The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey feedback.

The Owl

SPOILER WARNING: FOR WHOLE THREAD

Well, I just got back from seeing The Hobbit : An Unexpected Journey, and I have to say I really enjoyed the film...

Or should the film be titled "The Hobbit:AUJ+ LOTR appendices" ?

If you are a Tolkienite there is alot to enjoy.. and the "+Appendicies " is welcome.... and on that. When the Hobbit was decided to be a trilogy I admit the idea kind of confused me, in how they were gonna make a novel not much longer than any one of the LOTR installments into three films of it's own.. I assumed they would be drawing from the LOTR appendices when it was just 2 films, but The Hobbit:AUJ draws heavily from that material as well, and is integrated nicely into the film... doing such does slow the pacing down a bit, especially early on, but it entertaining nonetheless.... That being said, I enjoyed that as someone who has read these novels several times and enjoy seeing the flashbacks of the Dwarf War, Rhadagast the Brown, and the takeover of Erebor...etc was great, but could be construed as flashbacks that slow the pace down to the general filmgoer.... but screw them, I say bring it on!

One complaint I did have, and one that many have had is the overuse of CGI, whereas LOTR had mostly practical effects, especially with the Orcs/Goblins, were mostly real stuntmen in costume, The Hobbit is almost exclusively CGI... but for CGI it is top knotch though...

Oh and the Riddles in the Dark scene........... PERFECT!

Just got back from an IMAX/3D showing. The scope of this movie is insane...and it's just the first of a trilogy!?

There were definitely a few moments that were a little overblown, even by Peter Jackson standards. The whole scene in the mountain with the goblins...that got kinda absurd, although I guess it made for an excellent contrast with the Riddles in the Dark (I agree, that scene was fantastic). The exposition at the beginning of the movie was incredibly well done IMO. Tolkien's backstories can get pretty dry (I never managed to finish The Silmarillion...) but they were brought to life beautifully.

Martin Freeman is killing it as Bilbo, and Ian McKellen is just taking it to a whole other level from the LotR movies.

Just back from the IMAX/3D version...pretty great I think. Making this book into 3 movies was a stretch at first blush but they've done a remarkable job so far. And it ended exactly how I thought it should and the opening was genius.

This high frame rate in 3D experience takes an adjustment. It's so...real...it's distracting. Freeman is spot on, Armitage just kills as Thorin. I am so happy that Elrond is not portrayed as the angry elf that stole Christmas. That whole White Council scene was perfect.

Perhaps because I'm not as enamored of this book as LOTR it seems to me that the plotting/writing is just better and yet somehow much more Tolkien in a sense. Talk of Gondolin, the weaving together the back stories...Radagast's encounter with the Necromancer. All extremely entertaining. Is it Oscar worthy cinema? Nah. Probably not. But dang fun. Can't wait for part 2.

Just got back from an IMAX showing. Thought it was pretty incredible. I liked it more than the LOTR films. Whereas those films all feel overlong to me, The Hobbit demonstrated excellent pacing, and felt shorter despite being roughly the same length as the other entries. Freeman is perfect as Bilbo.

Don't listen to the crop of critics who decided to pick on this film—it's awesome!

Interesting that there aren't more osts about this movie. Have people not seen it yet?

I haven't, and a big reason why is the length of the film. The book is fast paced, and I was curious how they'd get three movies from it. With the first one clocking in at just under three hours, I'm afraid it'll be bloated with CGI and overdone action sequences. Sounds like Tolkien fans are loving it, though.

Interesting that there aren't more osts about this movie. Have people not seen it yet?

I haven't, and a big reason why is the length of the film. The book is fast paced, and I was curious how they'd get three movies from it. With the first one clocking in at just under three hours, I'm afraid it'll be bloated with CGI and overdone action sequences. Sounds like Tolkien fans are loving it, though.

There have been numerous complaints about the film's length among professional critics. But I personally could not disagree more. I thought the pacing was tight; it didn't feel that long. I simply think it's trendy among critics to pick on this film. Not a conspiracy, just a sort of bandwagon bash-fest, as though the franchise was due for a takedown. It's all nonsense. The film is great!!!

I loved it, in fact I could not believe it was over so fast. I would go see it again...today...I just might.
  • Like 1

For pro critics/Hollywood types that think 90 minutes is "appropriate" movie length & lacking the drama/tears of LOTR...this movie is one they just won't get. For Tolkien fans and fans of the trilogy The Hobbit is tons of fun and has threads tying it to the other films with much more to be explored over two more movies. I can't wait for the extended cuts.

saw in 3D, and I do NOT think seeing it this way is necessary at all, its not overloaded w/ 3d effects.

LOVED the movie for same reasons stated above... read the books (Hobbit and LOTR) every summer from 6th grade through HS, so was glad to see the back stories added in.

Looking forward to the other parts!

I will see this at least 2 more times in theater ( IMAX, and plain old 2D).

There's just too much to take in in one sitting.

The Hobbit movie was just as an effective prequel to the LOTR movies as the original book was ('prelude' really) was to the LOTR books. Its more fairy tale like, not quite as dark, and does quite well for a story with no humans (yet). I loved how personalized the goblins were. But there was no Pale Orc in the original book, right? Two thumbs up.

Saw it first time in HFR 3d and second viewing was regular 2d -

2d 24 frame rate was the best it had the same feel and look as the LOTR trilogy -

48 frames is to much like a video game, it's quite distracting.

Saw it first time in HFR 3d and second viewing was regular 2d -

2d 24 frame rate was the best it had the same feel and look as the LOTR trilogy -

48 frames is to much like a video game, it's quite distracting.

Finally saw this a couple of days ago, and frequently thought of the video game analogy. I enjoyed parts, but as a whole was bored through many of the overblown action sequences, and annoyed by the deviations from the book. The Hobbit is a simple story, and I wish Jackson would have treated it as such. All the linking of the story to the Rings trilogy bogged it down, IMO, and I was wondering who that was for. Tolkien fans already know, and the casual viewer likely doesn't care. Overall, Jackson's Rings series was a triumph, but this felt more like cashing in than film-making. I wish DelToro would have worked out.

P.S. Jackson must have set the record for "hanging by a glove" moments in one movie.

Saw it last night. It was very entertaining....and very LONG......

IMO, there is zero need to lengthen the story, add other characters, villains, etc. Why can't film directors just leave things ALONE!! :huh: :huh: :huh:

Hmmm...long scares me. I tend to fall asleep in movie theatres regardless of the film (comfy chair in the dark and the noise doesn't bother me - I sleep to Tool :haz: ). I really want to see this movie in the theatre but have not yet had a chance (I prefer first show of the day so I lessen the chances of falling asleep). I really want to see Riddles in the Dark. A knockout scene from what everyone is saying. I don't know how they're working Galadriel and Legolas in...

I also want to re-read the book - it has been a long time since I've read it.

:cheers:

Saw it last night. It was very entertaining....and very LONG......

IMO, there is zero need to lengthen the story, add other characters, villains, etc. Why can't film directors just leave things ALONE!! :huh: :huh: :huh:

:codger: agreed :codger:

I saw it tonight. I agree its very long. Went on about 15 minutes past the time I thought it should end. The CGI is very well done. Didn't notice it at all except for one point during the under the mountain escape scene. It's going to be hard for them to squeeze 3 movies out of this story, so hopefully it's done well.

I saw it tonight. I agree its very long. Went on about 15 minutes past the time I thought it should end. The CGI is very well done. Didn't notice it at all except for one point during the under the mountain escape scene. It's going to be hard for them to squeeze 3 movies out of this story, so hopefully it's done well.

Two movies would have been enough, or one long one. But who can pass up the kind of cash they're getting per film?

I loved it. It was made so that when all three films are done you will be able to see all SIX films and have the whole story so I understand why they added to it so as to tie into The Lord Of The Rings movies. The 3D was incredibly well done and I felt transported to that world. My only complaint was the rabbits pulling the sled bit when they were being chased by the Orcs. It looked cartoonish and silly, but that is the only (very small) problem I had with it. Suspend your disbelief and enjoy. I can't wait until 2015 or so when you can get all six movies in a box set in director's cuts so I can take some time off and see the whole thing. I'm guessing each movie will top out at over 3 (or maybe 4 hours) so it will take a couple of days to see it all.