Geddicorns

GeddyRulz

I was reading through the book "Rush and Philosophy" today and came across a word that was new to me. In a chapter written by female fan Melissa Beck, the author casually refers to herself as a "Geddicorn."

In a footnote, Beck explains the meaning. According to Urban Dictionary, a "Geddicorn" is a mythical creature (like a unicorn), an attractive woman who willingly goes to Rush concerts without being dragged there by a guy.

Ha-HA!

So, you New World Women of Rush, you female fans, you're Geddicorns, eh?

I like it.

Someone had just mentioned his little girl wearing a "Geddy corn" shirt at a Rush concert in another thread. I though that was cute and if that is a phrase that anyone wants to use to express their love for the band (and Geddy, in particular - something I can *totally* relate to), I have no issue with that name.

I don't identify with it though. I am not mythical. I have never been dragged to a Rush show in my life (what self respecting Rush fan would?) We women are no different than you men in that regard.

I don't consider myself a Geddycorn. I'm a Rush freak who loves Geddy and I happen to be a woman (and part Cylon). I am also a socially well adjusted, but a rather major, geek, dork, nerd...I don't know exactly what word fits. A difference of degrees?

:)

Why do men find it so inconceivable that women would like Rush, and not just because they find Geddy, Neil, and Alex attractive? They're an incredible band, and from what I gather, they're pretty respectful of women. As a female fan, it's refreshing not to have sexist lyrics or ideology constantly thrown at you.
  • Like 4

I like the idea of women Rush fans having a special title, but I'm not a big fan of 'Geddycorns'... I dunnot, it just kinda sounds a little... corny. (But that's a corny thing to say, I know!)

I like the idea behind it, but really, there are quite a number of us showing up at Rush concerts now. And not just to check out the cute guy on bass or whatever, but to actually enjoy the music, which is, to put it simply, awesome. We're a growing group, I fear - the bathroom lines to the womens' at concerts are getting longer. :(

• Like 1

The articles constantly calling female fans "rare" and/or "nonexistent" are so inaccurate. I understand that there may not be as many female Rush fans as males, but that doesn't make us mythological beings. Women are regular human beings, too, no matter what kind of music they like. Someone once pointed out that it was a woman, Donna Halper, who helped Rush get a deal in America. Without her, Rush may not have gotten a break.

I like the idea of women Rush fans having a special title, but I'm not a big fan of 'Geddycorns'... I dunnot, it just kinda sounds a little... corny. (But that's a corny thing to say, I know!)

I like the idea behind it, but really, there are quite a number of us showing up at Rush concerts now. And not just to check out the cute guy on bass or whatever, but to actually enjoy the music, which is, to put it simply, awesome. We're a growing group, I fear - the bathroom lines to the womens' at concerts are getting longer. :(

I agree. Geddicorn conjures an image of a unicorn with Geddy's head on it walking around a stadium or something. That is pretty corny. :LOL: