LED ZEPPELIN'S GREATEST ALBUM OF ALL TIME! "HOUSES OF THE POLL-Y"

RUSHHEAD666

THE GREATEST LED ZEPPELIN ALBUM EVER!  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What Is Your All Time Greatest Studio Album Recorded By The Mighty Led Zeppelin?

• "Led Zeppelin"
    • "Led Zeppelin II"
    • "Led Zeppelin III"
    • "Led Zeppelin IV" ZOSO
    • "Houses Of The Holy"
    • "Physical Graffiti"
    • "Presence"
    • In Through The Outdoor"
    • "Coda"
    • Forget These Studio Albums! It's All About "The Song Remains The Same" For Me!
    • "Celebration Day" Rules! Zeppelin Was Better With Jason Bonham On Drums!
    • Zeppelin Is Old And Outdated! Give Me Jason Bonham's Albums With UFO And BCC!!!!

I'm surprised III hasn't garnered more votes - like any. It has always been a favourite of mine - I love the texture. It is extremely rich and deep with so many elements contributing to the tracks. I think Since I've Been Loving You is Zeppelin blues at its finest and I love hearing Bonham's drum pedal squeaking. III is the only Zeppelin album that I still play end-to-end.

This list is a tough list for me to compose since I through PG are so crazy good. II and IV are probably only so low on my list because they are so overplayed. ITTOD, Presence and Coda are pretty interchangable to me. I find Carouselambra unlistenable (I removed it from my iPod altogether - one of the few tracks in my music library to receive that sad distinction) but enjoy the rest of ITTOD. Coda was outtakes, but I have learned to enjoy some of the material over time. Presence...for me, still meh.

Side III of Physical Graffiti comes really close to their finest work, imo. In the Light (being my favourite Zeppelin song - that riff!), Bron-Yr-Aur, Down By The Seaside, Ten Years Gone - four song perfection to me.

Album though is III, imo.

My list:

III

PG (side 3)

HOTH

I

II

IV

PG (the rest of it)

In Through The Out Door (w/o Carouselambra)

Presence

Coda

• Like 1

It's nice to see Presence get some love! It's actually my favourite Zep album. I was ecstatic when they played For Your Life in 2007, and now I'm loving hearing it on the official release.

My ranking:

Presence

Physical Graffiti

Houses of the Holy

IV

III

II

I

In Through The Out Door

Not really sure where I'd put Coda, but it wouldn't be too high. Other than ITTOD, I'm a pretty big fan of latter day LZ. I actually like a good chunk of ITTOD, but it's just not as quality as the rest of their output, IMO.

plus, I always thought it was funny how people raved about the clash for putting reggae on a rock album when zep did it years before

Yes but what you're not saying here is that the mighty Rolling Stone bird cage liner, er magazine hated Zep back in their heyday. But, The Clash were the ultimate in cool. And why would a pile of shit publication like that allow mear facts to get in the way of their (Jann Wenner's actually) personal agenda?

BTW, I simply cannot vote in this poll as I just can't single out one the first 6.

Edited by driventotheedge

I'm surprised III hasn't garnered more votes - like any. It has always been a favourite of mine - I love the texture. It is extremely rich and deep with so many elements contributing to the tracks. I think Since I've Been Loving You is Zeppelin blues at its finest and I love hearing Bonham's drum pedal squeaking. III is the only Zeppelin album that I still play end-to-end.

Pagey's acoustic side has always been vastly underrated. What a great move to release this gem of an album after the sheer blues-rock assault of the first two.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2udx929.jpg

• Like 1

Pagey's acoustic side has always been vastly underrated. What a great move to release this gem of an album after the sheer blues-rock assault of the first two.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2udx929.jpg

I agree. Page is wonderful on this album. I really like JPJ's tonality - so subtle at times, so in your face at others - he is such a diverse instrumentalist. This album is a true gem, especially placed where it is in the catalog, imo.

:cheers:

I just bought the new "Drummer" magazine with Bonham on the cover! Damn he was great! It's like he was part of the Droogies in "A Clockwork Orange" Dim?

Perhaps if Bonham was in the movie they could have called it A Clockwork "Tangerine!" Get it? LOL!

Sorry bad joke! Couldn't resist.

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

"Presence" is cranked right now. I might have to take it over PG.

It's good but PG has the edge :D-13:

For all the bashing ITTOD gets (and rightly so), All My Love and I'm Gonna Crawl are classic Zep slices :madra: I know Jimmy really disliked AML, pfft, whatever :nya nya:

I have to go with II. I'll put that album, start to finish, against any other album released by anyone.

After that I'd go with s/t, HOTH, III, IV, Graffiti, ITTOD and Presence.

As an aside, if Physical Graffiti were boiled down to a single album, it would rank up there with their best work. As it is, too much "so so" stuff for me.

IV deserves to be placed higher, but personally I (like a lot of people I'm sure) am a little tired of it.

Interesting Rick.

Would you say the same thing about "Use Your Illusion One And Two by GNR?

If Axl and the boys cut the filler out of that double album would be better than Appetite?

I love PG as a whole!

Interestingly enough, Earl, I almost mentioned Illusion in my post. Yes, I think it's best work is better than Appetite. I like the lesser songs too, like I do with PG, but if I'm being fair, they dilute the strength of the album overall.

I read somewhere that George Martin pleaded with The Beatles to turn "the white album" into a single disc. I'm glad they didn't. It's my favorite studio album of all time

I think Houses Of The Holy is a pop record!

A tribute album, maybe. :) Nods to Marley, James Brown. No Quarter is my fab off this one, due to the groove and the fact that Plant's vocals are more natural. Houses has too many altered hi-pitch vocals for my liking.

For the poll I picked IV, which is hard to beat wire-to-wire.

I love Zep IV but it is overplayed.

Would you compare Moving Pictures to Zep IV in a corporate sellout sort of way or not?

A group achieves near musical perfection, it catches on, gets bought by the millions, gets tons of play. Can't fault the band.

Both albums hold up great over time, and bring new generations of fans to their music. Overplayed albums? Sure. Overrated? :no:

• Like 3

Zep IV all the way - yeah, it's the obvious choice, but it's like choosing Who's Next - it's just a perfect album. Every song is an absolute classic. That could be said about other Zep albums too, but c'mon - Zep IV! :haz:

:goodone:
  • Like 1

Houses of the Holy for me :haz:

No Quarter rocks! :haz:

This album is perhaps most notable among Zep's others for its diversity. No Quarter is a standout, for sure.

Havent really listened to Zeppelin in years but they were my favorite band at one time. My favorite albums are the first one, and physical graffiti. Presence and Coda are under-rated imo.

BBC sessions and the boxed set are worth mentioning too, some cool bonus tracks on there!

My biggest complaint about Zep is their live show. Zeppelin live is definitely not Rush live if you know what I mean!

wait, Jason played with UFO?? didn't know that.. maybe because I only listen to the Schenker stuff.. I gotta check that out.

a friend of mine partied with Jason once. he's a pretty nice friendly guy apparently. I heard John was a pretty devoted dad too.. r.i.p.

oh and I gotta say, I hate it when people say "zoso"! it's not a word, just a symbol that resembles a word.. I know you already know that but it's my pet peeve! lol

I haven't voted yet and for good measure. I just listened to "Led Zeppelin II." EPIC although perhaps overplayed by radio stations.

It could be their best.

Why did the band go a different way with Led Zeppelin III? They knew they were getting to commercial and wanted to tone it down a bit?

Then then went right into IV! A COMMERCIAL HEAVY SMASH!!!!!

I don't get it.

Please advise.

Havent really listened to Zeppelin in years but they were my favorite band at one time. My favorite albums are the first one, and physical graffiti. Presence and Coda are under-rated imo.

BBC sessions and the boxed set are worth mentioning too, some cool bonus tracks on there!

My biggest complaint about Zep is their live show. Zeppelin live is definitely not Rush live if you know what I mean!

I have a good buddy of mine who saw Zeppelin many times live and he said that they always played like shite! Page was always too wasted and he could never play a clean guitar solo.

THAT SUCKS!

wait, Jason played with UFO?? didn't know that.. maybe because I only listen to the Schenker stuff.. I gotta check that out.

a friend of mine partied with Jason once. he's a pretty nice friendly guy apparently. I heard John was a pretty devoted dad too.. r.i.p.

oh and I gotta say, I hate it when people say "zoso"! it's not a word, just a symbol that resembles a word.. I know you already know that but it's my pet peeve! lol

Sort of like a pet peeve of mine! It's NEIL PEART! NOT NEIL "PURT!"

I've written about UFO a ton on here! No doubt about the Schenker stuff being the best!

What is your take on the Paul Chapman UFO Era? I think it's excellent!

I'm not to big on the Atomic Tommy UFO!

I think the Vinnie Moore stuff is above average. The Jason Bonham albums with UFO are very good.

Check them out!