NinjaDiscoPunch

More importantly, a Hemispheres/YYZ related question. A silly technical question, but it's bugging me a little.

First, Hemispheres. So, at the minute-59 mark of the song, we hear a distinct twinkling sound with a galloping kind of rhythm, like a triangle or something. And Neil Peart did have triangles on his set around that time...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7134/7526506168_efc527af22_z.jpg

But there are other percussion items on his set that could make a similar sound.

• He had crotales mounted atop his tubular bells...
  • http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2097/2126130903_e0cd40a8fd_z.jpg?zz=1
  • ...there was a set of orchestra bells in the ballpark of his timbales and concert toms...
  • http://stupuola.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/neil-peart.jpg

...and possibly the bell of his ride cymbal (although I am skeptical of this). I am leaning more towards the crotales, but they seem inconvenient due to their placement, since at the 2:06 mark he moves over to the hi hats with the same rhythm, and that would be a considerable distance to travel in such short time! The orchestra bells would seem more likely, but then again...

• Another question: What note/pitch/tone/whatever is it exactly? I would like to make the addition of the mystery percussion to my current kit, but I want to know exactly what it is I need to buy so I don't end up with a kit bigger than Neil's! I know crotales each have a different tune/note, so I want that one, not thirteen! Is there any way we can figure it out if we haven't already?

The same goes for the sound at the very beginning of YYZ. I just can't think of what it is. I am leaning more towards triangle on this one, but the question still stands...

For YYZ it's an F# if I'm not mistaken

It's a Crotale that he had mounted between his hi-hat and snare...for Hemispheres, not sure...it MAY be the same note, but I don't have the music at hand anymore (loaned my book to a guitar player several years back, and never got it back)

Okay, I think I know what we're talking about now.

It's not super-detailed, but you can see what does appear to be a crotale in this shot here:

http://andrewolson.com/Neil_Peart/drums/images/NeilPW.jpg

(I mean aside from the ones blatantly in front of the camera like they just don't care!)

It's between the hi hat, the leftmost rack tom, and the lowest concert tom.

Looks like it's mounted to his stage left bass hop the same way his splash and crash are mounted on the front, with a little clamp and metal arm. I use something similar to attach a 5" cowbell to my bass drum.

For YYZ it's an F# if I'm not mistaken

So a single-note crotale in F#, huh? It does appear to be the same in both songs, (on YYZ it moves around from speaker to speaker, though).

I'll probably take my hardware and related questions to a drumming forum of some sort.

Thanks guys!

Edited by NinjaDiscoPunch

Since I have access to the PW/MP/ESL kit I can positively say that the single crotale was mounted on a bass drum hoop mounted L arm stand made by Ludwig in the 60s/70s.

I'm not a drummer by any means, but after listening to the sound in each song, I'm convinced the pitch is about a half-step lower in YYZ than in Hems. Perhaps it's the production or the fact that the one in YYZ is moving between speakers, but they do not sound like the same pitch in the studio recordings.

I'm not a drummer by any means, but after listening to the sound in each song, I'm convinced the pitch is about a half-step lower in YYZ than in Hems. Perhaps it's the production or the fact that the one in YYZ is moving between speakers, but they do not sound like the same pitch in the studio recordings.

I agree, I don't think it's the same. YYZ's is slightly (but noticeably) higher.

I agree, I don't think it's the same. YYZ's is slightly (but noticeably) higher.

Could it be the same instrument but recorded at different speeds?

Nah, triangles have more of a gong quality. More clang than a focused note.

Lolz, actually I think it's the other way around, but at least we both agree they're not the same pitch.

The part in Spheres mentioned sure sounds like a triangle.

Live he played it on the crotale - I assume he recorded it that way

Lolz, actually I think it's the other way around, but at least we both agree they're not the same pitch.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's what I meant...you knew what I meant to say. YYZ's a little lower. Isn't that what I said?

:smoke: