The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey feedback.

The Owl

I loved it. It was made so that when all three films are done you will be able to see all SIX films and have the whole story so I understand why they added to it so as to tie into The Lord Of The Rings movies. The 3D was incredibly well done and I felt transported to that world. My only complaint was the rabbits pulling the sled bit when they were being chased by the Orcs. It looked cartoonish and silly, but that is the only (very small) problem I had with it. Suspend your disbelief and enjoy. I can't wait until 2015 or so when you can get all six movies in a box set in director's cuts so I can take some time off and see the whole thing. I'm guessing each movie will top out at over 3 (or maybe 4 hours) so it will take a couple of days to see it all.

I watched it last night on DVD (not 3-D) and I agree that the rabbit sled crap was dumb. I wasn't particularly fond of the CGI either. It seems in today's movies everybody just overdoes the CGI. I have a hard time taking in what is going on. There's just too much happening...and it's so often fake looking. Azog The Pale Orc looked totally fake and so did The Great Goblin...although that tumor thing he had hanging off his neck was gross. I would have thought movie makers would have learned their lesson from the Star Wars fiasco a few years ago to not focus on the CGI so much. It F'ed up Star Wars and although The Hobbit wasn't nearly as bad a that (and the story is a million times better) it's that one unavoidable thing that really ruined The Hobbit for me. I'm not saying I didn't like it, I'm a huge Rings geek, but I felt it just went overboard.

Can't wait to see Smaug in the next flick.

• Like 1

Just got back from an IMAX/3D showing. The scope of this movie is insane...and it's just the first of a trilogy!?

There were definitely a few moments that were a little overblown, even by Peter Jackson standards. The whole scene in the mountain with the goblins...that got kinda absurd, although I guess it made for an excellent contrast with the Riddles in the Dark (I agree, that scene was fantastic). The exposition at the beginning of the movie was incredibly well done IMO. Tolkien's backstories can get pretty dry (I never managed to finish The Silmarillion...) but they were brought to life beautifully.

Martin Freeman is killing it as Bilbo, and Ian McKellen is just taking it to a whole other level from the LotR movies.

Completely agree! My problem with the Goblin Town section was that they just looked so gross in 3D especially.

I loved it. It was made so that when all three films are done you will be able to see all SIX films and have the whole story so I understand why they added to it so as to tie into The Lord Of The Rings movies. The 3D was incredibly well done and I felt transported to that world. My only complaint was the rabbits pulling the sled bit when they were being chased by the Orcs. It looked cartoonish and silly, but that is the only (very small) problem I had with it. Suspend your disbelief and enjoy. I can't wait until 2015 or so when you can get all six movies in a box set in director's cuts so I can take some time off and see the whole thing. I'm guessing each movie will top out at over 3 (or maybe 4 hours) so it will take a couple of days to see it all.

I watched it last night on DVD (not 3-D) and I agree that the rabbit sled crap was dumb. I wasn't particularly fond of the CGI either. It seems in today's movies everybody just overdoes the CGI. I have a hard time taking in what is going on. There's just too much happening...and it's so often fake looking. Azog The Pale Orc looked totally fake and so did The Great Goblin...although that tumor thing he had hanging off his neck was gross. I would have thought movie makers would have learned their lesson from the Star Wars fiasco a few years ago to not focus on the CGI so much. It F'ed up Star Wars and although The Hobbit wasn't nearly as bad a that (and the story is a million times better) it's that one unavoidable thing that really ruined The Hobbit for me. I'm not saying I didn't like it, I'm a huge Rings geek, but I felt it just went overboard.

Can't wait to see Smaug in the next flick.

Smaug will be great. But during so much of this first Hobbit film I kepy asking...why? Such a great story.

Another highlight for me: you know those magnificent, sweeping, beautiful shots of the New Zealand Middle Earth landscape from the LotR movies (especially The Two Towers)? Yeah, they've been completely outdone. Sure, some of it's CGI, but it's absolutely breathtaking regardless.

what is CGI?

Another highlight for me: you know those magnificent, sweeping, beautiful shots of the New Zealand Middle Earth landscape from the LotR movies (especially The Two Towers)? Yeah, they've been completely outdone. Sure, some of it's CGI, but it's absolutely breathtaking regardless.

what is CGI?

Computer-Generated Images