In your FACE, Josh Putterman!

rushgoober

I can't help but feel a certain vindication now that Rush is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

I don't know what anyone else's experience has been as a Rush fan over the years/decades, but my first several years as a fan in the 80's was one of dealing with tons of ridicule and derision for being a fan. The hatred of Rush seemed to go FAR beyond that of any other band I loved back then.

The most egregious hatred of Rush came from a friend of mine back then named Josh Putterman, to the point that he even wrote in my junior high school yearbook, in big capital letters over his photo - RUSH SUKS! For some reason it was popular back then to write sucks without the letter c. :huh:

I have no idea what Josh was listening to back then - probably something more lightweight like Styx, REO Speedwagon, Foreigner or Journey, but whatever it was, I never gave him a hard time for liking whomever it was like he did to me!

Anyway, just wanted to say in your FACE, Josh Putterman, BEEYOTCH, wherever you are! You might still hate the greatest band on earth, but they've achieved immortality over the decades as rock royalty, and now they're in the hall of fame. I hope you still hate them and have been tortured by them as long as I've loved them... and go suk it! ;) :P :moon:

P.S. - For those who are tired of the threads about the RRHOF, don't worry, they'll die down soon enough. And at least we won't have the same incessant threads every year about how they got snubbed and everyone (including me) with the same reactions every time. They're in - it's done! :cheers:

I can't help but feel a certain vindication now that Rush is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

I don't know what anyone else's experience has been as a Rush fan over the years/decades, but my first several years as a fan in the 80's was one of dealing with tons of ridicule and derision for being a fan. The hatred of Rush seemed to go FAR beyond that of any other band I loved back then.

The most egregious hatred of Rush came from a friend of mine back then named Josh Putterman, to the point that he even wrote in my junior high school yearbook, in big capital letters over his photo - RUSH SUKS! For some reason it was popular back then to write sucks without the letter c. :huh:

I have no idea what Josh was listening to back then - probably something more lightweight like Styx, REO Speedwagon, Foreigner or Journey, but whatever it was, I never gave him a hard time for liking whomever it was like he did to me!

Anyway, just wanted to say in your FACE, Josh Putterman, BEEYOTCH, wherever you are! You might still hate the greatest band on earth, but they've achieved immortality over the decades as rock royalty, and now they're in the hall of fame. I hope you still hate them and have been tortured by them as long as I've loved them... and go suk it! ;) :P :moon:

Don't worry, dude's last name is "Putterman" trust me he's suffering.

I was trying to remember who said that. Thanks for the memory jog, goob and MCM.

What a twit. I hope he's somewhere shaking his head in confusion (sun has turned black, world turned grey, faded stars, drained ocean). Probably, spending time with the LA Times pop music critic. They're sitting around discussing the virtues of Coldplay.

:eyeroll:

I always hear people saying (on BTL Stage for example) that Rush was never cool and that only nerds et cetera liked them. I have no idea what the hell everyone is talking about.

I grew up in Ottawa, (Ontario, Canada, not CA!) and let me assure you that, at least in MY high school, Rush was VERY cool. Everyone listened to them and every concert in Ottawa from 1976 on, was sold out to the "standing room only" point, in which they allowed in those days. For the Hemispheres show on Dec 21, 1979, you couldn't move in that arena, it was so packed!

Every musician was considered cool in my high school and every musician I knew learned how to play Rush. There was this young bassist named Peter Voisy and he could play Xanadu... and he had a goddam Rickenbacker 4001... a black one. He was very cool.

I never got too much shit about liking Rush. I'm an Upstate NY'er, and they have a big fanbase here. Only "shit" I got was from people who tired of hearing me talk about how awesome they were. I could talk about them all day. (Still could, but I have the adult sense to not wear-out people's ears with shit they don't care about.)

One thing I remember was debating who was the best drummer: Neil Peart or Rick Allen. (Def Leppard was hugely popular then, thanks to this new thing called MTV.) My friend Erin was a huge DL fan, I was a huge Rush fan, and we went a few rounds on musical subjects like this. I was ultimately vindicated, though: I reminded her of this story last year, on Facebook, and Erin said, "What was I thinking?? Of course, Neil Peart is WAY better!"