Can you post 70s fans please clarify for me ?

tullfan

The professor states,

I enjoyed the mid 80's set list, different is good. Really get tired hearing the required same " popular" must play songs tour after tour. Can't understand this late in the game why many loyal Rush fans didn't feel the same way. But oh well to each his own..

This is the defense I hear time and time again about my disappointment about Rush not playing their 70s stuff. Are all the songs before Signals popular must play songs? Just trying to understand your point of view.

Thanks

I saw my first RUSH gig nearly 32 years ago.

If you had told me back then that I'd be gearing up for more shows in 2013 I'd have said you were crazy.

I'm just glad that my favorite band is still putting on spectacular shows.

The fact that the setlist this time around is excellent is just the cherry on top.

• Like 4

How many years ago was 1976? Anyway, that was the year I saw my first Rush show... I wouldn't have dreamed I'd be seeing them in 2013. So, they could play ANY GODDAM SONGS THEY WANTED TO and I'd still go and support my favourite band. And, I'd love every minute, even during "Time Stand Still," my least favourite Rush song. Why? Because ANY Rush is good Rush.

Stop whining about the set list. You're going to give yourself an aneurysm.

Now, go make yourself some Kraft Dinner or something...

• Like 3

How many years ago was 1976? Anyway, that was the year I saw my first Rush show... I wouldn't have dreamed I'd be seeing them in 2013. So, they could play ANY GODDAM SONGS THEY WANTED TO and I'd still go and support my favourite band. And, I'd love every minute, even during "Time Stand Still," my least favourite Rush song. Why? Because ANY Rush is good Rush.

Stop whining about the set list. You're going to give yourself an aneurysm.

Now, go make yourself some Kraft Dinner or something...

I agree completely...and to think we just got one of their very best albums in Clockwork Angels....life is good!!!
  • Like 1

rush rules sorry

It's true.

No reason to apologize.

The fact that many of us like the setlist shouldn't be seen as a condemnation of the pre-Signals material. A lot of the older concert staples have been overplayed, and it's nice to hear many previously overlooked songs in their place.

The professor states,

I enjoyed the mid 80's set list, different is good. Really get tired hearing the required same " popular" must play songs tour after tour. Can't understand this late in the game why many loyal Rush fans didn't feel the same way. But oh well to each his own..

This is the defense I hear time and time again about my disappointment about Rush not playing their 70s stuff. Are all the songs before Signals popular must play songs? Just trying to understand your point of view.

Thanks

You are aware the reason Rush doesn't play their 70s stuff anymore is because Geddy's voice simpley can't sing those high notes every night on tour. They haven't been playing much 70s material since the 80s, so this is hardly anything new. If Geddy was confortable singing that stuff regularly i'm sure more of it would have been in the sets through the years.

No, not all the songs before Signals are must play songs. The songs people are talking about are ones like Closer To The Heart, Freewill, Red Barchetta, Limelight, Distant Early Warning and Roll The Bones. All these songs have been regulars for many tours but weren't played this year. That's what fans are talking about when they say they're glad to see a lot of the set regulars put to rest for a tour in favor of playing tunes that haven't been done in many, many years.

I hope that explination clears things up a bit for you.

The professor states,

Thanks

Absolutely not. But expecting the band to heavily favor the first 5-6 years worth of songs and under-represent the following 30+ years is pretty nervy if you ask me. They didn't write all that post-1980 material and release it thinking "let's just milk our 70's material for all it's worth forever, and not worry about whether any of these songs are worth ever playing live."

• Like 1

The professor states,

Thanks

Absolutely not. But expecting the band to heavily favor the first 5-6 years worth of songs and under-represent the following 30+ years is pretty nervy if you ask me. They didn't write all that post-1980 material and release it thinking "let's just milk our 70's material for all it's worth forever, and not worry about whether any of these songs are worth ever playing live."

well said...and to think that this tour we've got most of Clockwork Angels performed live...plus I immensely enjoyed PoW again because of this tour.

Ditto. I barely listened to CA by the time I saw them in Newark (loaded it into the iPod which s on perpetual shuffle of about 1400 songs, so the CA songs only pop up every so often, and I usually only listen to it while driving). I loved hearing those songs live, even barely knowing any of them. They went over incredibly. I was not one bit disappointed in the show. In fact, an hour before the show I had found out that a scalper was basically trying to rip me off for a small fortune for meet and greet passes that never came thru (my bank came thru for me and I got every cent back just before Xmas). I was completely bummed out going to my seat. To add mild insult to injury, my vipnation seats were in the 15th row—as far back as possible for the VIP package I bought from them. Anyway, all my cares vanished when the band launched into the first song, and I had a great time for the entire show.

The professor states,

Thanks

To answer the question, no. That said, Most of the popular setlist staples do come from the pre-signals era. I mean think about it: Working Man, 2112, Closer to The Heart, La Villa, TSOR, Freewill, Tom Sawyer, Limelight, and YYZ are all basically staples and they are also considered to be the most essential songs in the repertoire. If they are going to play pre-signals material, it's probably going to be these songs.

Why is that? Why don't we get Hemispheres, Anthem, Xanadu or any of the other early-career fan favorites? Because Geddy has a hard time singing that stuff these days. I mean, he has a hard enough time getting through the older songs that do play, so any extras seem out of the question to me.

That's why they are playing this setlist. This allows them to play a unique set with tons of rarities and deep-cuts, but without performing material that is vocally out of Ged's range. I'd rather them play some great sounding 80's songs, than perform 70's stuff in a way that doesn't do the material justice.

Besides, does anyone ever stop to think that, maybe the band doesn't like playing 70's stuff anymore? Maybe, they actually prefer their 80's output and enjoy performing that stuff. Crazy notion.

Edited by Dscrapre
  • Like 2

Did I bug ya? Didn't mean to bug ya... :P

Really don't have to explain in great lengths, since many have responded that share my point of view.

I'm the one that's puzzled by not just you( as you can see by my quote"Many loyal Rush fans") who were so hostile to the multiple set list from a time period that they rarely touched on in depth like they did this tour. Just like to understand YOUR point of view.

Hell I love 70's Rush just as much as you!! Circumstances on S&A tour was a major highlight for me. You see I'm a fan of there entire career ..no I don't like every thing they done not by a long shot, but Im open minded enough and evolved my taste as the band progressed in new directions. It's been a enjoyable ride right up to the modern masterpiece Clock Work Angels. :ebert:

• Like 1

So, here's an actual answer from me instead of "rush rules".

For what seems like forever now, I have heard this complaint from fans of Rush and other "progressive" bands. I have never understood the criticism. By definition, "progressive" music progresses. The bands that play the material progress which means the new material progresses which means the band progresses and so on...(hopefully for many, many years as we have been so blessed).

I consider myself a Rush fan but not necessarily a "progressive" rock fan. Some of the great "prog" bands of the 70s never really succeeded (imo) at progressing beyond their 70s sound - which makes the label kind of an oxymoron. Yes, Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull have have been through several incarnations, yet many (myself included) prefer the 70s material and lineups.

For me, it has always been about Rush. There's something about these three guys making modern music (pun intended) that has enchanted me since I first heard them. Rush has evolved and has never been complacent. Just like other successful artists known for redefining themselves (Prince, Madonna or U2 for example), Rush is a master of the craft. It is the music of my life as their changing styles have always seemed to align with the events in my life. I've always been able to connect with their music - even when they explored different musical directions.

That's my take on it.

Peace, :heart: and :rush:

• Like 2

I saw my first RUSH gig nearly 32 years ago.

If you had told me back then that I'd be gearing up for more shows in 2013 I'd have said you were crazy.

I'm just glad that my favorite band is still putting on spectacular shows.

The fact that the setlist this time around is excellent is just the cherry on top.

I couldnt have said that any better...The same goes true for me. :rush:

• Like 1

I've heard that Geddy finds their pre-2112 material embarrassing so I doubt we'll be hearing any of it any time soon. I'd like to hear some of it, but I'd rather see them play what they enjoy because they tend to play those songs better. Tom Sawyer on this tour feels like a going-through-the-motions experience on all the boots I've been hearing. Seeing it live was a better experience, but they were clearly way more into the newer songs.

I always prefer for Rush to represent every Album, however that would never happen. They just have way too much material and most fans will prefer Songs for MP and PeW. I'm Glad they now have Clockwork Angels to choose from since these songs are much easier for Geddy to produce live. Would I prefer to hear older gems and Epics.. Absolutely. But given a choice between new songs and no songs. I'll take the new songs anyday. And Clockwork Angels is such a great album that those older songs weren't not missed at all this tour. I would like to hear Jacobs Ladder make an appearance again. I don't think that song is difficult for Geddy to sing at all.

:codger:

Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 1

Did I bug ya? Didn't mean to bug ya... :P

Really don't have to explain in great lengths, since many have responded that share my point of view.

I'm the one that's puzzled by not just you( as you can see by my quote"Many loyal Rush fans") who were so hostile to the multiple set list from a time period that they rarely touched on in depth like they did this tour. Just like to understand YOUR point of view.

Hell I love 70's Rush just as much as you!! Circumstances on S&A tour was a major highlight for me. You see I'm a fan of there entire career ..no I don't like every thing they done not by a long shot, but Im open minded enough and evolved my taste as the band progressed in new directions. It's been a enjoyable ride right up to the modern masterpiece Clock Work Angels. :ebert:

No, you did not bug me. I just don't understand when I say I want to hear old songs that the response has nothing to do with what I am saying.

From my point of view the Rush set list have been lacking the music that I love by them since the Moving Pictures Tour. Sure they throw a bone here and there. But that's about it. I agree Geddy can't sing like he used to, but I can think of many old songs that I like that he could do and with a string section !!!!!!!

I know Rush rules and it's a sin to say anything bad about them on this board, but I think that the replies should at least have something to do with what I post.

Anyway, just listened to Moving Pictures tonight and enjoyed very, very much.

Have a good one.