Heading over for a 2013 Canada date! Aussie needs help!

Ranger J

Hi All,

The girlfriend an I are planning to head to Canada next year for a 4 week holiday, and at the same time, incorportating a 2013 tour date, preferably either one of the Vancouver, Montreal or Toronto shows into the holiday.

...actually I lie, I'm planning on heading to a Rush gig and incorporating a 4 week holiday to Canada!

Anyway, last year I headed to the London tour date and had the tickets posted home (Perth, Australia) and I was getting a little anxious close to my depature date when the tickets hadn't arrive. Fortunately they did, a week or so before I left.

This time I don't want to rely on the tickets being sent, as we may leave home up to 4 weeks before the gig date. For the holiday, we're planning on getting a hire car and probably driving from Vancouver to Toronto.

The idea is once the dates are announced, buy tickets and organise the holiday itinerary around that date.

Now for my questions;

1. Out of the 3 cities I mentioned, which (in your opinion) is the best venue?

2. What do you suggest I should do regarding the postage/pickup of the tickets? Have them mailed to a hotel? A fellow TRF member?

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

RangerJ

I'd double check and make sure they'll accept an ID from another country though!

Good point.

As long as he brings his passport, driver's licence and credit card used to purchase the tickets he will be fine.

A passport is accepted as ID everywhere.

Who says they are gonna play Montreal and Toronto?? They played those 2 cities on the first leg. The major Canadian cities they didn't play on the first leg that I'm sure they WILL play are Vancouver, Calgary, Hamilton, Ottawa(my city) and Quebec City!!

I doubt they will hit Toronto and Montreal again on the 2nd leg!!

To answer your question though, I have been to all 3 venues. But I won't count Rogers Arena in Vancouver because it was for a hockey game. I saw the shows in Toronto and Montreal in October. It was my first show at the Air Canada Centre, and I liked it. Good sound overall, but the crowd was not too crazy. As for Montreal, I have seen many shows there(Rush twice), and the crowds are always quite rabid. Sounds is always amazing too!! I wouldn't recommend going to an Ottawa show if they do come here. Crowds are pathetic and the arena is really far from the city. Sound is always good though!!

I went to the Anaheim and LA CA concerts in November from New zealand. I picked up my tickets at the box office by showing 1 picture ID (passport or drivers licence ) and the visa card you purchased the tickets with. The live nation delux tickets get picked up in a different area than the standard box office tickets. Email with all the details will be sent to you first.

Have a great time - I know I did ,but I left thye wife and kids at home !

FYI, I picked up a couple of pre-sale tickets for the Vancouver show - had to get up at 4am Perth time. Section 117, Row 5 seat 1,2 which puts us on Alex's side, just a little up from the floor. Had a couple of reasonable (row 15) floor seats which I would have taken if the girlfriend weren't coming, as she's quite short and wouldn't be able to see a thing. Was no option to pick up the tickets at the venue though via the musictoday site? I dropped an email to the ticket provider to see if it is possible to do so. In the meantime I put in a postal address for a hotel in VC we will likely be staying at, and I plan on contacting the hotel in advance to hold onto the tickets until we arrive. Might be a bit of a gamble but was the only option I had at 4:30am - can always change the address later on I suppose. Edited by Ranger J

FYI, I picked up a couple of pre-sale tickets for the Vancouver show - had to get up at 4am Perth time. Section 117, Row 5 seat 1,2 which puts us on Alex's side, just a little up from the floor. Had a couple of reasonable (row 15) floor seats which I would have taken if the girlfriend weren't coming, as she's quite short and wouldn't be able to see a thing. Was no option to pick up the tickets at the venue though via the musictoday site? I dropped an email to the ticket provider to see if it is possible to do so. In the meantime I put in a postal address for a hotel in VC we will likely be staying at, and I plan on contacting the hotel in advance to hold onto the tickets until we arrive. Might be a bit of a gamble but was the only option I had at 4:30am - can always change the address later on I suppose.

I live in Vancouver and will be going to the show. If you want you can send them to my house and then we can meet up when you get to Vancouver. Another option, if you don't trust the hotel to look after them for 4 weeks, is to have me pick them up from the hotel. Then I can give them to you when you arrive. PM me if you are interested.

FYI, I picked up a couple of pre-sale tickets for the Vancouver show - had to get up at 4am Perth time. Section 117, Row 5 seat 1,2 which puts us on Alex's side, just a little up from the floor. Had a couple of reasonable (row 15) floor seats which I would have taken if the girlfriend weren't coming, as she's quite short and wouldn't be able to see a thing. Was no option to pick up the tickets at the venue though via the musictoday site? I dropped an email to the ticket provider to see if it is possible to do so. In the meantime I put in a postal address for a hotel in VC we will likely be staying at, and I plan on contacting the hotel in advance to hold onto the tickets until we arrive. Might be a bit of a gamble but was the only option I had at 4:30am - can always change the address later on I suppose.

I live in Vancouver and will be going to the show. If you want you can send them to my house and then we can meet up when you get to Vancouver. Another option, if you don't trust the hotel to look after them for 4 weeks, is to have me pick them up from the hotel. Then I can give them to you when you arrive. PM me if you are interested.

Thanks COTW, that's very generous of you and will take you up on that offer.

PM sent!

I am from the UK and have seen Rush and Marillion in the USA and Canada a few times, used the Will Call option a few times to pick up tickets and never had an issue with using a UK credit card or driving licence as ID.

Just thought I'd add a denoument to this posting...

Ranger J sent my address to Music Today to deliver the tickets to me.

Emails started passing back and forth between us as he was trying to figure out his itinerary. When I found that he was going to spend his first week in Vancouver, I asked him if he and his girlfriend would like to stay at our house with us instead of a hotel. They took us up on this offer. After that there were weekly emails back and forth concerning their itinerary and talking about our interests. Some people that I know thought that it was strange inviting someone you don't know to stay at your house. I explained that I wouldn't normally do it, but that Rush people are different; we are kind of like a family. I took time off from work so that I was available if they needed me. I let them know that I would be willing to show them what ever they wanted to see in Vancouver but I did not want them to feel obligated to hang out with my wife and I.

Ranger J and his girlfriend arrived and spent a wonderful week with us (it was nice that the weather was so good). It was even nicer that they are incredible people. We saw many of the Vancouver attractions (oh yeah and a Rush concert). We had a couple of wonderful meals at our favourite restaurant patio. We had a great evening at a restaurant on top of Grouse Mountain (beautiful view of Vancouver). The service was slow (so slow in fact that the whole meal and our drinks were complimentary) so we had lots of time to talk and watch the sun set and then see the city lit up. The evenings at home were spent drinking wine, talking, and sharing musical interests. I made sure they were up to date on all of the Canadian greats such as Dion, Twain, Bieber, and Nickelback. They introduced me to geocaching, which I am enjoying.

Ranger J and his girlfriend then took off for a two week tour of BC and Alberta with regular updates from them. They came back and stayed another night with us before heading out on an expedition to Alaska for a week. They left some of their stuff with us so that they could travel lightly while in Alaska.

This evening I met them at the airport to return the stuff that they had left with us and because they had a seven hour layover before heading back to Australia. We headed out to a pub/restaurant near the airport and had another great evening together. I then took them back to the airport and after a few awkward goodbyes I left. As I write this they are on a plane heading back to Australia.

I write this more as a bit of therapy for myself. Coming back home from the airport I feel quite an emptiness (after dropping off relatives I'm always in a good mood) knowing that it will be a while before I see them again. It is amazing what a week can do. My wife calls them our Australian kids (we are in our early 50s while they are in their mid 20s). They have invited us to Perth to visit them and we have all agreed that if the next Rush tour goes to South America that we will meet up there. These are not empty promises from any of us. In the meantime we will keep in touch by email.

The whole experience makes me appreciate being a Rush fan even more.

• Like 3

Awesome story. Sounds like you've got some new good friends out of the experience. I agree too, Rush fans are like family.