Clockwork Angels tour attendance figures

zappafrank

The figures can be found here (not reproducing them here given the space they'll take up).

For the most part things look pretty good, but there were definitely a few places where the attendance was 2- to 3000 people fewer than venue capacity, and in one case over 5000 people fewer (Auburn Hills).

Either they're losing popularity or ticket prices were too high.

* Show Date: September 24

* Show Venue: Target Center

* City/State: Minneapolis, MN

* Attendance: 8,013

* Capacity: 10,652

* Gross Ticket Sales: $561,972

The Target Center has a capacity of 20,000: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_Center So that means they didn't sell enough tickets and had to cut the arena in half!!!!!! WTF?!?! But in 2010, they sold the MN. State Fair out which holds over 15,000! I just don't get it.

Edited by fonzbear2000

Sweet. I attended the 2nd largest grossing and the largest attended show in Newark.

I wonder if this affect the extended leg in 2013? Maybe they skip Michigan if there was such a poor attendance

As a fan who attended the Palace and the Q Arena shows, attendance at those shows (over 8,000 tickets each) was better than the opening show in New Hampshire (due to capacity) so there would be no reason to skip Michigan or Ohio.

The Target Center has a capacity of 20,000: http://en.wikipedia....i/Target_Center So that means they didn't sell enough tickets and had to cut the arena in half!!!!!! WTF?!?! But in 2010, they sold the MN. State Fair out which holds over 15,000! I just don't get it.

Well, state fair shows will be better attended due to the larger number of people that go to the fairs in genreal. There were probably a lot of people wandering around the fair that day and decided to go to the show that night for the hell of it. Not to mention it was summer and people are more up to going out and doing things on a nice summer night. Rush playing all of MP also had a huge impact on ticket sales as well. These state fairs can draw hundreds of thousands of people from all over the state, so the more people roaming around, the more likely a concert on a given night might be better attended.

I saw them at the NY state fair in Syracuse in 2010 and the fairgrounds were packed beyond belief that day. Not just by a lot of Rush fans like me and my brother who traveled there to see them but just people from all around New York state and probably some people coming down from Canada as well just to go to the fair. They were making announcements over the PA's on the fairgrounds all day about the Rush show and that no doubt probably helped to sell a few more tickets. If the show wasn't a sellout than it was damn close to it. These state fairs have a drawing power all their own, so it's not hard to get why it would be better attended than an arena show by the same band in the fall.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Sat, September 22: Scottrade Center - St. Louis, MO

Attendance / Capacity: 10,772 / 10,942

Gross Ticket Sales: $790,134

It sure looked like it was sold out to me.

:huh:

Considering there was less than 200 unsold tickets, it's not hard to see why it would look sold out since that's pretty close to being one.

The Target Center has a capacity of 20,000: http://en.wikipedia....i/Target_Center So that means they didn't sell enough tickets and had to cut the arena in half!!!!!! WTF?!?! But in 2010, they sold the MN. State Fair out which holds over 15,000! I just don't get it.

You are forgetting that seating capacity is significantly less for a concert than for a hockey or basketball game since the area behind the stage and where the stage sits is roped off. The ScottTrade Center in St. Louis seats around 20,000 for hockey but in this thread is listed as seating 10,942 for the Rush concert, similar to the Target Center.

The seating capacity figures do seem odd. Last year at the" Q" Time Machine sold out capacity 14,970. This year for C Angels, 8,025/ seating capacity 10,383. Lower expectations? :huh:

All i know is the tour books completely sold out and there not reprinting anymore.. damn it!!!

I was at the Bristow Show. Best Show Evar!!!! Despite it not being sold out, the fans were pretty into the concert, even the CA and not so popular songs. BTW, Dreamline was awesome!

There are probably many factors influencing the "non-sold-out" shows but Michigan and Nevada have two of the highest unemployment rates(forget the official figures, knowing people who live in those states and Ohio, I hear the "real" unemployed levels are about 14-16% there), so I guess that is part of the explanation for those cities being less than capacity. Edited by jjgittes

Also to consider is that attendance is not always equal to number of tickets sold. If scalpers jack the price up too high, they may eat some tickets, and those seats will stay empty even though the ticket was purchased. I know for a fact that my brother had a ticket for Newark, but got stuck in such horrible traffic in Philly that he couldn't get to the venue until the show was over, So there's a little evidence that these numbers are not exactly totally accurate (or my brother sold his ticket and lied to me). Add also that a percentage of fans were really disgruntled with the setlist (even though many of them suffered through the show anyway, and then complained about it instead of just staying home). Edited by HalfwayToGone

Yes, that is true about state fairs.

Another thing we must remember is that since 2007, Rush has toured the USA every year except 2009 and not everyone can afford the high ticket prices over and over again. We even skipped them last year for that very reason.

Edited by fonzbear2000

I expect it would. it's pretty hard to see 170 empty chairs in a sea of over 10,000 people!

I expect it would. it's pretty hard to see 170 empty chairs in a sea of over 10,000 people!

Yeah, the place looked packed. My guess is that there were a lot of single seats left.

If the tour didn't turn a profit they would not undertake it. That is why they sell seats so far in advance these days. You also have to take into account that they have toured three straight years and will most likely be back in North America next year for more shows. We love them, but to some folks it is going to seem like overkill. Bring it on, I want them back in Nashville and I am hoping for a chance at great seats.

There are probably many factors influencing the "non-sold-out" shows but Michigan and Nevada have two of the highest unemployment rates(forget the official figures, knowing people who live in those states and Ohio, I hear the "real" unemployed levels are about 14-16% there), so I guess that is part of the explanation for those cities being less than capacity.

There's some truth in that, layoffs and reduced work hours were worse last year in this area then 2011. Hardest hit was manufacturing which is still a big employer in NE Ohio. I work at a steel mill and my wife dairy plant, things have picked up recently but there were some bad months in 2012 late summer to early fall. Seems to me some of the locations were Rush sold out they haven't played in recent past tours. So oversaturation also could of been another factor why the low turnout along with hard economic times.(Detroit,Pittsburgh,Cleveland)... "Seen them last year, things are tight can't really afford it going have to pass on this one" Edited by softfilter

I did not go because I hated the set list and the prices were to high. I am sure I am not the only one. Also Geddy said something that really bugged me the other day on an interview. He was talking about the A-B set lists and saying how it's good for them so fans will go to more than one show. I know this is a business and a big one for Rush, but come on Geddy that's some BIG MONEY to not play songs on one date just to bait the fanatic into spending more money. I know you guys are going to kill me on this, but is there any part of your fandom that can see how bogus this is?

I enjoyed the mid 80's set list, different is good. Really get tired hearing the required same " popular" must play songs tour after tour. Can't understand this late in the game why many loyal Rush fans didn't feel the same way. :crazy: But oh well to each his own.. :huh: Edited by softfilter
  • Like 1

I enjoyed the mid 80's set list, different is good. Really get tired hearing the required same " popular" must play songs tour after tour. Can't understand this late in the game why many loyal Rush fans didn't feel the same way. :crazy: But oh well to each his own.. :huh:

Can you tell me what you mean by "Popular" songs. Is every song they did before 1982 popular to Rush fans? That's the era I like, but I am not sure if I would call every song from that era popular or overplayed, do you ?

I did not go because I hated the set list and the prices were to high. I am sure I am not the only one. Also Geddy said something that really bugged me the other day on an interview. He was talking about the A-B set lists and saying how it's good for them so fans will go to more than one show. I know this is a business and a big one for Rush, but come on Geddy that's some BIG MONEY to not play songs on one date just to bait the fanatic into spending more money. I know you guys are going to kill me on this, but is there any part of your fandom that can see how bogus this is?

I disagree. There are already fans who go to more than two shows per tour, and having the set change up a little makes it less monotonous for fans who want to see them over and over. I think the comment above taken out of context may seem like a greedy move, but I'm guessing he tacked that onto a more lengthy discussion of the setlists, and it's just another justification for doing it among others (such as making it less monotonous for the band as well as the fans).