Geddy Lee Or John Paul Jones?

RUSHHEAD666

Geddy Lee V. John Paul Jones!   

49 members have voted

1. 1. Who Is The Best Bassist/Keyboardist/Bass Pedalist?

• John Paul Jones
    • Geddy Lee! He Can Sing Too! (Although The Masses Say He Can't!)

Very good comparison. I went with Geddy only because he has produced 38 Years of music when John only about 11. The Celebration day CD/DVD was very impressive. They really should tour with Jason on the skins.

:codger:

Very good comparison. I went with Geddy only because he has produced 38 Years of music when John only about 11. The Celebration day CD/DVD was very impressive. They really should tour with Jason on the skins.

:codger:

Check JPJ's discography. I think you underestimate his productivity. :smoke:

Edited by LaFellaStrangiato

. I only rank John Entwistle, Chris Squire, and maybe Paul McCartney ahead of Geddy as greatest bassists in rock history.

You obviously don't play bass! Or you're joking?

I was going to say the same thing!

The only bass player that is as talented as Geddy is Dave LaRue. Actually I like all those guys but lets face it...they are just not in Ged's league!

Edited by malm_51

. I only rank John Entwistle, Chris Squire, and maybe Paul McCartney ahead of Geddy as greatest bassists in rock history.

The only bass player that is as talented as Geddy is Dave LaRue. Actually I like all those guys but lets face it...they are just not in Ged's league!

How about Jerry Peek? :popcorn:

This can go deeper but I'd probably be getting off topic and into other realms lol.

Edited by calirush

This topic brings to mind for me a key difference I often think about between these two - what I will call their presence within the sound of the band. A somewhat unique thing about Geddy and Rush, and something I love, is how forward the bass often is in the mix, and how much the bass is often an integral part of a song. It's right there, up front, providing another layer right alongside the guitar, or sometimes even taking the lead instead of the guitar. With JPJ and Zeppelin, you may chalk it up to just being a different time, different methods of production, a difference of his personality, whatever, but the fact is that in so many songs JPJ is just completely buried in the mix, and I often have to struggle to try to hear what he's even playing. Now, with Zeppelin being what it is and with Jimmy Page on guitar, you can say that's inevitable, and you'd have a point. Even in Them Crooked Vultures, he does some great work, but you often have to hunt for it to even hear it. It may just be that he prefers to stay more in the background and follow the more traditional bass player role. I don't know. But to me, it's an important point.

This...and the fact that they approach the bass in a completely different way. Even if JPJ´s bass was higher in the mix, I don´t think he would shred half as much as Ged does. Not because he can´t do it, but it´s just not his style.

I simply cannot choose one over the other, they were equally important to the sound of their bands, although JPJ was very underrated throughout Zep´s career.

How about Jerry Peek? :popcorn:

This can go deeper but I'd probably be getting off topic and into other realms lol.

Ha Ha! how 'bout Andy West?

I think we are now off topic and need a new thread!

Edited by malm_51