R40 Tour Setlist Discussion

Snow-Dog2112

Even though its over a year away, I'd like to start a discussion about what will and won't be included in the R40.

One theory that I have is that this tour will contain 2112 in it's entierty. Not just the song, the album.

If that means having to downtune songs like Something For Nothing, then so be it.

If there is an "R40" type of tour, my guess is they pull something big out, like Cygnus X1 and Hemispheres back to back, TFOL, something like that. I really hope that they play a lot of HYF on the next tour though, all the keyboard stuff sounds ridiculously good with their more modern sound.

In order to make everyone happy, they'll do a medley.

Then a setlist similar to R30 with Far Cry and CA material.

But the songs from CA are so popular with fans, Headlong, The Garden, Caravan, they'd have to play those.

I would sure like to have a few pulled out. Cygnus bk1 would be a top request, AFTK, By Tor, Something for nothing. The R30 setlist was pretty sweet, and I think it should have made most happy. At this point I feel there is some songs that really can't be left out: TSOR, Subdivisions, La Villa, 2112 with finale, YYZ. I know I will get flamed for it but Red Barchetta is big for me, I would drop TS or Limelight to keep it. Maybe FM radio where you live has ruined it, but I've never heard it on the radio so it's not ruined for me. Keep Bravado.

I've got a cool idea...what about at least one song from every album?

SET ONE

R40 Overture: Driven -- Ghost Rider -- The Main Monkey Business -- Headlong Flight -- 2112: Grand Finale

Tom Sawyer (Moving Pictures)

Finding My Way (Rush)

Fly By Night (Fly By Night)

Bastille Day (Caress of Steel)

2112: Overture/The Temples of Syrinx (2112)

Closer to the Heart (A Farewell to Kings)

Xanadu (A Farewell to Kings)

The Trees (Hemispheres)

Freewill (Permanent Waves)

YYZ (Moving Pictures)

SET TWO

Limelight (Moving Pictures)

Subdivisions (Signals)

Losing It (Signals) --> I've seen a lot of people say that Rush would never play this now because of its theme, but if Geddy can play "Red Sector A" and Neil

Red Sector A (Grace Under Pressure) can play "The Pass," then I think they can most certainly pull "Losing It" out of the vault!

The Big Money (Power Windows)

Mystic Rhythms (Power Windows)

Force Ten (Hold Your Fire)

The Pass (Presto)

Roll the Bones (Roll the Bones)

Leave That Thing Alone (Counterparts)

—Drum Solo--

Resist (acoustic) (Test for Echo)

Test for Echo (Test for Echo)

One Little Victory (Vapor Trails)

ENCORE

Far Cry (Snakes & Arrows)

Caravan (Clockwork Angels)

The Spirit of Radio (Permanent Waves)

Edited by Disk98
  • Like 1

Would really like to see and hear Fly By Night and I do believe Ged can still sing it. My opinion however is that I have about a 20% chance of that happening. The fact that it was in the VW commercial has raised that from about a 5% chance IMO.
  • Like 1

I've got a cool idea...what about at least one song from every album?

SET ONE

R40 Overture: Driven -- Ghost Rider -- The Main Monkey Business -- Headlong Flight -- 2112: Grand Finale

Tom Sawyer (Moving Pictures)

Finding My Way (Rush)

Fly By Night (Fly By Night)

Bastille Day (Caress of Steel)

2112: Overture/The Temples of Syrinx (2112)

Closer to the Heart (A Farewell to Kings)

Xanadu (A Farewell to Kings)

The Trees (Hemispheres)

Freewill (Permanent Waves)

YYZ (Moving Pictures)

SET TWO

Limelight (Moving Pictures)

Subdivisions (Signals)

Losing It (Signals) --> I've seen a lot of people say that Rush would never play this now because of its theme, but if Geddy can play "Red Sector A" and Neil

Red Sector A (Grace Under Pressure) can play "The Pass," then I think they can most certainly pull "Losing It" out of the vault!

The Big Money (Power Windows)

Mystic Rhythms (Power Windows)

Force Ten (Hold Your Fire)

The Pass (Presto)

Roll the Bones (Roll the Bones)

Leave That Thing Alone (Counterparts)

—Drum Solo--

Resist (acoustic) (Test for Echo)

Test for Echo (Test for Echo)

One Little Victory (Vapor Trails)

ENCORE

Far Cry (Snakes & Arrows)

Caravan (Clockwork Angels)

The Spirit of Radio (Permanent Waves)

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

:givebeer: :givebeer: :givebeer: :givebeer: :givebeer: :givebeer:

For an R40 I would think it would be a good idea to start where they left off from R30. Play a medly of songs from MP to Presto then a song from Roll the Bones. I would suggest:

The Camera Eye (The intro)

Digital Man

Kid Gloves

Middletown Dreams

Lock and Key

Superconductor

then play Dreamline

I would also suggest an alternative route of playing the most popular songs off each album, but that would take out so many songs I would want to hear in full. I also excluded the songs from fear as I really think the fear series should be played.

• Like 1

For an R40 I would think it would be a good idea to start where they left off from R30. Play a medly of songs from MP to Presto then a song from Roll the Bones. I would suggest:

Digital Man

Kid Gloves

Middletown Dreams

Lock and Key

Superconductor

then play Dreamline

I would also suggest an alternative route of playing the most popular songs off each album, but that would take out so many songs I would want to hear in full. I also excluded the songs from fear as I really think the fear series should be played.

I surely Hope to hear Kid Gloves and Lock and Key once again!

:codger:

Digital Man

Kid Gloves

Middletown Dreams

Lock and Key

Superconductor

then play Dreamline

Lock and Key maybe, Kid Gloves?!? ummmm....don't think so. Be nice though
  • Like 1

I don't think they will play much from the pre-2112 era because it's hard for Geddy to sing like that now. I would really like to hear some pre-2112 stuff like Anthem, Bastille Day, Fly by Night, In the Mood, Finding my Way, By-tor and the Snowdog just to name a few. I would really like to hear them in their entirety but if they get played, it will probably only be in medley form like on R30. Besides pre-2112 stuff, Hemispheres (at least the prelude), A Farewell to Kings, Jacobs Ladder, some other stuff on 2112 besides the title track, like Something for Nothing. I would also like to hear some stuff from the 80s. I think they covered Power Windows really well on the CA tour but I would like to hear some stuff from Signals (Digital Man, Chemistry, New World Man,...), Grace Under Pressure (Distant Early Warning, Between the Wheels, The Body Electric...), and maybe Mission from Hold Your Fire. Some stuff from the 90's and the 2000's like The Pass, Show Don't Tell, Ghost of Chance, Roll the Bones, Bravado, Animate, Between Sun and Moon, Cold Fire maybe, Test for Echo, Driven, Ghost Rider, One Little Victory, The Main Monkey Buisness, The Larger Bowl, Armor and Sword, Headlong Flight, The Anarchist, Carnies, And The Garden, maybe some more stuff from CA. Thsi is way to big for one setlist, but just some of the stuff I'd like to hear.
  • Like 1

Digital Man

Kid Gloves

Middletown Dreams

Lock and Key

Superconductor

then play Dreamline

Lock and Key maybe, Kid Gloves?!? ummmm....don't think so. Be nice though

What are you talking about TM? Kid Gloves has one of Alex best leads ever on it!

:codger: :Alex: :codger:

I don't think they will play much from the pre-2112 era because it's hard for Geddy to sing like that now. I would really like to hear some pre-2112 stuff like Anthem, Bastille Day, Fly by Night, In the Mood, Finding my Way, By-tor and the Snowdog just to name a few. I would really like to hear them in their entirety but if they get played, it will probably only be in medley form like on R30. ............

Agree with you except I do believe Ged could sing Fly By Night. It's not like Finding My Way where the voicals are waaaaaay up there. Doubt they will, but I remain hopeful for that song. Besides, it's one of my girlfriend's fav Rush songs so I'd like her to see it done live too. Oh, and they did By-Tor on the VT tour IIRC so a chance you'll get that one.

I don't think they will play much from the pre-2112 era because it's hard for Geddy to sing like that now. I would really like to hear some pre-2112 stuff like Anthem, Bastille Day, Fly by Night, In the Mood, Finding my Way, By-tor and the Snowdog just to name a few. I would really like to hear them in their entirety but if they get played, it will probably only be in medley form like on R30. ............

Agree with you except I do believe Ged could sing Fly By Night. It's not like Finding My Way where the voicals are waaaaaay up there. Doubt they will, but I remain hopeful for that song. Besides, it's one of my girlfriend's fav Rush songs so I'd like her to see it done live too. Oh, and they did By-Tor on the VT tour IIRC so a chance you'll get that one.

I think Geddy could probably be able to sing Fly By Night if he really tried but it would be a challenge for him. I agree, they played By-Tor on the Vapor Trails tour so I think they might play that one.

Digital Man

Kid Gloves

Middletown Dreams

Lock and Key

Superconductor

then play Dreamline

Heck, give me Turn The Page!!

• Like 2

Digital Man

Kid Gloves

Middletown Dreams

Lock and Key

Superconductor

then play Dreamline

I c

Digital Man

Kid Gloves

Middletown Dreams

Lock and Key

Superconductor

then play Dreamline

I completely agree what a little kick @ss gem Turn the Page is. Great solo by Alex as well.

• Like 2

This R40 Setlist would be awesome: First call it R40 - The Time Machine Too Tour!

Set 1:

Intro Video ends in 1974 :R40 Instrumedley:

(Finding My Way, By-Tor & The Snowdog, The Necromancer, A Passage to Bangkok, Cygnus X-1, Hemisphere (Prelude)

Limelight

Caravan

Cut to the Chase

New Song (Precipiter)

Mal-Nar

Driven (With Bass Solo)

Kid Gloves

New World Man

Clockwork Angels

2112 (Entire)

Set 2:

2nd Video Intro Clock ends in 1980

(Pemanent Waves in its Entirety)

New Instrumental (A'Dieu aux Fans)

Distant Early Warning

Test For Echo

Red Barchetta

The Anarchist

YYZ

Drum Solo (Skin Trade)

Alex's Solo/ The Garden

Xanadu (Entire)

Encore:

Show Don't Tell

Tom Sawyer

Headlong Flight

• Like 3

Digital Man

Kid Gloves

Middletown Dreams

Lock and Key

Superconductor

then play Dreamline

I c

Digital Man

Kid Gloves

Middletown Dreams

Lock and Key

Superconductor

then play Dreamline

Heck, give me Turn The Page!!i

I completely agree what a little kick @ss gem Turn the Page is. Great solo by Alex as well.

just a great sounding bass tone on the whole damn thing....Geddy really evolved during PoW/HYF era.
  • Like 1

Digital Man

Kid Gloves

Middletown Dreams

Lock and Key

Superconductor

then play Dreamline

I c

Digital Man

Kid Gloves

Middletown Dreams

Lock and Key

Superconductor

then play Dreamline

Heck, give me Turn The Page!!i

just a great sounding bass tone on the whole damn thing....Geddy really evolved during PoW/HYF era.

I agree I love the bass sound/ Mix on POW/HYF! I really wouldn't mind hearing another album produce by Peter Collins!

• Like 1