dunford, just passed away in November.

I noticed the ABBA similarity, which may be why I like it. And yes, she's a great singer. It seems that they didn't catch on as fast as Yes or Genesis though and they only really lasted throughout the 1970s.

I just gave the song another listen from the video...yes, I still don't like them.

Their older stuff is much better than that song. I haven't heard the album that its from, but it sounds like they went in a much more commercial direction. Have you heard Turn of the Cards?

Honestly, I can't fathom why I'm not more into this band, as I really should be. :huh:

I thought I was only familiar with one of their albums, but it turns out I'm pretty familiar with two - Prologue & Ashes Are Burning, and both are pretty excellent. I have Scheherazade and Other Stories, Turn of the Cards & Novella, but never got around to listening to them more than once.

This is an error on my part that must be corrected. :yes:

The song I posted above is on their album "A Song for All Seasons". It has a sound a bit like "Wondrous Stories". Not surprising since the two songs were around at the same time.

ashes, cards, and scheherazade are the best

also live at carnegie hall is pretty cool

I could've seen renaissance but I only know 2 people who like them, and neither of them had the money to go

and it's no surprise these guys never got famous, it's weird nerdy medieval-sounding shit. it's great but music that sounds like it's from blackadder will never catch on in the united states

could've seen renaissance but I only know 2 people who like them, and neither of them had the money to go

Why didn't you just go alone? I'd miss a lot of shows if I had to find people to go with.

Aint that the truth. It's hard work trying to make the case.

and it's no surprise these guys never got famous, it's weird nerdy medieval-sounding shit. it's great but music that sounds like it's from blackadder will never catch on in the united states

But people like Rihanna do. It's so sad.

I just gave the song another listen from the video...yes, I still don't like them.

Their older stuff is much better than that song. I haven't heard the album that its from, but it sounds like they went in a much more commercial direction. Have you heard Turn of the Cards?

Yes. I have heard Prologue, Ashes, and the Live at Carnegie as well. I remember Prologue as being better than the tune above, but there was something about her voice that I never warmed up to. My friends loved them and her. It was never my cup of tea. Talented band and excellent music, just not for me.